Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 31 to 35 of 35

Thread: [SUGGESTION] Increase team size limit

  1. #31
    Basic Member Berra_la's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    502
    Quote Originally Posted by daarkside View Post
    why would a team add players of lower solo skill to their roster and let them fuck up the overall ranking?
    why would a team play with diff lineup if they have massive teamplay deficit?
    Because most people play with their friends and don't care if they are at the exact same rating. I've been in many groups in my years of playing Dota and we have never been evenly skilled across all players.

    Your argument can just as easily be turned against you. Why would a team not add someone of greater skill than their team rating would suggest and proceed to stomp around until the rating has adjusted? ... and then end up on a long loosing streak when the regular ("bad") player returns.


    Fact is, if something can be abused.. it will be abused.
    I like the suggestion, but there is nothing in this thread suggesting how to do this without completely breaking team matchmaking.
    Last edited by Berra_la; 03-01-2013 at 04:20 AM.

  2. #32
    Basic Member soprof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    1,231
    Totally inacceptable in ranked games, obviously.

    And about custom games - I would like to see tons of them, and this could just be one of them.

  3. #33
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    36
    Or make a larger group and contains many teams like guild?

  4. #34
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by Berra_la View Post
    Because most people play with their friends and don't care if they are at the exact same rating. I've been in many groups in my years of playing Dota and we have never been evenly skilled across all players.
    if you do not focus on winning, why are u playing mm rating games then?
    Besides, if what you saying is true, that is the reason for valve to adjust, community is how community is, a good developer woul work with what he has got istead of denying it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Berra_la View Post
    Your argument can just as easily be turned against you. Why would a team not add someone of greater skill than their team rating would suggest and proceed to stomp around until the rating has adjusted? ... and then end up on a long loosing streak when the regular ("bad") player returns.
    Why would palyer of much greater skill level join a noob team? What would be the motivation? Own some other noobs? Do he realy need to be part of a noob team? Cant he do it anywhere anytime?
    And how often do u think this would happen? Do you realy think this not very well bred individuals wouldn do it anyway, in a free to play game... Create new account and let the stomping beginn, where ever and how ever you like it.
    The other point is the time for the clan after the highskilled dude left, HORRIBLE ASS RAPES for DAYS, why would they want that? Why would they want to run behind a highskilled and let him carry them, how is it fun? why would a big part of the comm want that? There is no reason to do such bullshit exept character flaws.

    Dont look from this pissimistic point of view, yes some ppl are fucked up, but most arent, for the biggest part of the community a good feature is a good feature, dispite some flaws which rarely touch them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Berra_la View Post
    Fact is, if something can be abused.. it will be abused.
    I like the suggestion, but there is nothing in this thread suggesting how to do this without completely breaking team matchmaking.
    a massive abuse need a proper reward, every ladder ranks that are somehow linked with a reward(valve will offer something, i hope) should have stricter(pro focused) rules for every participating team. 98% of the whole dota comm will never reach that reward level, u cant expect them to behave(or not behave in most cases) like pros. You cant force a bunch of noobs to be in a 5 man team, to start practice on regular dates at fixed time, they are noobs, they dont even know how competetive they want to play this game, they just start, its about fun and getting better. Force them to something agains their way of playing the game and you actively reduce their fun. The team MM should focus on motivating noobs and keep them going, so new talents can arise from the bottom. Eventially they will understand themself that a fixed 5 man lineup +1-2 standins is the right aproch, they will find out how they do best and start to work towards that direction, they have an motivation to have a small and very active team, but till that point they should be able to do what ever noobs at their level want to do.

  5. #35
    Basic Member Berra_la's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    502
    Quote Originally Posted by daarkside View Post
    if you do not focus on winning, why are u playing mm rating games then?
    Besides, if what you saying is true, that is the reason for valve to adjust, community is how community is, a good developer woul work with what he has got istead of denying it.
    I don't play in team matchmaking, but if I did. I would play with a team of players I liked playing with.. not caring overly much how skilled we were since matchmaking should take care of that.. and try to win.

    I doubt every player goes tryhard mode every single game. I play some games with a hero i like but might suck with.. sometimes I just play to win no matter what.. but most of the time somewhere in the middle. The reason I play mm is to be matched with players around my level. Even if I play a less serious game I'm still (warning, brag mode sponsored by Dotabuff) gonna be in the top 2% and would rather not play with the massive masses who are.. lets say "new" to the game.

    Quote Originally Posted by daarkside View Post
    Why would palyer of much greater skill level join a noob team? What would be the motivation? Own some other noobs? Do he realy need to be part of a noob team? Cant he do it anywhere anytime?
    And how often do u think this would happen? Do you realy think this not very well bred individuals wouldn do it anyway, in a free to play game... Create new account and let the stomping beginn, where ever and how ever you like it.
    The other point is the time for the clan after the highskilled dude left, HORRIBLE ASS RAPES for DAYS, why would they want that? Why would they want to run behind a highskilled and let him carry them, how is it fun? why would a big part of the comm want that? There is no reason to do such bullshit exept character flaws.
    They don't need to do it on purpose. If a group is larger than 5, the skill level of the group as a whole will differ depending on who is currently playing.

    Quote Originally Posted by daarkside View Post
    Dont look from this pissimistic point of view, yes some ppl are fucked up, but most arent, for the biggest part of the community a good feature is a good feature, dispite some flaws which rarely touch them.
    I have nothing against the feature as a whole, but do it right, or not at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by daarkside View Post
    a massive abuse need a proper reward, every ladder ranks that are somehow linked with a reward(valve will offer something, i hope) should have stricter(pro focused) rules for every participating team. 98% of the whole dota comm will never reach that reward level, u cant expect them to behave(or not behave in most cases) like pros. You cant force a bunch of noobs to be in a 5 man team, to start practice on regular dates at fixed time, they are noobs, they dont even know how competetive they want to play this game, they just start, its about fun and getting better. Force them to something agains their way of playing the game and you actively reduce their fun. The team MM should focus on motivating noobs and keep them going, so new talents can arise from the bottom. Eventially they will understand themself that a fixed 5 man lineup +1-2 standins is the right aproch, they will find out how they do best and start to work towards that direction, they have an motivation to have a small and very active team, but till that point they should be able to do what ever noobs at their level want to do.
    1-2 standins, I can buy that.. maybe. Valve could start there and see what happens. Shouldn't affect the team very much. But... lets go back to the OP's whishes. A clan of size 20+. You'll be facing completely new teams using the same rating. There is no way any clan keep a balanced enough roster to make that clans rating fair.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •