Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: input delay, will it stay?

Quote Originally Posted by DBX_5 View Post
    pings at this time are also rather high for most people I believe once the ping issue is normalized a bit better people will feel far less delay.
    this.

Quote Originally Posted by bradwong View Post
    Hello good sir,

I removed those command settings and the attack animation is now working properly.

Weird really, I don't have that problem when I watch live matches and only when I'm playing.

It must be an issue concerning low-end computer specs.
    no its concerning low quality of connection between you and the server "packet loss/distance". the "animations" may be displayed properly but you should still notice the difference on display when the damage is actually displayed.

Dota 2's tickrate is 40 Hz.

cl_cmdrate and cl_updaterate are clamped between 20 and 40. By default, they are 40 which gives a 50ms interpolation time. Setting network quality to "low" in options lowers them to 20 which results in a 100ms interpolation time. Setting cl_updaterate to 100 will just camp to 40.

Setting cl_interp 0 can cause animation issues since it no longer smooths over the packets and any jitter can cause a stall.

Also your worst/case and average case are incorrect. Ping is roundtrip, so a ping of 80ms means its 40ms each way. So with this in mind, your examples are for both high and low quality network settings:

High quality (default settings) with an 80ms ping:
    Worst case: 25ms+40ms+25m+40ms+25ms = 155ms
    Average case: 12.5ms+40ms+12.5ms+40ms+25ms = 130ms

Low quality with an 80ms ping:
    Worst case: 50ms+40ms+25m+40ms+50ms = 205ms
    Average case: 25ms+40ms+25ms+40ms+50ms = 180ms

Note that the average is 12.5ms for the high quality cl_cmdrate and cl_update rate since their rates are 40Hz which is 25ms per packet. Average will be half that as you'll be hitting the ticks at the midpoint at average. Also, the effective interpolation amount is half since its corrected every time we receive a packet, which is at 40Hz, or 25ms.

The average bandwidth during game-play with the default cl_updaterate of 40 is around 12kbps, spiking to 16kbps in heavy fights. That's a peak rate around 20000, so the 80000 default is far more than is even needed by the game. Setting your rate to 200000 has no real effective value since the game doesn't even approach anywhere near that amount of bandwidth consumption. The rate setting is just a cap.

Note that spectating (Dota TV) always uses the low quality bandwidth setting since they are just watching the game and there isn't any need for interactivity.
    Last edited by Zoid; 11-30-2011 at 01:09 AM.

Basic Member
    Thank you for the corrections and explanation Zoid, appreciate it.

And as mentioned, I used to have this heavy delay feeling when I first started playing 2 months ago, but i reckon it was more due to the unoptimized network settings that was set as default, rather than a limitation of the netcode(Aswell as the small upgrade to server ticks to 40hz from the previous value it was at)
    Last edited by ruXxar; 11-30-2011 at 02:03 AM.

So I've read about hit correction for the source networking method
    The user command arrives at server time 10.6 and the server wouldn't detect the hit, even though the player has aimed exactly at the target. This error is corrected by the server-side lag compensation.
    is that working fine for dota 2 already? then the delay at least would not cause someone to miss because of it.
    specs for bugreports:
    i5-4200U
    AMD Radeon HD 8750M
    win 7

Basic Member
    So what is the "highest quality" settings?

I'm using the lines from Solace's cfg:

PHP Code:
    "rate" "80000"                                            //Total amount of bandwidth Dota 2 may use                    (Default "80000")
    "cl_updaterate" "40"                                    //Amount of updates recieved from server per second         (Min/Max "20-40")
    "cl_cmdrate" "40"                                        //Amount of updates sent to server per second                 (Min/Max "20-40")
    "cl_interp" "0"                                            //cl_interp 1 / cl_updaterate * (cl_interp_ratio )            (Default "0.1")
    "cl_interp_ratio" "1"                                    //Multiplies final result of cl_interp                        (Default "2")
    "cl_smoothtime" "0"                                        //When errors occur smooth display over X time, 0 Disables    (Default "0.1") 
    Anything else that can be tweaked/optimized for us on good networks?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mindfaQ View Post

is that working fine for dota 2 already? then the delay at least would not cause someone to miss because of it.
    I think that is in reference to hitscan weapons (e.g. Counter-Strike: Source guns) and would have little to no bearing on DOTA2

Quote Originally Posted by theqat View Post
    I think that is in reference to hitscan weapons (e.g. Counter-Strike: Source guns) and would have little to no bearing on DOTA2
    huh? Mirana's Arrow, Pudge's Hook, any AOE stun or nuke like Fissure, Split Earth, Nether Blast, even range checks on blinks, blinkstrikes, ranged attacks, other spells...
    Last edited by mindfaQ; 11-30-2011 at 08:14 AM.
    specs for bugreports:
    i5-4200U
    AMD Radeon HD 8750M
    win 7

Basic Member
    Never mind, I was confused about the scope of the wiki article on the subject.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mindfaQ View Post

I would imagine that hit detection is based on the latest snapshot of the world that the server has.

If you would give a more accurate example i could give a more detailed description.

Quote Originally Posted by BadaBing View Post
    So what is the "highest quality" settings?

I'm using the lines from Solace's cfg:

PHP Code:
    "rate" "80000"                                            //Total amount of bandwidth Dota 2 may use                    (Default "80000")
    "cl_updaterate" "40"                                    //Amount of updates recieved from server per second         (Min/Max "20-40")
    "cl_cmdrate" "40"                                        //Amount of updates sent to server per second                 (Min/Max "20-40")
    "cl_interp" "0"                                            //cl_interp 1 / cl_updaterate * (cl_interp_ratio )            (Default "0.1")
    "cl_interp_ratio" "1"                                    //Multiplies final result of cl_interp                        (Default "2")
    "cl_smoothtime" "0"                                        //When errors occur smooth display over X time, 0 Disables    (Default "0.1") 
    Anything else that can be tweaked/optimized for us on good networks?

From what Zoid just explained, you might aswell reduce the rate to 25000, because the game will never spike higher than that.

Also, when I changed my cl_cmdrate to 100, the console told me that the max setting was 100. So(if it works) if you set it to 100, you'll shave off another 15ms compared to 40.