Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously? "Doom"?

+1 for this being a retarded rename. Lucifer "the doom"? I don't understand the thought process behind this decision. The name doombringer made sense because he physically brought doom to the game with his spell doom. So now are we going to say OH DOOM CASTED DOOM THE TARGET IS DOOMED? No that doesn't make sense. Change it back or at least change it to something more sensible than a silly title like Lucifer "the doom"

Seriously we change silencer because he might be slightly confusing with his color, and you make a hero have the same name as his spell? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? Hell if we're going to do this, why not change enigma's name to black hole and rename his ultimate enigma? That makes about as much sense as this design choice.

Oh Oh! What about Krobelus "the death"? 10/10
    Last edited by tortoos; 01-09-2013 at 08:50 PM.

Basic Member
    Seriously, I don't think you can copyright a name that is just the concatenation of dictionary words. Imagine if Domino's tried to copyright the name "Pizzadeliveryguy" for their mascot. Pretty sure they'd be laughed out of court.

Valve must have another reason for doing this, but whatever it is I'm pretty sure it's a shitty one. Name should be changed back pronto.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scubasteve View Post
    If that's true, it's another reason why I canceled my WoW account 5+ months ago. Blizz used to be an amazing gaming company, but they don't feel the same anymore. I feel like they care about money more than their players and the type of community their games create.

Why should they keep the dota community from enjoying something we're so passionate about? I owe Blizz so much for war3, which was amazing in its own right and the engine that allowed DotA to exist in the first place. And honestly, I understand the need for copyright laws, but using it to lock out names like "Warchief" or "Goblin Shredder" or whatever is literally insane. It's an abuse of the system and an attack on their own community if you ask me.
    I don't think Blizzard is calling Valve every two seconds to bitch about such things. Valve is probably actively making sure they're not stepping on too many toes at once.

For instance, with Earthshaker, sure minotaurs are essentially cow people (tauren), however, minotaurs with TOTEMS are Blizzard's thing. So Valve said "Instead of making a minotaur with a totem, let's just take the more iconic totem and make earthshaker a different creature.

Well, the Blizzard explanation is what I've heard, and to be honest I don't really believe it myself.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by King Grimlock View Post
    Well, the Blizzard explanation is what I've heard, and to be honest I don't really believe it myself.
    What's twisting my nuts is that there is no official statement. Maybe it's a typo or something stupid but I just want an official explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteve View Post
    The original name is so much better. As much as I HATE renames, I understand when they need to be changed, like Centaur Warruner or Timbersaw (RIP Warchief and Shredder)

If there's no copyright issues with Doom Bringer though then why change it?? Little things like that make me mad.. like the other week how they changed Spectre's weapon from its traditional dota 1 model to something new and completely random for no reason at all.

RIP Lucifer, Doom Bringer
    Agreed 100%

FU Activision!!! They made Blizzard be what it is today. TERRIBLE!!!!!
    Last edited by VenomBHz; 01-09-2013 at 10:17 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VenomBHz View Post
    Agreed 100%

FU Activision!!! They made Blizzard be what it is today. TERRIBLE!!!!!
    For Christ's sake, THERE IS NO Copyright problem from Blizzard or Activision,

There is Doombringer records, there is a character named Doombringer in Fairly odd parents, Doombringer weapon in Maplestory, Final fantasy XI, AND Heroes of Newerth, an album from Nasum entitled Doombringer, a ship in Star Wars expanded universe, and to boot a character in the Marvel universe all with the name Doombringer.

This is clearly a creative decision, not a legal one.
    Last edited by geargrinder; 01-10-2013 at 12:17 AM.

Basic Member
    well if there was something named after a hero in my game in hon i would probably change it too

nice job valve

Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    For Christ's sake, THERE IS NO Copyright problem from Blizzard or Activision,

There is a Doombringer tank in planetside , Doombringer records, there is a character named Doombringer in Fairly odd parents, Doombringer weapon in Maplestory, Final fantasy XI, AND Heroes of Newerth, an album from Nasum entitled Doombringer, a ship in Star Wars expanded universe, and to boot a character in the Marvel universe all with the name Doombringer.

This is clearly a creative decision, not a legal one.
    However, Valve has a legal agreement with Blizzard over the use of the Dota name, the details of which are undisclosed and may include concessions governing the use of names that can be found in warcraft 3. Which may restrict Valve and Dota 2 only in the use of certain common names, like Doombringer, while not affecting any other company or franchise.
    Always read and follow the forum rules. If you need help from a moderator, use the report button ()
    Before posting new bugs:
    -Check the Known Bugs List and search the forum for an existing report.
    -Make sure its a bug (test in WC3 Dota, visit playdota guides and adv. mech, etc). If you're still not sure, post in Mechanics and Gameplay Bug Brainstorming instead.
    -Read the Bug Posting Guidelines on how to report a bug properly.

Basic Member
    Doom is good, because it's what people called him.