Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: mild announcer

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by njn View Post
    I do know what 'HUD' is and my request was to make a small display that can turn off sound files containing rough stuff. And for exampol 'H@ly SH1T' thing is spoken by all the announcers. I mean i dont protest against lot-off-blood stuff or some nasty models, but hearing such words that make me and similar guys upset is not really concerned with getting gaming pleasure.
    I repeat...

The game is rated M for language, violence, etc. If you don't want rated M material, don't play rated M games.

And... AND... let's pretend a language filter was put on the announcer voice. Guess what? "Holy Shit" is by FAR much less offensive than 95% of the filth that is yelled over the mic and text from other players. I'll be blunt on this topic: Deal with the content or please just play another game. LoL doesn't have a "holy shit" announcement, just go play that if all you need is a some sort of MOBA fix.

Basic Member
    The ignorance in this thread is overwhelming. You are all so thick and dense this might just be a new solar system.
    Judging from OP's way of typing, I would say that he has some sort of mental disability or trauma and that rude words, for whatever reason, make him feel uncomfortable.

Dota 2 is no longer a WC3 mod. Valve could make it a much better product, and removing the UT announcer as well as the X has pwned Y announcements and replacing them with something more professional might be a lot more interesting. It just strikes me silly that the lore is extremely deep and well written yet the game still features instance of "pwned" and "holy shit".

Basic Member
    If language is really a problem in a M rated game for you and your concern is only with the Announcer pack and not the community ,chat etc I have a better suggestion for you which you can suggest yourself.Don`t put a censor mechnic on the sound,rather kindly request a "Gentleman`s Announcer pack", voiced by Michael Cain or Stephan Fry or someone.
    It will make more sense for the individuals preference without stepping on anyone`s toes.

When the game begins "Let the frolics commence"
    Godlike = Well done Master Wayne !!!
    Holy Shit = Jolly good play !!!
    Mega kill = What fine marksmanship
    Death = You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off.
    Etc.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moupon View Post
    The ignorance in this thread is overwhelming. You are all so thick and dense this might just be a new solar system.
    Judging from OP's way of typing, I would say that he has some sort of mental disability or trauma and that rude words, for whatever reason, make him feel uncomfortable.

Dota 2 is no longer a WC3 mod. Valve could make it a much better product, and removing the UT announcer as well as the X has pwned Y announcements and replacing them with something more professional might be a lot more interesting. It just strikes me silly that the lore is extremely deep and well written yet the game still features instance of "pwned" and "holy shit".
    DOTA 2 is a video game. I won't expand on that, I'll just let you think about all the things that should associate with that statement.

As for your first statement, I don't believe anyone in here has said anything "ignorant", except for maybe yourself. If the OP has an issue, mental, traumatic, or whatever, I respect that. I would also suggest they avoid social interactions, television shows, most music, and video games. These are all things that may have "rude" words come up. You never know what someone will say, sing, or what script is being written. It is the player's decision to play the game or not and it is Valve's responsibility to advise the player of the content of the game they're playing.

If the player is umcomfortable with cursing/rude talk, then they have the option to mute the other players and he can mute the announcer. There isn't much else that needs to be done. If those options (which are available) are not enough, then it is ultimately up to the player to decide if perhaps this game isn't right for them because of sensitivity to certain content.

We can't create custom filters for this game or any other that cater to every single person that decides they want to play. "I don't like female characters, filter them." "I don't like swear words, filter them." "I'm afraid of fire, filter all fire skills to look like fluffy unicorns."

I mean, at some point, people either need to get over their issues and enjoy the game, or go partake in another activity.

So, Moupon, please kindly stfu and leave your insulting comments out of the conversation. You clearly dodged the OPs conversation by discussing game lore vs. kill streak announcers. Seems to me you are the ignorant one and I don't feel comfortable with ignorant people like you, so I think Valve should filter you out of the game.

To OP... the internet is a dark and dirty place sometimes. Even more-so within video games, and even more-so around a highly competitive game such as DOTA 2. If curse words, etc. make you uncomfortable, if muting everything doesn't help, I really don't think this is the gaming environment you want to be exposed to. End of conversation.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mynamesranonymous View Post
    If language is really a problem in a M rated game for you and your concern is only with the Announcer pack and not the community ,chat etc I have a better suggestion for you which you can suggest yourself.Don`t put a censor mechnic on the sound,rather kindly request a "Gentleman`s Announcer pack", voiced by Michael Cain or Stephan Fry or someone.
    It will make more sense for the individuals preference without stepping on anyone`s toes.

When the game begins "Let the frolics commence"
    Godlike = Well done Master Wayne !!!
    Holy Shit = Jolly good play !!!
    Mega kill = What fine marksmanship
    Death = You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off.
    Etc.
    ^
    The only reasonable post this thread. I'd totally buy an anouncer like that even though I don't have any problem with coarse language myself.

