Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously? "Doom"?

Thumbs up Seriously? "Doom"?

Why on Earth was Doom Bringer's name changed to Doom? It was perfectly fine before, and sounds completely redundant and silly now. Hopefully this is just a bug or mistake of some sort.
    EDIT: Just heard that Blizzard copyrighted the name "Doom Bringer". Wow, Blizzard. Just wow.

Also, just an idea Valve:

1) Name "Doom" "Doombringer", without the space.

2) Put it into the game.

3) Proceed to sent Blizzard a letter with "fuck you" written on it.
    Last edited by King Grimlock; 01-09-2013 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Received New Information

T-up !!!!!!!!!!! Worst change ever !!!!!

EDIT: Now not really. Because they dont want to have copyright problems ! And they CANT use another name, because then they should hire voice actors again ( for Doom and all other heroes that have lines for Doom), so I think Doom is not that bad name. We are calling him Doom anyways !
    Last edited by Adilmaru; 01-10-2013 at 03:50 PM.

Basic Member
    Yaaaay copyrights. If we can't do just Doombringer (that's technically different, right?), maybe just do Lucifer, the... um. Something. Just "the Doom" sounds like what a dumb five-year-old would call a villain. Maybe something in the demonic language?

Basic Member
    what copyrights? there is no copyright on doom bringer.

Blizzard copyrighted the name about a week ago, I believe.

Lucifer the Doomed, perhaps? That has a nice ring to it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by King Grimlock View Post
    This is probably not true, HoN has had Doombringer since 2009.

There is a doombringer weapon in D3 but I don't think that implies copyright at all.

Banned
    The original name is so much better. As much as I HATE renames, I understand when they need to be changed, like Centaur Warruner or Timbersaw (RIP Warchief and Shredder)

If there's no copyright issues with Doom Bringer though then why change it?? Little things like that make me mad.. like the other week how they changed Spectre's weapon from its traditional dota 1 model to something new and completely random for no reason at all.

RIP Lucifer, Doom Bringer

rename him to satandevil666lucifer

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by King Grimlock View Post
    If that's true, it's another reason why I canceled my WoW account 5+ months ago. Blizz used to be an amazing gaming company, but they don't feel the same anymore. I feel like they care about money more than their players and the type of community their games create.

Why should they keep the dota community from enjoying something we're so passionate about? I owe Blizz so much for war3, which was amazing in its own right and the engine that allowed DotA to exist in the first place. And honestly, I understand the need for copyright laws, but using it to lock out names like "Warchief" or "Goblin Shredder" or whatever is literally insane. It's an abuse of the system and an attack on their own community if you ask me.