Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rewind feature

supporting this rewind cause as video maker its painfull to watch whole replay to the right section and record it again from different angle or remake that shot, also if you missed something in big mess fight it can help also to return and watch it in slo-mo

Basic Member
    search for demoui on google

Basic Member
    t-up for rewinding replays. It would make the life of video editors and commentators so much easier!

Basic Member
    Yes, we need this.Just like in starcraft 2 we should be able to go back to a certain point.

Basic Member
    Agreed that we need this, and agreed that it's OK if it breaks the preceding beta replays.

Rescuing this. Just tell us your are going to break old replays with a few days of time. But do do it ASAP, before it pisses off more people when you do break them
    Motanum's Website
    Portal Maps - Motanum's Cheating Test
    Portal 2 Maps - Motanum's Test 01 | Main Four

Steam ID

Like my work? Spare a coin? You can donate via PayPal at eugenio.motanum [AT] gmail.com

Basic Member
    This is how i thought replays works. correct me if im wrong ^^, tried to explain it as good as i could.

why jump/skip is really hard in replays of most games is because the information in a replay is just build around changes and not exact positioning of everything (just hero1 move 100yard left use X on Y, doesnt say where on the map he is).
    So you need to load 00:00-10:00 to be able to to know where everyone is at 10:00, This means its just like fast farward in the speed of 100x (impossible).
    One thing they can do is for example save all information (positioning, hp, cooldowns, items e.tc.) every xx:00. so you will be able to jump between whole minutes (think starcraft 2 did this). but will make replays bigger, and probally break all old replays.

Reading information backwards (rewind) is close to impossible. except doing the replays probably atleast 2x as big (need to track all spells/dots/damage when it hits and just not when itīs casted, and need to track everything when its stops moving, just not the "move to this position with this speed,).

So in the end it breaks down to how big should a replay be, and how much information can be in it before a normal computer lags while playing it, and of course the server cost of hosting them if they do them a a lot bigger.
    and thatīs why i don't really care, i really understand Valve if they don't want to make them to big, will be more work for the computer recording, and for the uploading, and server space.

Basic Member
    jump to any point of the replay would be awesome.