Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How about a Coach Slot? No, not a Coaching System.

How about a Coach Slot? No, not a Coaching System.

I'm not to sure how to frame this, but the idea is to give a non-player slot to a 6th person who can see anything his team can see, and allow for communication with them. This way, it can relieve some of the overhead of looking up information and giving direction from the individual players, so their focus can be directed into other aspects of the game.

Have a person who doesn't have to worry about executing the individual techniques of their Hero direct a team though a battle, or direct the overall game strategy. I believe such a thing would benefit the competitive scene overall by reducing the overall burden of information gathering from the players them selves and allow them focus on the actual execution of the game.

This wouldn't be something for match making, but for Private games, and shouldn't be too hard to implement if Valve or Icefrog actually wanted to give the idea a test.

A guy that can keep track of everyone's mana? sure why not

Realistically this could already be done with spectators by manually limiting vision to one team. Obviously nobody is going to "cheat" because it's for learning purposes.

Not a bad idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by CvP View Post
    retards don't count as people.

Basic Member
    I'd like to have a coaching system where the coach can takeover for 2-3 mins in order to show him something instead of pure watching because showing is sometimes easier then explaining ten years

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mittsies View Post
    Realistically this could already be done with spectators by manually limiting vision to one team. Obviously nobody is going to "cheat" because it's for learning purposes.

Not a bad idea though.
    That doesnt work because when youre watching replays, you are 2-3 minutes behind the action. I was spectating my friend, and told him "lol you gonna die in about 5 seconds". He died minutes ago XD

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Viperus View Post
    That doesnt work because when youre watching replays, you are 2-3 minutes behind the action. I was spectating my friend, and told him "lol you gonna die in about 5 seconds". He died minutes ago XD
    The delay on STV is there to prevent griefing. If this were to be implemented, the coach could have no delay.

As you have said it's only for Private games, I don't see why not. It could easily be toggled on/off. I'm not convinced that many people would use it though.

Basic Member
    People that would use coach slot to cheat : 99.99%
    People who actually want to coach somebody 0.01%

If you want to coach, use teamspeak and go play vs bots. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Viperus View Post
    People that would use coach slot to cheat : 99.99%
    People who actually want to coach somebody 0.01%

If you want to coach, use teamspeak and go play vs bots. Problem solved.
    Just like everyone used coaching in tf2 to call out the movements of every enemy player in order to make his team victorious.

Be realistic here. If it was put in private matches it could be a great way for players to have a 1:1 interaction with someone who's at a higher skill level than they are, and show them some things that they couldn't do just by explaining it.

I don't think the OP's idea of it is the same as mine, but I don't believe people would just use this as a way to cheat for seemingly nothing in return.

Basic Member
    This reminds me of Babyknight. He played starcraft 2 and offered couching in it. People kept asking him, if he would also coach them in dota. His response was "you can't coach people how to play dota. It is learning by doing". And i totally agree with him. Sure you can train them basics, but that can also be done by playing with them and tell them what to do.