View Poll Results: Do you need an option to change camera distance?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

55 44.72%
  • No

68 55.28%
Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The camera is too zoomed in

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GodzillasHotLesbianDaught View Post
    1920x1200 here and it's WAY too zoomed in. I feel like I can barely see anything and I don't have room to click.
    Same resolution, same problem.

I don't even get why camera is a balancing issue. Players should be able to set it as high or low as they want without any limitations.

Sure it would mean that every player would have easier access to information since they can see what is happening on the screen but that is not something that is part of balance in the first place. Balance comes into play with things like fog of war, since that is an actual resource that you can either control yourself or deny to your enemy. Things that the two teams compete over are what should be the focal points of balance, not making the game more uncomfotable for the player.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SinnerNym View Post
    This is exactly what I thought at first but have a look at this side by side comparison of HoN and Dota2, as close as i could get to the same spot on the map with the 'same' hero.
    As you can see they're nearly identical, if anything I'd say Dota 2 looks ever so slight more zoomed out but his might be an optical illusion because of the different textures/colours.

This... Nuff said, Dota 2 is more zoomed out than HoN... On the Dota 2 side, you can see the trees on the left, the water on the top right... You can't in the HoN. So all your 'camera is to zoomed in' comments are invalid. Well done SinnerNym

Basic Member
    I hate to compare this to league but, currently out of the few games i have played, the camera being practically 10ft above my hero is giving me a headache and makes it difficult for me to both look just slightly offscreen and retain a good idea of where my hero actually is.

This hasn't occured at all during the year I've been on LoL, primarily because LoL gives you a large enough but limited (fog of war) view to move your hero around in without needing to readjust the screen every half second while they move.

Given that dota's map size is far larger than LoL, it does not make sense to retain the old limitation of the warcraft engine. This applies to any old engine constraints, such as fixed UI sizes.

For those of us expecting a 'new' game there are some expectations that come along with current technology and the graphical standard that sets, namely not wanting to feel like I'm playing on a 640x430 resolution because my view size is limited to the length of six heroes side by side, and a UI that currently takes up 4/10ths of my screen.

While i think LoL's gameplay is crap compared to dota, they did make siginificant improvements to visual ergonomics, UI size to screen ratio and overall sight given to a player. (every time i play dota2 i keep scrolling mouse backwards hoping i can zoom out more...)

As long as fog of war is in the game and all players can adjust camera's to a reasonable distance the camera wouldnt be an issues. The way it is currently, we're being denied visual information that is most definitely in hero sight range, but is 1 or 2 screen resolutions over depending on your set up. Not to mention the visual stimulus problems the close cam gives to certain players (headaches, nausea etc, hell it may really just be the ui is huge and wasteful, but that is an old warcraft engine constraint that needs to be removed)
    Last edited by ryltar; 12-04-2011 at 11:36 AM.

Banned
    I totally agree with ryltar. I feel exactly the same way. Constantly having to move the screen back and forward to keep a tag on all the enemies in sight as well as control my hero is cumbersome, gives me a head-acke and it's in no way enjoyable.
    I believe dota 2 would become so much more better if more would fit in the same screen. Gameplay wise and spectating wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamza View Post
    No.
    The option would be nice , maybe give you the ability to adjust field of view from a range of 60-120 currently it's at 70 I think.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcheKleine View Post
    people are really complaining about this?

This is DotA2 camera.
    http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/h...TA2Compare.jpg

This is HoN camera.
    http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/h...oNStandard.jpg

if anything the DotA2 one is zoomed out slightly more than HoN's. This also contributes to the feel of a faster game.
    You want to know what HoN would look like using the same camera as DotA well here.
    http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/h...t/HoNDOTA2.jpg

The issue here is that people are complaining about the wrong thing. The camera is already zoomed out in comparison to LoL and HoN, the difference is that HoN and LoL all use relatively small model sizes in comparison to what DotA has, and the models are large for their own reasons. The distance a hero travels in DotA2 will feel smaller because it is in comparison to a hero with a slightly larger model.
    WOW look at that, actual proof that every single one of you in this thread wanting zoomed out camera is completely wrong FROM A VALVE EMPLOYEE, close this thread already, answered, and working as intended.

