Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: ...Timbersaw????

Quote Originally Posted by 1337_n00b View Post
    That's additional drama points to emphasise the point. Useful in certain cases, usually intended to be interpreted lightheartedly. I'd know. I'm still a living being even though it's been about a month since that thing came back.
    An additional drama point for this type of thing is threatening to stop playing the game or never buying anything from the store again. Threatening to kill yourself over something incredibly insignificant in a video game is just plain pathetic. Not to mention that suicide really should not be used as 'lightheartedly' over something like this. I enjoy dark humour as much as the next sadist, but this is neither hilarious nor even remotely appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by 1337_n00b View Post
    And let me punch an old theory to life - the driver became purple with the new texture updated. I'm starting to see a pattern here. Quite determined. Wicked even.
    I think you should be more keen in seeing patterns.
    To keep these forums clean and friendly, please read and follow the forum rules.
    Before making a new thread, be sure to have used search, as well as checking the stickies of the appropriate section.

Lore moderator.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hefaistus View Post
    An additional drama point for this type of thing is threatening to stop playing the game or never buying anything from the store again. Threatening to kill yourself over something incredibly insignificant in a video game is just plain pathetic. Not to mention that suicide really should not be used as 'lightheartedly' over something like this. I enjoy dark humour as much as the next sadist, but this is neither hilarious nor even remotely appropriate.
    Actually in situations like these I'd say that threatening to quit the game is actually more serious than suicide.
    A person may actually quit the game, but no one would kill themselves. Hence suicide is more like a 'I fucking hate this and I really hope this gets changed, but I can deal with it if I absolutely have to".

Hyperboles are kind of the story of the internet, you shouldn't treat them like a person saying it in real life as the use is different. Once people actually start saying things that aren't hyperboles on the internet, THEN you gotta watch out, cause then things get serious.

Basic Member Justinian of Hattes's Avatar
    Well jeez joking with over dramatics has now veered the topic completely off course. Back to the point, I played SHREDDER alot when i still had dota 1. So it makes me upset when my favorite hero is getting needlessly edited. But don't think I am not aware that it's just a game at the end of the day.

"I'm all for moderation, but sometimes it seems, moderation itself can be a kind of extreme."

Basic Member
    Timbersaw will probably be his real name, not his in-game name

"Timbersaw" describes his concept/design much better than "Goblin Shredder," or even Shredder in general. Now his name actually has something to do with trees. It doesn't "ruin" a single thing.
    ◕_◕

Quote Originally Posted by Arxos View Post
    Actually in situations like these I'd say that threatening to quit the game is actually more serious than suicide.
    A person may actually quit the game, but no one would kill themselves. Hence suicide is more like a 'I fucking hate this and I really hope this gets changed, but I can deal with it if I absolutely have to".
    Claiming to commit suicide implies anything but 'I can deal with it if I have to'. Besides, we all know no one will quit a game they love over a name change.

Quote Originally Posted by Arxos View Post
    Hyperboles are kind of the story of the internet, you shouldn't treat them like a person saying it in real life as the use is different. Once people actually start saying things that aren't hyperboles on the internet, THEN you gotta watch out, cause then things get serious.
    So because people are always using hyperboles, it suddenly becomes acceptable to threaten suicide over a name change? That's not a hyperbole, that's an extreme. A very pathetic one at that. You would do well to refrain from using that one in my vicinity, lest you wish to have this discussion every single time.

Quote Originally Posted by Justinian of Hattes View Post
    Well jeez joking with over dramatics has now veered the topic completely off course.
    Like I mentioned before, I am all about dark humour myself, but 'I will kill myself over this little change' is not a joke. Not even in bad taste. And I will call people out on it whenever I see it in my sections.

Quote Originally Posted by Honkers View Post
    Timbersaw will probably be his real name, not his in-game name
    With the way they altered the strings, it's going to be his in-game name.
    To keep these forums clean and friendly, please read and follow the forum rules.
    Before making a new thread, be sure to have used search, as well as checking the stickies of the appropriate section.

Lore moderator.

Basic Member
    well its more original than "treecutter" "treerazer" or some of those generic names that are a combinations of 2 words

and silencer looks like a mascot of a bubblegum brand now,cant stop imagining it blowing a bubblegum bubble in the protrait now.....

My theory: Valve have taken an early Christmas vacation, leaving behind their janitor to watch over the offices while they're gone. The janitor, who we'll name Terence Echies, has minimal game development experience. Wishing to live the life of a hotshot Valve dev, Mr. Echies decides to play around with the tools used to create the game. He jokingly changes Silencer's armour to a garish pink, and in his frankly disturbing attempt to make Krob's dress see-through he accidentally made it red. Meanwhile, he darkened Wisp's colours to those of sewer water, also as an innocent joke. He sees files for Shredder, and innocently thinking they're setting Valve up for another copyright debate, changes Shredder's name to the first thing that comes to mind - Timbersaw.

However, Echies accidentally releases this joke update to the client, which contains other materials that the devs had actually intended on releasing to the game, such as the bugfixes. Echies panics, and discovers that developer ChrisC has forgotten to sign out of his dev forum account (silly goose). Echies posts the patch notes that ChrisC had prepared for their return, passing the update off as legit.

~~~

Alright, so jokes aside I'm really not sure about Timbersaw. I can see where they're coming from with the name (think "sellsword" or something), but I don't see why the name change was necessary. If it's copyright reasons, then that's just unfair. A shredder is something you shove old bills in so people don't get your credit card details. I dunno. Maybe I'll learn to live with it.

Knowing Valve's business habits, I would not be surprised if their janitors were, in fact, able to produce pretty decent code and/or assets for Valve's products.

By the way, I can't be the only one that thinks of the guy below when the word 'Shredder' is mentioned.

Lore moderator.

Basic Member
    yeah the name shredder evokes that shredder too much so probably thats the reason of the nam change

I rmenber in the tf2 comentary mode they mentioned about how theyr first concept for the demoman looked too much like "a certain janitor of springfield" so they changed theyr phisical appeareance

EDIT: btw I think the new skin color for timbersaw is to turn it into one of the keen folk like sniper and company
    Last edited by RDMD; 12-06-2012 at 11:19 AM.