I'm trying to submit a loading screen.

The log is like this:

Code:
    Starting import...
    Importing files...
    Reading loading screen: W:/Workshop/test.png
    Writing png: panorama/images/loadingscreens/test/loadingscreen.png
    Import successful!
    The written png is 2048x1024. Why is that?

Original image is 2560x1600 (16:10). Same thing happens if I give it a 16:9 image. Loss of resolution and completely messed up ratio.

What is the ideal resolution/ratio for submission?

Also, parts of the "content" gets cuts off on 4:3. If I can manually select the coordinates for 4:3, this can be easily resolved. But I guess that's not an option?

There is nothing wrong with the image being saved as 2:1/1:1 ratio, since it will be loaded on the fly to a texture.
    Before dx10, there were optimization concerns or even hardware limitations regarding texture formats.
    I was expecting Source 2 to save images bigger than 2048 to a 4096x2048 texture, but sadly, it's still scaled/clamped to 2048x1024 as in Source 1.

For best possible results, the source image should be 16:9. The submission tool makes it easy to generate the 16:10 and 4:3 images by clamping the original one.
    That's why it's generally a good idea to do the main creative stuff in a 4:3 area, then use canvas two times to enlarge just the width of the image until you reach 16:10, then 16:9.

Since you have a source with 2560x1600 16:10 ratio, you would need to add a canvas set to increase width to 2845 without maintaining aspect ratio and having a middle anchor (i.e. left&right black bars).
    You could submit that as it is, but I would advise scaling/stretching the image yourself to 2048x1024. Video rendering will stretch it back to a correct aspect ratio in-game.

Current position co-ordinates non-tracable. Unknown space.
    I believe the maximum size before stretching/pixelation occurs is 1920x1080. Try resizing your loading screen to that size. Since it's 16:9, it will crop properly in the preview for the other 2 resolutions as 16:9 also has the best use of resolution real-estate.

Thanks for the replies guys. Really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by aveyo View Post
    There is nothing wrong with the image being saved as 2:1/1:1 ratio, since it will be loaded on the fly to a texture.
    Before dx10, there were optimization concerns or even hardware limitations regarding texture formats.
    I was expecting Source 2 to save images bigger than 2048 to a 4096x2048 texture, but sadly, it's still scaled/clamped to 2048x1024 as in Source 1.
    Yes, it clicked on my mind at a later time that this 2:1 will be kept as texture.

For best possible results, the source image should be 16:9. The submission tool makes it easy to generate the 16:10 and 4:3 images by clamping the original one.
    That's why it's generally a good idea to do the main creative stuff in a 4:3 area, then use canvas two times to enlarge just the width of the image until you reach 16:10, then 16:9.
    Yeah, figured as much.

Since you have a source with 2560x1600 16:10 ratio, you would need to add a canvas set to increase width to 2845 without maintaining aspect ratio and having a middle anchor (i.e. left&right black bars).
    You could submit that as it is, but I would advise scaling/stretching the image yourself to 2048x1024. Video rendering will stretch it back to a correct aspect ratio in-game.
    Yeah, that's what I'm doing.

It seems like if I provide 16:9 as source, it saves it as 2048x1024. However, in the preview, when this 2048x1024 is displayed as 16:9, the image becomes a bit compressed horizontally. I was able to solve this by manually stretching 16:9 PNG to 2:1 (simple resize ignoring the source ratio). I can see you are suggesting that too but I wonder why it messes up the source 16:9...

Quote Originally Posted by Toyoka View Post
    I believe the maximum size before stretching/pixelation occurs is 1920x1080. Try resizing your loading screen to that size. Since it's 16:9, it will crop properly in the preview for the other 2 resolutions as 16:9 also has the best use of resolution real-estate.
    Pixelation occurs in preview but the actual image written on disk is pixelation free. Question is...will the be OK in game as loading screen.