Thread: input delay, will it stay?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by galnegus View Post
    S2 uses the exact same attack animation speeds for the ported dota heroes
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanadian View Post
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
    there is no reason to talk about attack animations between HoN & Dota 2. That's not what I'm talking about.

I've now played about 20 games, and slowly I get used to it, it doesn't annoy me that much anymore, but i still hope this will be fixed, because a super responsive engine (like S2's) makes the game much more fun than an intentional build-in input delay.

Basic Member
    I have limited time (and patience ) for this matter tonight, but I did throw together a quick test. I was playing with approximately 40 ping. Here's the video: http://youtu.be/SzVcqtFNGiA (please allow some time from 1833 Eastern US time for the HD to convert)

On the right side is a framecounter. The video was recorded at 25 FPS. You can see that it takes approximately two frames for Lich to respond to my movement command. At 25 FPS, that comes out to .08 seconds. So the difference is still greater than the .04 SUNSfan measured in HON playing from a USWest HON client to a USWest HON server, but it's been cut down considerably--SUNSfan measured .14 in dota2 pre-patch. My config files are utterly un-tweaked, so I may be able to achieve the appearance of even better responsiveness.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theqat View Post
    I have limited time (and patience ) for this matter tonight, but I did throw together a quick test. I was playing with approximately 40 ping. Here's the video: http://youtu.be/SzVcqtFNGiA (please allow some time from 1833 Eastern US time for the HD to convert)

On the right side is a framecounter. The video was recorded at 25 FPS. You can see that it takes approximately two frames for Lich to respond to my movement command. At 25 FPS, that comes out to .08 seconds. So the difference is still greater than the .04 SUNSfan measured in HON playing from a USWest HON client to a USWest HON server, but it's been cut down considerably--SUNSfan measured .14 in dota2 pre-patch. My config files are utterly un-tweaked, so I may be able to achieve the appearance of even better responsiveness.
    I don't know if this method is right and if the FPS really show the real response time. there are some other factors to consider i think, like the ingame FPS and i don't know, can't really explain it.
    The only thing i can say is that in no way i only have a delay of 0.08 seconds, more like 0.1-0.15. Maybe that's just a config problem, i'll watch out for more information

Basic Member
    You can measure it yourself using my method for free. Get a trial version (at least I think the trial will work for this task) of FRAPS and install megui and avisynth. Connect to a normal matchmaking game and record one movement command with your hero using FRAPS. Name the FRAPS output 1.avi. Create a text file with the contents:

Code:
    AVISource("1.avi").AssumeFPS(1,true)
    ShowFrameNumber(scroll=true, offset=9, text_color=$ff0000)
    ConvertToYV12()
    and save it as generic.avs. Load up megui and load generic.avs (from here megui will give you a video window that has a single-frame advance button, so you can find out the input delay in frames starting here), select x264 DXVA High Def from the list of conversion profiles, and click Queue. Go to the jobs tab in megui and Start the job. Upload to youtube! et voila

I know that's a lot to absorb but that's how it's done.

Basic Member
    You can measure it yourself using my method for free. Get a trial version (at least I think the trial will work for this task) of FRAPS and install megui and avisynth. Connect to a normal matchmaking game and record one movement command with your hero using FRAPS. Name the FRAPS output 1.avi. Create a text file with the contents:

Code:
    AVISource("1.avi").AssumeFPS(1,true)
    ShowFrameNumber(scroll=true, offset=9, text_color=$ff0000)
    ConvertToYV12()
    and save it as generic.avs. Load up megui and load generic.avs (from here megui will give you a video window that has a single-frame advance button, so you can find out the input delay in frames starting here), select x264 DXVA High Def from the list of conversion profiles, and click Queue. Go to the jobs tab in megui and Start the job. Upload to youtube! et voila

I know that's a lot to absorb but that's how it's done.
    Thanks! will try that tomorrow

I find the game to be very responsive and the only thing I find seeming a little slow is animations. If your finding input lag check which region your playing in and consider buying a dedicated NIC such as the intel CT pro. For 30ish bucks it makes a noticeable difference in responsiveness and should be considered by any competitive player.

I definitely feel the delay in response time. I just started playing dota 2 a couple days ago and range heroes suffer the most from this delay. they already have a harder time last hitting against melee heroes and with the delay in response it makes it very annoying.

The video was recorded at 25 FPS. You can see that it takes approximately two frames for Lich to respond to my movement command. At 25 FPS, that comes out to .08 seconds. So the difference is still greater than the .04 SUNSfan measured in HON playing from a USWest HON client to a USWest HON server, but it's been cut down considerably--SUNSfan measured .14 in dota2 pre-patch. My config files are utterly un-tweaked, so I may be able to achieve the appearance of even better responsiveness.
    I recorded mine at 60 fps which gives me 16 ms accuracy per frame, with 95 ping (at the time I issued the command) it took my hero 116 ms to react (thats .16 which is more or less the same as sunsfans pre-patch measure).
    I will also record a similar video in a 95 ping HoN server and see how fast the hero reacts there in my case.

Basic Member
    support!!