Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously? "Doom"?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DLRevan View Post
    However, Valve has a legal agreement with Blizzard over the use of the Dota name, the details of which are undisclosed and may include concessions governing the use of names that can be found in warcraft 3. Which may restrict Valve and Dota 2 only in the use of certain common names, like Doombringer, while not affecting any other company or franchise.
    That's possible, however if that was true there would were probably more instances than Doom that fit that critiera. On top of that, that agreement was 8 months ago. I really don't think this is an effect of that agreement.

Missing the 'bringer' part badly. Is it too much to maybe want 'Hellbringer' if Doom Bringer is a copyright issue?

Basic Member
    This is clearly a creative decision, not a legal one.
    It's a retarded decision.

Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    That's possible, however if that was true there would were probably more instances than Doom that fit that critiera. On top of that, that agreement was 8 months ago. I really don't think this is an effect of that agreement.
    Not really. Most similar names have already been changed.

There are many things we do not know. It could be due to a recent quiet reminder from Blizzard and Valve did not previously think this name was covered. It could be that Blizzard recently decided that they're going to do something more with the name and the original unit from wc3 in new content they're producing, but due to the connection in wc3 Dota they just recently asked Valve to change it in anticipation of it.

Valve also might have just dallied or debated about changing it for 8 months.

While it'll be great if a developer explains it, don't hold out for that either. There's a lot of reasons why telling the greater community that 'its due to copyright issues...and its blizzard's fault' is not good for anyone. But we don't need them to say anything to put two and two together.

What I'm saying is though, is it is quite unlikely that it is changed due to a creative decision. Furthermore, due to his already recorded lines Lucy has very few options for an alternative name.
    Last edited by DLRevan; 01-09-2013 at 11:55 PM.
    Always read and follow the forum rules. If you need help from a moderator, use the report button ()
    Before posting new bugs:
    -Check the Known Bugs List and search the forum for an existing report.
    -Make sure its a bug (test in WC3 Dota, visit playdota guides and adv. mech, etc). If you're still not sure, post in Mechanics and Gameplay Bug Brainstorming instead.
    -Read the Bug Posting Guidelines on how to report a bug properly.

Banned
    You guys act as if the name change is going to affect game play. QQ less please. And a big LOL to anyone who actually cares about lore over game play.
    Last edited by BNi-PoweR.; 01-10-2013 at 12:06 AM.

Basic Member
    You act as though gameplay is all that matters to the game. Lore has a place thus the lore subforum, and some of us care a fair bit for it. Personally rather detest the change of his name to "Doom" especially given the lost rivalry lines. Regardless, hopefully an explanation will come up at some point. If it's a legal issue I might not be happy with it but it's understandable, and so far Valve's been pretty good about giving players what they want so if it's not a legal issue I'm sure Doombringer will come back after we all throw enough of a fit.

Though I always called him Lucy this change really fucks with the flow of his title. Doom casting doom sounds ridiculous, Doom as a name sounds out of place. Doombringer flowed well with this lore and background history and didn't make him sound like a goddamn comic book villain.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DLRevan View Post
    Not really. Most similar names have already been changed.

There are many things we do not know. It could be due to a recent quiet reminder from Blizzard and Valve did not previously think this name was covered. It could be that Blizzard recently decided that they're going to do something more with the name and the original unit from wc3 in new content they're producing, but due to the connection in wc3 Dota they just recently asked Valve to change it in anticipation of it.

Valve also might have just dallied or debated about changing it for 8 months.

While it'll be great if a developer explains it, don't hold out for that either. There's a lot of reasons why telling the greater community that 'its due to copyright issues...and its blizzard's fault' is not good for anyone. But we don't need them to say anything to put two and two together.

What I'm saying is though, is it is quite unlikely that it is changed due to a creative decision. Furthermore, due to his already recorded lines Lucy has very few options for an alternative name.
    What similar names that were complely generic have been changed?

The fact that there's still a Windrunner in the game kinda contradicts that. Because like I said before, because doombringer is so common in popular culture, even moreso than windrunner, I am very skeptical this was a "legal" choice.

But, you are right, I highly doubt we'll know for sure.

Basic Member
    Yeah, doesn't feel good at all, no matter the reasoning behind it.

Better rename Gyrocopter to Gyro, Mirana to PotM, Keeper of the Light to KotL and both Sand King and Skeleton King to SK.

Basic Member
    Fuck blizards, let's kill them