Also, the Bastion Announcer and Mega-Kill: Bastion announcers combined will eliminate all the coarse language, it doesn't have a 'H@ly SH1T' line as you put it. It replaces it with lines like "There go the dire... all of them" and the like.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Obilisk View Post
    ^
    The only reasonable post this thread. I'd totally buy an anouncer like that even though I don't have any problem with coarse language myself.

Also, the Bastion Announcer and Mega-Kill: Bastion announcers combined will eliminate all the coarse language, it doesn't have a 'H@ly SH1T' line as you put it. It replaces it with lines like "There go the dire... all of them" and the like.
    Yeah, a totally "reasonable" post that gives some fictitious solution to a problem no one has any control over. Not to mention he states that rough language "hurts their feelings." So, great, we have our fake "Michael Caine" announcer not cursing... along comes Random Standard DOTA 2 Player and says "nice fucking job fag, go kill yourself". Wow, thank goodness for that sweet curse-free announcer. You saved the day!!

All our responses have been quite "reasonable". It's better to be honest with someone about a situation than to give them a completely unsupported solution. The only REAL, current, and reasonable solution would be your suggestion that he buys the Bastion announcer. The narrator voice actor is awesome and I don't believe there are any curse lines at all.

If that is not good enough, then reminding someone that they're playing an M rated game with adult situations is a perfectly "reasonable" post.

Hey, njn, that problem seems to be so unique that i even thought you be trolling. If you are not, i can instruct you how to do a custom modification which can easily remove all the troubling sounds/text lines.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deejaybos View Post
    DOTA 2 is a video game. I won't expand on that, I'll just let you think about all the things that should associate with that statement.

As for your first statement, I don't believe anyone in here has said anything "ignorant", except for maybe yourself. If the OP has an issue, mental, traumatic, or whatever, I respect that. I would also suggest they avoid social interactions, television shows, most music, and video games. These are all things that may have "rude" words come up. You never know what someone will say, sing, or what script is being written. It is the player's decision to play the game or not and it is Valve's responsibility to advise the player of the content of the game they're playing.

If the player is umcomfortable with cursing/rude talk, then they have the option to mute the other players and he can mute the announcer. There isn't much else that needs to be done. If those options (which are available) are not enough, then it is ultimately up to the player to decide if perhaps this game isn't right for them because of sensitivity to certain content.

We can't create custom filters for this game or any other that cater to every single person that decides they want to play. "I don't like female characters, filter them." "I don't like swear words, filter them." "I'm afraid of fire, filter all fire skills to look like fluffy unicorns."

I mean, at some point, people either need to get over their issues and enjoy the game, or go partake in another activity.

So, Moupon, please kindly stfu and leave your insulting comments out of the conversation. You clearly dodged the OPs conversation by discussing game lore vs. kill streak announcers. Seems to me you are the ignorant one and I don't feel comfortable with ignorant people like you, so I think Valve should filter you out of the game.

To OP... the internet is a dark and dirty place sometimes. Even more-so within video games, and even more-so around a highly competitive game such as DOTA 2. If curse words, etc. make you uncomfortable, if muting everything doesn't help, I really don't think this is the gaming environment you want to be exposed to. End of conversation.
    Are you mentally disabled? If you're not, I fail to see how you could have missed my point. Dota 2 is a tasteful product - it's obvious the writers possess a wide vocabulary and knowledge of the English language. There is no excuse for the game to feature outdated sounds and killstreak announcements, especially given the budget behind it. It would literally take the programmers five seconds to remove the "X has pwned Y" kill notifications and change them to "Y was killed by X". As for the announcements? Just grab Tom Chantler and record him saying the killstreaks, rather than keeping the UT Announcer. And just like that, the game's quality has improved. Even League of Legends left out the stupid "HOLY SHIT" announcements for more streamlined stuff. Better late than never.
    Last edited by blash365; 01-27-2013 at 09:54 AM. Reason: removed troublesome sentence

Murdering people is fine and dandy, just as long as they don't use that nasty language np. Logic. Also either turn of the announcer or use Bastion one, afaik as I know it doesn't contain any "coarse" language.
    Last edited by Giant Enemy Crab; 01-27-2013 at 10:02 AM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moupon View Post
    It would literally take the programmers five seconds to remove the "X has pwned Y" kill notifications and change them to "Y was killed by X".
    the same applies to you.

Steam\SteamApps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\resource
    dota_english.txt
    Code:
            "DOTA_Chat_PlayerKilled"        "%s1 just pwned %s2's head for %s3 gold!"
    ->
    Code:
            "DOTA_Chat_PlayerKilled"        "%s1 just kissed %s2's good night for %s3 honey crisps!"
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage