Thread: [Confirmed]Refraction attack charges used up incorrectly

Basic Member

[Confirmed]Refraction attack charges used up incorrectly

Winter said today on the G League stream that TA's refraction charges that are applied to her auto attacks are used up incorrectly in dota 2 compared to the original.

A charge is used up after the auto attack hits rather than at the start of the attack. So cancelling the attack will not use up a charge like it would in the original. This is similar to Timbersaw's reactive armour and Centaur's return iirc (they proc at the start of an attack and will still go through on an animation cancel), however these were fixed before the heroes reached the main client.

Is this statement indeed correct and making TA stronger than she should be in dota 2?

Edit: Bug info: Templar Assassin's refraction charges (extra damage charges) are used up when TA's autoattack hits, rather than when TA's attack starts.

Repro:
    -Use TA's Refraction ability
    -Attack a valid target with TA with damage refraction charges still present

Result: Refraction charges used up when TA's autoattack hits the target.

Expected Result: Refraction charges should be used up at the start of TA's attack.
    Last edited by DLRevan; 01-04-2013 at 05:32 AM.

Possibly. There is also a nasty bug with her still not fixed.

Basic Member
    I would guess it was somewhat intentional, but I'm not sure.

related question, how do her charges react to a miss? (both in dota 1 and dota 2, i am unaware.)

Winter is not correct. Refraction is a triggered heal in wc3 Dota, and blocks damage only when a damage event is registered.

Cancelled attacks, evaded attacks, any situation where TA would not normally receive damage, will not trigger a charge on Refraction. Attacks that use Hp removal also will not remove a charge.

He might have confused this with some funny wc3 interactions when cancelling attacks in order to splash damage dagon or some other damage spell with psi blades. Either that or he mixed up Event_Unit_Attacked and Event_Unit_damaged in the way triggered heals work.
    Last edited by DLRevan; 01-03-2013 at 08:30 PM.
    Always read and follow the forum rules. If you need help from a moderator, use the report button ()
    Before posting new bugs:
    -Check the Known Bugs List and search the forum for an existing report.
    -Make sure its a bug (test in WC3 Dota, visit playdota guides and adv. mech, etc). If you're still not sure, post in Mechanics and Gameplay Bug Brainstorming instead.
    -Read the Bug Posting Guidelines on how to report a bug properly.

Basic Member
    i really hate pros/commentators spreading untrue info especially on game mechanics... coz ppl easily believe them
    edit: probbably misunderstood what winter means. apology in advance.
    Last edited by Eric37073; 01-04-2013 at 02:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DLRevan View Post
    Winter is not correct. Refraction is a triggered heal in wc3 Dota, and blocks damage only when a damage event is registered.

Cancelled attacks, evaded attacks, any situation where TA would not normally receive damage, will not trigger a charge on Refraction. Attacks that use Hp removal also will not remove a charge.

He might have confused this with some funny wc3 interactions when cancelling attacks in order to splash damage dagon or some other damage spell with psi blades. Either that or he mixed up Event_Unit_Attacked and Event_Unit_damaged in the way triggered heals work.
    I think he was talking about the damage part; not the block part.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CvP View Post
    well, then that's true. spamming s quickly consumes all charges
    i think it can be fixed just like kunkka's tidebringer. odd mechanics though
    Last edited by Eric37073; 01-04-2013 at 03:12 AM.

Fixing that may very well be a good way to nerf her a little bit.

Disabling her during her Attack Animation or using a defensive spell like Phaseshifts to cancel 1 charge can be crucial in a 1on1 situation. It got fixed for Shredder, why not for TA.

Quote Originally Posted by CvP View Post
    Doh. Right.

Will add as a bug then.
    Always read and follow the forum rules. If you need help from a moderator, use the report button ()
    Before posting new bugs:
    -Check the Known Bugs List and search the forum for an existing report.
    -Make sure its a bug (test in WC3 Dota, visit playdota guides and adv. mech, etc). If you're still not sure, post in Mechanics and Gameplay Bug Brainstorming instead.
    -Read the Bug Posting Guidelines on how to report a bug properly.