Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously? "Doom"?

That's one doomed Space Marine

Basic Member
    I don't mind him being called Doom, but if Doom Bringer is copyrighted, why don't just change it to Bringer of Doom?

Basic Member
    WHY they had to rename Doom Bringer is unknown but the reason they went with Doom is because it's much easier to simply cut out any lines that reffer him to doom bringer than record new ones. But jesus, I'm sorry but simply Doom is pretty bad and stupid, Tusk is pretty bad too but somewhat more accepted than this.

Bringer of Doom like the post above me seems nice, but I think they should just stick to Lucifer, why the hell not? Why not call more heroes by their names?

Ok, he doesn't have a spawn line calling himself Lucifer, he also doesn't have missing lines, so when they eventually record those can't they record the extra spawn line aswell?

Also, only 4 heroes reffer to him by Doom Bringer: Axe, Chen, Kunkka, Omniknight. SF and SD call him Lucifer, Clink actually calls him Doom already, and Ursa mentions how he brings Doom but can just be reffering to what he does, other heroes don't bring up the name.

So there are these lines:

Axe: "Doombringer brings doom, Axe brings axe." (what are you gonna rename this one to? Doom brings doom?)
    You can just remove it, Axe had plenty of rivalry lines and it doesn't fell like a must to have a doom one. THOUGH in this context he can just be reffering to what he does and not be calling him by name.

Chen: "Doom Bringer, be damned."
    Cut to simply "Be damned" or just remove it since he has another line for Doom.

Clinkz: "Doom, I'll see you in Seventh Hell."
    This can remain even if you change it to Lucifer beause there is no harm in heroes calling other heroes by their titles aswell.

Kunkka: "Doom Bringer, meet Tidebringer."
    If your gonna change it to "Doom, meet Tidebringer." it loses the purpose so just remove it. THOUGH in this context he can just be reffering to what he does and not be calling him by name.

Omniknight: "Doom Bringer, in you I have bested the inferno itself."
    Just cut the name and keep the line, like to did to Spirit Breaker's line to Magnus.

Sigh, the only problem is the poor Bastion announcer, I don't suppose they can get Logan to just record one more line.
    Quote Originally Posted by daed View Post
    This is another example as to why the developers should never seriously take in consideration any post on the dev forums.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidouleroux View Post
    Seriously, I don't think you can copyright a name that is just the concatenation of dictionary words. Imagine if Domino's tried to copyright the name "Pizzadeliveryguy" for their mascot. Pretty sure they'd be laughed out of court.

Valve must have another reason for doing this, but whatever it is I'm pretty sure it's a shitty one. Name should be changed back pronto.
    It's not possible to copyright a name. However, some names may be protected under trademark law, so there's that...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The4thSniporr View Post
    Better rename Gyrocopter to Gyro, Mirana to PotM, Keeper of the Light to KotL and both Sand King and Skeleton King to SK.
    Flawless logic.
    /thread /valve /world /universe

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BNi-PoweR. View Post
    You guys act as if the name change is going to affect game play. QQ less please. And a big LOL to anyone who actually cares about lore over game play.
    Big lol to you for coming to a lore forum saying that lore means nothing. QQ less please and go away.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Banethulhu View Post
    Sigh, the only problem is the poor Bastion announcer, I don't suppose they can get Logan to just record one more line.
    Probably won't have to change that, it can be ambiguous which way it's meant to be understood so that can probably be spared. But the fact that the Bastion announcer has these lines must means it was an extremely recent choice and not something planned.

Basic Member
    If the problem is Blizzard then count the days until they have to rename Windrunner.
    Quote Originally Posted by daed View Post
    This is another example as to why the developers should never seriously take in consideration any post on the dev forums.

Rename with my name i would be honored to have my name on the hero that represent OUR LORD LUCIFER!

A true demon can never die.

I dare you to show me your bones.

Quote Originally Posted by The4thSniporr View Post
    Better rename Gyrocopter to Gyro, Mirana to PotM, Keeper of the Light to KotL and both Sand King and Skeleton King to SK.
    Sure, because "Doom" is obviously just shorthand and holds absolutely no meaning of its own.

The change from "Doom Bringer" to "Doom" detracts absolutely nothing from the hero's concept or lore. If anything, it's even more intimidating - he's not a bringer of doom, he's doom itself.
    ◕_◕