Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The "Your game is ready" sound.

Banned

The "Your game is ready" sound.

Guys,

I believe that the sound made by the game when it has found your game is very annoying. The reasons are that not only it is too loud, but also the loud portion is right at the begining of the sound.
    Think about this: if you want to scare someone with a sound, how do you do it? You put them in a quiet environment and then suddently "BOOOM" - strong sound out of nowhere.

This is exactly how this works and it has startled me a couple times to the point that I dislike it very much. Usually as it takes few minutes to find a game, you usually alt-tab or do something else and then this sound comes.
    My suggestion would be to replace it with something else with two properties : much softer as well as less front loaded. Make a sound that builds up to the loud part so that the player expects it.

I hope you understand what I mean.

Banned
    I think its supposed to be loud to pull you out of your concentration.
    E.g. : You're watching a video in the steam browser.

Banned
    As I said, I don't mind it being loud per se - my main problem is the fact that it's loud with no preparation. A sound that ramps up to being loud would be much less annoying because your ears expect what's coming.
    Also, there could be an option of bringing the game in the foreground if you are alt-tabbed when the game is ready: it should be a reasonable thing to do given that basically you are waiting for the game to start.

its classical conditioning to condition you to be afraid of finding matches

Banned
    what?

It is only loud if you do not have dota2 on focus.

+1

Unnecessarily annoying.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CvP View Post
    It is only loud if you do not have dota2 on focus.
    I understand the purpose, and given that time to find a game ranges from 2 to 5 minutes, most people have it minimized.
    It would be beneficial to bring dota in front when game is found, as well as make a more artistically suited sound.

If we compare to other games you'll perfectly see what I mean.
    Starcraft II "game found" sound is a lot deeper, starts smooth and then ramps up the sound to a louder tone, while the top values are still not as stringent as Dota's
    League's game found sound follows pretty much the same rules: smooth start, then a ramp up and the maximum is not that irritatingly high.
    Warcraft III ladder games used the same principle for the sounds.
    These games also bring the client into the foreground when this even happens as most likely the majority of players want this to happen.

All in all, not a major thing, but something which has been annoying me for a long time and felt like an unfinished/unpolished feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Mujelexi View Post
    I understand the purpose, and given that time to find a game ranges from 2 to 5 minutes, most people have it minimized.
    It would be beneficial to bring dota in front when game is found, as well as make a more artistically suited sound.

If we compare to other games you'll perfectly see what I mean.
    Starcraft II "game found" sound is a lot deeper, starts smooth and then ramps up the sound to a louder tone, while the top values are still not as stringent as Dota's
    League's game found sound follows pretty much the same rules: smooth start, then a ramp up and the maximum is not that irritatingly high.
    Warcraft III ladder games used the same principle for the sounds.
    These games also bring the client into the foreground when this even happens as most likely the majority of players want this to happen.

All in all, not a major thing, but something which has been annoying me for a long time and felt like an unfinished/unpolished feature.
    bringing in front when game is found is a baaaad idea. Will cause a lot of missclicks on decline if youre doing something else

I have no issues with how it sounds when out of focus. I routinely accept games after alt-tabbing.