Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestion: Positivity Filter!

Basic Member

Lightbulb Suggestion: Positivity Filter!

If in the wrong forum, mods please move.

The Dota 2 community has a reputation of being rather harsh on newer, low skilled members, which makes it a turn off for casual gamers. I had a great idea which would tackle the problem of Negative Nancy's in Dota: filter negatively charged comments into positive ones.

For example:
    "You fucking suck n00b0 lolololol"
    becomes
    "I want to pick flowers with you! "

"Uninstall your brain fagg0t"
    becomes
    "I want to give you a big hug! "

"I hope your parents die"
    becomes
    "May you and your loved ones live a long and prosperous life!"

And so on. I think it would just need an algorithm to identify negative phrases in game (it's not meant to be a profanity filter) geared towards other players and turn them into happy-go-lucky positive ones.

The point of this would be to discourage negativity by making it ridiculous and thus turning that Frowning Franklin into an Embarrassed Emily and that Sad Sam into a Smiling Sarah.
    While hazing in Dota is often educational (i.e. Don't max Decrepify before Nether Blast on Pugna you retard, or LOL HUSKAR WITH VLADS GFG), it still makes it difficult for new players to enjoy the game; nobody likes being trash talked, and this is likely to turn off many players. We need to make the Dota community into a positive, accepting, and inviting one, not a bitter, hateful, "winning is everything" one.

Quote Originally Posted by dat warlord View Post
    Mom, those guys from the internet are mean to me again ;_;
    Fixed.
    You say Justin Bieber? I say Flux Pavilion
    You say Lady Gaga? I say Zomboy
    You say Hannah Montana? I say Skrillex
    You say Jonas Brothers? I say Doctor P
    You say Taylor Swift? I say Modestep
    You say Owl City? I say Nero
    90% of people listen to modern pop crap. 10% listen to real music. If you are one of the 10% repost this signature the keep the spirit of dubstep alive!

Aside from being a tad silly suggestion. You can't hope to cover up every single variation of an insult you could get with every language. Not to mention that a system that attempts this will likely misfire and end up blotching communication with your team. Report flamers and move on, eventually they won't ever leave LPQ.

Basic Member
    Actually, it was done in a lot of games, especially in the famous CounterStrike (or how some call it "CheaterStrike" or as I like to call it "CamperStrike").
    There was a plugin that if it encountered "bad words" defined in a list it'd delete the sentence and replace it with things like "I should wash my mouth with soap" or "I can't believe I kiss my parents with this mouth". Other "light" versions just replaced the word with "*". So basically: **** you instead of the obvious.

I wouldn't mind this as an option

Basic Member
    Well the difference between a profanity filter and this is that a profanity filter just blocks the words. My suggestion would bring smiles to dota instead of tears, and make negative players feel really stupid.

Basic Member
    Well the difference between a profanity filter and this is that a profanity filter just blocks the words. My suggestion would bring smiles to dota instead of tears, and make negative players feel really stupid.
    I'd rather see stupid players feeling stupid...
    match making generates rage

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ORLY View Post
    I'd rather see stupid players feeling stupid...
    Negativity doesn't win games; if you haven't noticed, pissing off your team mates makes them want to spite you. Telling a new player what items and skills to get help him or her better adjust to the game. On the other hand, telling a new player than his or her parents should die, calling him a fag, telling him to play LoL, and so on, will likely cause one of two things: Griefing and Muting; the former leads to lost games, the latter leads to a lack of communication.

My idea is great for obvious reasons.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Irrelevante View Post
    Aside from being a tad silly suggestion. You can't hope to cover up every single variation of an insult you could get with every language. Not to mention that a system that attempts this will likely misfire and end up blotching communication with your team. Report flamers and move on, eventually they won't ever leave LPQ.

Of course you can't cover up every variation, but you can knock out the obvious phrases. The flamer should be shunned, and this a progressive way to go about doing that by discouraging flaming rather than punishing it.

Basic Member
    "I hope your parents die"
    becomes
    "May you and your loved ones live a long and prosperous life!"
    I think Spock would be proud at this filter
    Still, I actually encourage this. If this would be a client option (i.e. filter out profanity) it'd be great. Although a nice option to also see the original even if filtered would be good "just in case". Unlike other things this is easy to code.

Basic Member
    Yeah I agree, it should be toggled on for players who want it, or perhaps have a mouse-over function that reveals the original text.