Thread: Flaming and game ruining issues

Flaming and game ruining issues

Once Dota 2 comes out or more people will get invited into the beta, there will be flaming. Are there any ideas how to deal with this? Best would be of course to censure certain "bad" words, but this will not be enough. What if someone feeds on purpose? Are there any solutions for this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by matthe2 View Post
    there will be flaming
    Best would be of course to censure certain "bad" words
    lol. beta is already has lots of flamers and RQers.

Basic Member
    Way to early, The only thing to somewhat control the environment is the revoke players access if they cant manner up after some kind of warning, Talking about beta atm. Its hard to keep a familiar environment if there are some people that spread the bad manners.

This will of course be a huge issue in the real game how now it will be handle.

This is certainly going to become a bigger issue than it already is if a lot of people gets to participate in the upcoming "large scale beta". I believe revoking beta access to the bad-mannered would be a good way to keep game-ruining behaviours in check. There are plenty of people that want in, so we will certainly be able to do without bad-mannered players.

Obviously, that should be the "most severe punishment". Warnings could be issued to inform them of their unproductive behaviour.

I think the bigger issue isn't the manners of people in-game so much as it is matchmaking. I'm not fond of playing in-game with some of the people in the beta right now and I know they aren't fond of playing with me. Thing is...I can deal with people on my team making mistakes and generally not being pro. Mainly because this is a game in beta, but also because I'm more interested in watching people learn as opposed to watching them own. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for lots of the other players right now. Somehow this is already a competition and if you can't play at the level of people who've been playing Dota for years, then you hear things like "Why are you even in the beta?" and "If you don't know how to play you shouldn't join the queue." I understand the Dota 1 community to be this way and to not be very inviting to new players, but I'd like something different for this game. Each community will have its own elitists, but maybe we can find a way to start fresh with Dota 2 and leave the worst of the old community behind.

Bad manners is one thing. Leaving is another. The matchmaking pool isn't huge right now so what is gonna happen a lot is that someone who is well versed in Dota will sometimes be matched to a team of 4 noobs. What also happens a lot right now is that this one skilled player sees his teammates and leaves the match either right away or two minutes into the match when it becomes apparent that he or she will probably end up with a loss on their record. So they leave.

THEN...

Everyone else decides to ditch that match because 4v5 is mostly not fun. So we all abandon the game and rejoin the queue. Then you get left out of the next match only to see that the original leaver of your previous match got in. -_-

How does some sort of matchmaking cooldown for these people sound? For example, someone leaves early into a match by clicking on the Abandon Game button. Is it possible to exclude them from the next match? I know punishing players isn't really something Valve is into, but this one person did just waste the time of 9 other people. Should there be a reward for prematurely ending a match that nobody else was done playing? I realize that once the player pool grows, missing one match in the queue isn't going to amount to having to wait much time at all. So if this is an acceptable idea, then it can be iterated upon over time and as necessary.

As far as manners go...this is the Internet where even if there is a consequence there are no consequences. Just try to picture how these people handle situations in real life. I mean, when an imaginary "battle" doesn't go their way then it's always someone else's fault and those at fault must be verbally abused and embarrassed until everyone else understands why these losers shouldn't even be playing this game or even alive. I can live with myself if I'm never good at Dota. I don't think certain others can and I take solace in this fact. This is how I deal with bad manners, anyway. TBH, and I'm not trying to upset anyone, but I laugh really hard sometimes when people get angry in matches. Really. It's a game.

Quote Originally Posted by richard.eid View Post
    I wish there was a LIKE button. I'd press that 112 times, literally.

But manner is an issue. When people says "fuck your mother's pussy" to opponent team's player (without ANY provocation), it IS an issue.

The other day someone said to me "fucking retard" cause I did not ulti with tide to save his ass. Guess what..my ulti was in cooldown (about 3 seconds remaining). I was repeatedly pressing R to ulti as soon as possible.
    Last edited by CvP; 09-18-2011 at 10:39 AM.

Basic Member
    This is already a major issue.

Reporting feature needs to be implemented ASAP. People need to have consiquences for thier actions, whether it be rage quitting, flaming, general game ruining, etc.

This is getting quite old very fast, and its only getting worse as more people are getting invited.

Basic Member
    well even with new people the douchebag lvl cant rise anymore

Basic Member
    I think the longer we can keep, or try to keep an friendly environment the better it will be in the large scale beta. We need to set an example as soon as possible to keep it nice. If people play their first game in the beta become played they will probably do the same thing again.

Quote Originally Posted by CvP View Post
    lol. beta is already has lots of flamers and RQers.
    ^

you could introduce a rap system but do you really think the beta testers want to deal with a couple hundred complaints a day over acutally working on the game? community driven could work but would still create multiple issues and have to be monitored by valve in a way. basically until it hits that huge point of where its required "open beta", a simple leaver system would probably improve quality of games without human intervention but once again the games in beta and "fatals" occur n such.