Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Let there be data!

If I recall, the data linked in the OP is not MySQl but is actually Postgre. Are you using the right tool?

The error you posted is related to it not understanding the non-UTF8 characters.

I believe I'm using PostgreSQL; the code I used I found on a postgreSQL tutorial online. In any case, I'm on a mac, which might explain the UTF-8 thing. Any idea how I might be able to work around that?

EDIT: What character encoding is the .backup file in?
    Last edited by OnionChild; 02-03-2013 at 05:45 PM.

The problem is all the people with non UTF8 characters in their name. I don't use Postgre, so hopefully OP or someone can help you better.

Basic Member
    By default postgres doesn't create UTF-8 databases but you can fix it easily. But, do you really say that the player names include NON UTF-8 characters?

The official documenation of the API says "All persona names are returned as UTF-8".
    Source: https://partner.steamgames.com/documentation/api

I have seen people in-game with non-UT8 names. Also straight out of the error log posted:
    ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xa0
    invalid command \?p?~?fN????˃?+W?>B?[????g!?3??E
    ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xeb 0xc3 0x1b
    invalid command \?
    invalid command \j?
    invalid command \
    invalid command \?B???r????X??f?
    ???A?
    invalid command \S????CKA?
    ?Ӗ3???L?????H$+??-???????
    ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xd5 0xc6
    If I recall somewhere in this thread, the OP purported that PostGRE was used (instead of mysql) because it could handle special characters "better". It would only be a consideration if there were special characters in the database.

This lead me to the immediate logical conclusion that this is a special character problem.

Having worked with the data myself (from a different DB posted), I had significant issues with special chars too. I ended up just dropping player name as I did not really need it anyway.