Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Dear Devs: Please make hero names consistent as all Titles, not names

Basic Member
    Is anyone out there actually confused by this?
    Trouble finding your hero or remembering who's who?

I really don't think this is an issue. Less names to remember. If you just joined from Dota 1, you'll catch on quickly.

Sure, some people still throw out old names ("why would you pick naix", "furion p top"), but I've never seen this be an actual problem in communication ("who's naix? oh. Thx")

Basic Member
    Well i am from dota 1, but names are pretty important. To me the colors are hard for other plays to respond to, i call purple he responds 5 sec later and gray isnt gray. But if i call hero name they respond faster.

However players new to dota 2 or never played wc dota would not know who naix is if they never read the lore in learning section. I think it would be nice to add their name somewhere and also when u pick heroes, show their skills, lore, and name.

Back to topic: yes we need consistency. +1

Quote Originally Posted by BNi-PoweR. View Post
    Some names cannot be used like Furion, Priestess of the Moon, Tauren Chieftain, etc... because Blizzard owns it.
    As I mentioned already, copyright is NOT the main issue, it is a separate issue that is merely somewhat related but does not contribute to the inconsistencies. They have already changed names (Rikimaru -> Riki, Furion -> Tequoia), and already changed titles (Goblin Shredder -> Timberclaw, Obsidian Destroyer -> Outworld Destroyer, Priestess of the Moon -> Princess of the Moon, and even then they label her Mirana though they gave her a new title). Copyright name changes are NOT the issue here, in actuality there are two separate issues.

Issue 1: Valve has not yet come up with BOTH a lore name AND a lore title yet for EVERY hero since they thought of tackling this as they went. So they are doing this one step at a time. Thus some heroes don't even have lore names yet (like Anti-Mage, whose name used to be Magina?) However this has lead to a mess in the names in the game, titles and names mixed up galore. The all have a label, but what good is a label if it doesn't tell us what kind of label it is? Is it a name label? Is it a title label?

Issue 2: As a result of issue 1, Valve has decided to just throw into the hero pick whatever "label" they currently have for that hero. Even then, it's not consistent, some of their heroes have both titles and names, yet they in-game label the heroes sometimes with their name, sometimes with their title, even when NO COPYRIGHT ISSUES ARE AT STAKE.

Though some heroes currently do not have lore names, every hero has a TITLE even if they don't have a lore name (yet). Hence we should name them all for now by titles, with lore names as a sub-heading or addendum.

Also, note the upcoming heroes:
    Unreleased Hero status

"These are heroes that are currently in a moderately advanced state of development by Valve and should be released "soon". Note: The heroes are ranked in order of state of development present in Dota 2 beta files, not in order of release.
    Unreleased Hero status

LABEL Type
    Medusa <--- lore name
    Troll Warlord <---lore title
    Bristleback <---lore title
    Tuskarr <---lore title

Even with upcoming releases this is still very, very much inconsistent. What gives?

Lamprey, devs, please respond!
    Last edited by walkthewok; 01-01-2013 at 02:50 AM.

Basic Member
    It would be a good reason, that it's not a main issue at the moment, so until they release it, they just go with this labeling. The thing with the name-title pair is how much and why do we need it?

1. It's clear that on progaming level it doesn't really matter, everyone knows everything, they occupy one phrase easily, also mostly use shortrened names for faster communication.

2. The names come from the past, so the game and the gamers history with dota is something that calls this urge to settle this question, and thus we discuss it right here. Also this history gave the communication a level, a layer or a group of players a register that uses these old names and titles untill nowadays, which makes it harder for new players. And don't fear the new ones, I don't think that would be so hard to learn the 2 different things. Also from the names or titles the ones stuck in the heads were those which you could learn or write/say easier.

3. So why do we need them anyway? The current lables not always the ones which stuck. Also, and this is more importaint to me: it gives the game something special and brings closer to you. I know it's not the best argument, but something with a proper name makes it you more familiar, and makes you to stick with the game more. A way for valve to pump the addiction potential of dota.

Edit: Gorgon was Medusa's name. And if there's a law issue it can be slipped without any trouble: just rename it, that not all of the heroes... a necessary bad. Btw slip away with names: there's a settlement in Ethiopia. Gorgon e.g. is mythical, sue the ancient greeks! And I think one can find more.
    Last edited by Artanis; 01-05-2013 at 06:20 PM.

I like the minor inconsistency.

