Thread: Venomancer

Venomancer

In the Acid Jungles of Jidi Isle, poison runs in the veins and bubbles in the guts of every creature that scuttles, climbs or swoops between fluorescent vines dripping with caustic sap. Yet even in this toxic menagerie, Venomancer is acknowledged as the most venomous. An herbalist, his name long since forgotten, crossed the Bay of Fradj by coracle, searching for potent essences that might be extracted from bark and root, and found instead a nightmare transformation. Two leagues into Jidi's jungles, the herbalist encountered a camouflaged reptile, which stung him and instantly died. In desperation, he used his partial knowledge of the jungle's herbal bounty, mixing the venom of the dead creature with the nectar of an armored orchid, to compound an antidote. In the moments before black paralysis claimed him completely, he injected himself by orchid-thorn, and instantly fell into a coma. Seventeen years later, something stirred in the spot where had fallen, throwing off the years' accumulation of humus: Venomancer. The herbalist's mind was all but erased, and his flesh had been consumed and replaced by a new type of matter--one fusing the venom of the reptile with the poisonous integument of the orchid. Jidi's Acid Jungles knew a new master, one before whom even the most vicious predators soon learned to bow or burrow for their lives. But the lurid isle proved too confining, and some hunger deep in the heart of the old herbalist drove Venomancer out in search of new poisons--and new victims.

Two leagues into Jidi's jungles, the herbalist encountered a camouflaged reptile, which stung him and instantly died.
    I know it's a bit odd of a thing to take issue with, but the biologist in me is a bit bothered by this. The "sting you and die" thing works fine for bees because each individual bee is almost irrelevant to the hive, there are hundreds of thousands more like it and none of them will be reproducing, so making a sacrifice for the good of the group is logical. Reptiles are much larger animals, the suicidal sting idea is much less effective for them -- they're not eusocial, each reptile is worth far more than a single bee.

Anyways, I'm quite happy with the main story, other than it maybe feeling a tad isolated from other things.

Apart from what Otter said, I like the story.

But once again rather isolated on his island unlike Kunkka. The tropcial, poisonous jungle style of Jidi Island kinda fits the aztecan blood theme of Bloodseeker.

Basic Member
    Considering this forum is for general feedback not only criticism I'll give this one a thumbs up. Love Venomancer.
    The part about the instantly dying reptile is easily fixed by the herbalist killing it in self-defence (too late). But then again, what do we know of these reptiles :P

Otter the reptile doesn't die to stinging him and just like a bee can't survive without it's sting, but he dies due to the toxic's from veno's blood.

Some connections with other people it's a jungle so village, cities, metropoles, seas etc can be on either side i'd like more intervention between heroes their races origin and all in general. But it's a great story.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan View Post
    Otter the reptile doesn't die to stinging him and just like a bee can't survive without it's sting, but he dies due to the toxic's from veno's blood..
    I didnt really think about it like this, but that makes a lot of sense. Not sure if thats what was intended by the writers howeer.

Basic Member
    Otter the reptile doesn't die to stinging him and just like a bee can't survive without it's sting, but he dies due to the toxic's from veno's blood.
    At that point he's not "Venomancer", he's just a normal herbalist - so this explanation doesn't hold, assuming the (I'd guess human) herbalist doesn't have toxic blood.

i'd say he's already the venommancer... or somewhere between moral human herbalist... and venommancer...

Basic Member
    i'd say he's already the venommancer... or somewhere between moral human herbalist... and venommancer...
    The story suggests that he was a normal human before, and after injecting himself with the antidote that he made up, he began to turn into what we now know to be Venomancer.