ON second thought , if you could zoom waaaay the hell out that might give an unintended advantage of the field of view where they would be able to see a gank coming a mile away like you would in old school battlegrounds in wow or guild wars , hide in a bush and zoom your camera all the way out to better see a target approaching.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sterls View Post
    WOW look at that, actual proof that every single one of you in this thread wanting zoomed out camera is completely wrong FROM A VALVE EMPLOYEE, close this thread already, answered, and working as intended.
    No.

Look, the problem is, as ArcheKleine said, the models are too big. Simply put, too little stuff fits in one screen. Why is this bad you ask, well let me give you a couple of reasons.
    For gameplay:

• Strategical Positioning is Hard to do when not everything is on the screen. You could say it adds skill, I say it adds cluckiness. Skill should never be compensating for a bad UI or controls.
    • Hero Attack and Skill Range. It spans over more than half the screen. This means that in order to keep an eye on the enemy and move your hero, you have to constantly move around your screen. Most of the teamfights you are fighting with your hero off screen. This is problematic for a 2011 game, UI should never be a limiting factor, neither a deciding factor of skill.
    • Constant Camera moving causes headackes. I am having more headackes after 2 hours of Dota than after 5 hours of LoL. Trust me, I want to play DotA, not LoL, but if playing it is giving me too much strain and it becomes unhealthy, I wont be able to.

Also there are problems for spectating and e-sports related.
    • It is already hard to understand everything happening inside DotA like games. Even I who know every hero by heart, miss things from e-sport event commentaries simply because the display is not well made. Immagine a deciding teamfight. It usually spans over 2-3 screens. How do you want to promote this game as a competitive one, if spectating really sucks? I mean, people need to see the whole battle in one place, all the ultimates, all the effects and understand what's going on. You cannot, in any case, miss some of the action, because the models are too big and stuff does not fit on the screen.
    • A bigger view in the case of e-sports is not only for seeing the fight. Seeing the setup for the fight is also very important. You should be able to see the heroes closing in, positioning, and you cannot do this if the target hero take up the whole screen.

Now, I shall try to address also some of the cons I've seen for a bigger view:
    • Promotes Skill: this, while true, is a bad type of behaviour. Skill should never be "compensating for a bad UI". If it is the game is fundamentally flawed. We still have Fog of War in the game, and if skillshots are harder to hit because of the more early heads-up, the speeds could be slightly increased to compensate.
    • It is not like the original Dota: well things must evolve for the good. Let's ask Icefrog this: if we wasnt limited by the original engine, how would dota look now? We now have the chance to make this game even better that is was.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiebelhaus View Post
    ON second thought , if you could zoom waaaay the hell out that might give an unintended advantage of the field of view where they would be able to see a gank coming a mile away like you would in old school battlegrounds in wow or guild wars , hide in a bush and zoom your camera all the way out to better see a target approaching.
    You can still see a gank coming miles away dude. It's called the minimap. If you normally can see the hero on your (bigger) screen, it means he will also show up on the minimap. I agree it will give worse players a small advantage over how it is right now, but it won't fundamentally change the game, because good players know how to stay into the FoW until the last moment possible and good players also constantly look at their minimap.

All I'm saying is I hate having to fight so many teamfights with my hero offscreen. It's just unnatural for a 2011 game. Look at all the present couterparts and tell me I'm wrong.
    Last edited by okrane; 12-05-2011 at 12:52 AM.

Basic Member
    When an enemy walks into your view you have to move the screen to retreat. Sometimes I die just because I didn't move the screen fast enough, it's stupid. I simply don't have any space to click to make my hero move back without moving the screen.
    Minimap requires much precision, I can't click the right spot fast enough when I suddenly have to retreat.
    I wish I could zoom out more.