Page 1 of 51 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Dota 2 crashes every time

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Dota 2 crashes every time

Played for about a year and never had a problem like this, not once. My computer recently got repaired (hard drive failure) and now I can't get the game to work. I can get through the into and main screens fine, and create a practice lobby. Whenever the game starts (where the player loading screen comes up), the screen freezes with half in-game screen and half red Dota loading screen and vanishes, going immediately back to my desktop. There's no error message or anything. The most recent thing I have in Event Viewer is the following from yesterday:
    Code:
    The program dota.exe version 0.0.0.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
     Process ID: 718
     Start Time: 01cdefa8a404d9a3
     Termination Time: 983
     Application Path: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota.exe
     Report Id:
    I have no idea what the issue is, but I've taken the following steps thus far so please don't reiterate them.
    1. Reinstalled the game
    2. Verified the integrity of the game cache
    3. Uninstalled and reinstalled video card drivers

Computer's an i5 Quad Core @ 3.1 GHz, 8 GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1 GB and I've never had an issue with running the game before this. Any help is appreciated.

Basic Member
    Just noticed it's been creating .mdmp files for each crash - most of them are just dota_dateofcrash_timeofcrash_crash# but two of them have (failed) at the start.

Not sure if any of this is significant but maybe it'll help.

Basic Member
    Couple more things now.

1. I can get further into the game with the -nod3d9ex command. I didn't play that long because it was incredibly choppy, but I at least got into the game whereas after removing that command I can't make it past picking a hero.
    2. Although I have -console enabled in launch options, it does not show up in the game.

I have had the same problem for months. No one has given me a solution either and I have done all the same things you have. I can run games that are more demanding and have higher minimum specs than DotA 2 but this game is the only one that constantly crashes for no reason, without warning.
    Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Steam Id: KevinCorporation

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinCorporation View Post
    I have had the same problem for months. No one has given me a solution either and I have done all the same things you have. I can run games that are more demanding and have higher minimum specs than DotA 2 but this game is the only one that constantly crashes for no reason, without warning.
    Yeah, it was really strange to have this happen after a year of not having any sort of issue. I assume you tried -nod3d9ex? It's the only thing that's even allowed me to play.

Just tested for about 15 minutes and the game ran fine. I changed some graphics settings and my FPS stayed constantly between the 60-95 range, there was one spike about 5 minutes in but it didn't seem to be anything significant. Will test with a few more practice games and see how everything goes.

EDIT: Had to quit an earlier game due to an unrelated Internet issue. After I loaded the game and created another practice lobby it quit, and when I reopened Dota it gave me the "connecting to the dota 2 network" message. Closed and reopened, and I was able to play a 35 minute practice game without any crash or problems. Still got a spike around 5 and 10 minutes but nothing serious, so I'll continue testing.

Next game I tried crashed at player load screen. I reopened Dota and played a 30 minute game without any sort of problem. Based on these tests it seems that I can play one successful game each time Dota is opened, but I'm not sure.
    Last edited by wtfisgoingon; 01-12-2013 at 04:08 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinCorporation View Post
    I can run games that are more demanding and have higher minimum specs than DotA 2 but this game is the only one that constantly crashes for no reason, without warning.
    EXACTLY!
    I am kinda fed up with this, as I've tried to explain (in bad english, of course).
    http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=79430

Basic Member
    No mention of game stability in the patch notes for this weeks patch.

It cant be that valve ignores this thread completely, please, please show us that you know about this problem and are working on fixing it.

Basic Member
    Played for a few hours and had a few crashes at game starts, and one during a teamfight that probably cost us the game. This is better but nowhere near being completely fixed.

I would really appreciate some help with this issue.

Basic Member
    up

I think I am having a similar issue. I got it after the patch one or two days after. I would join games but never get to pick a hero dota 2.exe would always stop responding before I get there I could then validate the patch but it wouldn't help. Then I reinstalled the game and the problem persists but now I cant even validate the steam files.