Thread: Left click to cast item fails when accidentally dragging item during click action

Basic Member

Left click to cast item fails when accidentally dragging item during click action

I don't remember ever having this problem in the original DotA (but it's been a while since I last played, haha), but when left-clicking on a castable item in my inventory, unless I pause on the item when I click, I will pick it up and drag it out of its slot a short distance, and it will not cast. I then have to move my cursor all the way back down into the corner, deliberately point my cursor and pause to click the item again, and then cast it.

I know that you can hotkey items, but if I have say 4 casting items (even tangoes or clarities), I'm swiftly running out of convenient keys to map them to. Even if I'm just trying to quickly place a ward, which is something I probably wouldn't hotkey anyway, I find that often I have to do it twice because of the dragging problem.

HoN solved this problem by changing the key to move items in your inventory to right click, and left click to activate. That's one way to skin this cat.

I think implementing a click-and-hold delay might also solve this problem for me, such as if I hold the click for 200ms or something then the item becomes "unlocked" from its inventory slot; any shorter clicks and the item merely activates.

Not a dealbreaker but currently my biggest annoyance in the game right now.

Basic Member
    I also had this problem, I think very successful as it was resolved in HON.