Thread: [Suggestion] Timbersaw : Whirling Death alternative sound on Pure damage

Basic Member

[Suggestion] Timbersaw : Whirling Death alternative sound on Pure damage

The idea : Give Whirling Death ability 2 alternative sound types.
    Either one of two options :
    1. Keep current sound of Whilring Death for when ability deals "Magical Damage" and create alternative sound for when it deals "Pure Damage" due to cutting a tree in the process.
    2. Keep current sound of Whirling Death for when ability deals "Pure Damage" due to cutting a tree in the process and create alternative sound for when it deals "Magical Damage"

Nature of Change :
    In case 1 : Alternative sound for when "Pure" damage procs should be amplified, sound like that Tree/Trees that were cut in the process gut cut down as well (As in current sounds like pure clockwork sawblade by themselves). I'd suggest something in tones of Chainsaw sound from Serious Sam game (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcF9_1mswqA), somehow that sound is memorable to me. Left 4 Dead 2 Chainsaw sound wouldn't be unfit too I believe. The amplificatino doesn't have to be extreme, just a note that lets players hear that they did cause Pure Damage.
    In case 2 : Alternative sound for when "Magic" damage procs should be slightly lesser, dimmer than the "Pure" one. If we go by option 2, simply muting it down by a couple percent and decreasing pitch might work.

Reasoning : Dota has a lot of visual and audio ques for various procs and abilities. Examples can be critical strike sounds, Mjollnir/Orb Effects in general. They add to a couple areas of the game : immersion (abilities feel more fleshed out due to additional care put into them - like Reactive Armor visuals!) ; overall presentation (The more the prettier, right? To a healthy degree) ; flow of data that Player receives
    Explaning : While it's possible to read out wether pure damage has been applied by simply looking at enemie's health bar, I believe the more player knows without even having to look for a strip of data in terms of his own abilities the better. Basically, if I close my eyes and cast of all Bane's abilities, I will know wether I sleeped someone, I will know if it jumped, I will distinguish Enfeeble, Brain Sap and Grip easily , in case of Timbersaw I will never know the difference between Pure and Magic Whirling Death unless I check damage done and target's HP. Here's how it would be better if I actually did receive the audio input about it's damage type : twitch habits would be possible to develop based entirely on hearing, promoting players to achieve that sound more often than the "magical" one, thus making learning Timbersaw a more natural process. You'd be encouraged to get Tree-assisted Whirling Death's based on it's modified sound, as you know that it's better on paper and your brain matches that "better" with apropriate sound que (once again, you could replace all of the "sound/audio" with visuals, but I believe alternative animation is less fitting for this ability, unless we throw in random tree fragments scattering around when he does the Pure damage variant).
    This would also promote learning habits against Timbersaw. Players would feel discouraged to repeat their movements if they got hit by "soundlier Whirling Death" instead of "less-soundy Whilring Death", based on same idea of brain matching things around when it comes to Dota twitch skills, thus promoting smart positioning in play against Timbersaw.

Note : This would barely affect the higher level scene, as I believe some players there could notice a pixel of change, thus falling tree isn't something that could escape their eyes, but in that case they don't lose anything , as this only adds onto existing concept, and gain something to brag about maybe on streams (12 "cool" whirling deaths in a row guys!), as well as receive a tool for clutch-situations (where difference of 1-10 hp matters) that directly tells them wether they did more or less damage. However in terms of players learning the game, this would both promote proper focus of attention <getting the most out of positioning, both as and against Timbersaw> and add onto the game.

Note 2 : It could be argumented that this is already in the game, as for the Pure damage to happen a tree has to be cut in the process, and these have their sound, however I find that trees getting cut/destroyed is rather general sound for variety of things like : tangoes, quelling blade, abilities that simply destroy trees without additional benefit due to it (like Wild Axes). This makes it so hearing a tree fall doesn't exactly have a direct tie-in with Timbersaw mechanics, especially since it is common sound when he uses Timberchain and Chakram, neither of which benefits from cutting trees as well (unless we count clearing path, but that's beside the point as we are talking about direct ability amplyfing, not strategic advanatage).

I stopped reading at "give whirling death alternative sound on pure damage" because that's already an auto-implement idea by itself

wp

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Invoqwer View Post
    I stopped reading at "give whirling death alternative sound on pure damage" because that's already an auto-implement idea by itself

wp
    Details don't hurt

Basic Member
    I agree, this would be nice. To make it even fancier maybe leaf particles could fly off the blade when it hits a tree, it would be mostly unnoticeable, but still a nice touch.

+1 Also the tree should swing around and hit you in the FACE !!!! : )
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibubu View Post
    Sure, it looks a bit silly, but this helmet makes more sense than ~50% of Furions cosmetics that are already in the game. And its not like he's wielding a wooden penis (one can easily make a penis shaped staff out of wooden branch and there are no arguments why it could not be done). The Acorn helmet is actually VERY fitting since it's natural shape is used. Also it is used for it's quality to withstand blows.
    Wow, amazing insight.