Imo names are not optimal at all. The average player won't know who Lesale Deathbringer is. They'll remember who Venomancer is, because he's a giant poison snake thing. This is true of a ton of heroes. Nobody without lots of time will easily remember what a Karroch is. But name him Beastmaster and it's easy to know because he's the dude with the axes who controls beasts. Sometimes too, it's just shorter to use the title, like in Ursa's case. Seriously, some of these characters have really weird names and it's not outright clear to anyone who you're talking about unless you're "in the know." I don't even have to know what a Dota is to know what Venomancer might do. Or that Ursa is a bear. The hell is a Magina? Oh, he's an Anti-Mage, he must hate magic and be able to disrupt mages.

The opposite however for someone like Meepo. Meepo's name is super easy to remember. Him being a Geomancer is not exactly memorable. His earth ties are not really stressed at all on the character, his lore, or anything beside some particles on his abilities. I hear Geomancer and I picture someone more like Earthshaker or Tiny, and I'm sure I'd not be the only one. Same for Magnus (his title is a made up species of animal lol). I don't even know Slark's title. Nightcrawler? That's not really obvious for a prisoner fish dude who can turn into a giant cloud of darkness.

Valve seems to smartly go with the name more easily remembered by the most people. The "obvious" name of the character, whether in some cases that's their title or in some other cases their real name.
    Last edited by ned_ballad; 01-05-2013 at 10:12 PM.

Basic Member
    +1, I hate how some heroes have titles while others have names, and one of them can't be seen anywhere

Basic Member
    Using Lifestealer instead of N'aix was definitely a mistake.

Basic Member
    Your arguments are ad hoc. You only point out the ones you agree with, also there were other reasons that a lot of people wants to make a better system.

I'm still saying that heroes should have both. I think there's enough place for it, it does not take up that much space, and everyone can have his/her tranquility.

Basic Member
    I can't see why we don't have
    Name
    Title

I've read this and the previous thread in lore and really, it makes me sad the excuses people come up with. "It's too difficult to remember a name and a title"
    Really? Since when is the average person mentally retarded? In the early 20th century two brothers invented an airplane, I don't see why the average dota player can't remember a name and title. It was in Dota 1 and no one died from memory strain and data overload. It's insanely easy to remember she is Rylai the Crystal Maiden or Lesale Deathbringer the Venomancer, especially since I played the original Dota and it was presented to you everytime you picked the hero. It wasn't confusing or difficult at all, no matter what people say.

People don't refer to the hero as Rylai they call her Crystal Maiden. Well of course they call her Crystal Maiden because the choice for the name was taken away. It's like if I had a menu that had a meal called cheeseburger, then said "people don't call it the tasty meatwich so i might as well not call it that on the menu even though I never exposed the general public to the name unless you were at the other restaurant I own in a different state."

There are really 2 large groups to think about. The people that care about lore and the people that don't even care. I actually like Lore even though Dota 2's lore is pretty bad. Why not cater to Original Dota players and any player that cares about lore? I doubt there is a large group of players who hate this game because it has lore. The players that don't read other hero's backgrounds and mute in-game sound probably won't think twice if you add Hero's name and title.

The inconsistency is also slightly silly. Crystal Maiden and Lina are sisters and yet one is called Crystal Maiden and the other uses a name. Especially since Crystal Maiden is a human it makes no sense that her title is how she would be recognized. Yes, the president would be referred to as the President, but his friends and family call him Barack and I know for sure there are people out there that call him Barack when discussing him.

I could go on but I would like to listen to other people's responses. Remember, people aren't stupid. The human race is pretty damn smart. It's like how Riot games says they won't put a spell like Rupture in LoL because it's anti-fun burden of knowledge bullcrap. Riot pretty loosely says "It's too difficult for the player to make the decision whether to run and get hurt or stay still and get hurt and then the player doesn't know what the spell does and the player is an idiot and can't think without someone holding their hand." So, let me ask you those who say we shouldn't have Name and titles; Why aren't you playing League of Legends?
    Last edited by nova4891; 01-08-2013 at 04:57 AM.

we don't want to make this already difficult to get into game any harder to get into.

Players know what Anti-Mage does just from his title. It's easy to remember, and it tells you what you need to know. It's easier to remember real world words like that then to try and remember lots of different names, some of which are hard to distinguish, and some others are used interchanged with other names (like Furion, who isn't called that at all in Dota 2, but still is by players)