Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Troll Warlord (Valve Lore)

Must be late for the party, since I thought the leaked concepts for the voiced lines were a joke, but the Lore is pretty solid, the problem is that his voice lines are worse than anything Valve has put out thus far. "Anonymity, the friend to every troll.", "I can see I'll have to carry us to victory.", "Just try not to feed"? Are you kidding me? I know there are shout-outs like Visage going "Herp-Derp Dirge" and the Left 4 Dead references, but this is taking it too far, just because he is a troll doesn't mean he is an internet troll. Do we see Pudge making constant poop-jokes? Or Necrolyte talking about HIV and AIDS? How about Nature's prophet, are we going to see jokes about him growing marihuana in the future? Can we let the player base make the jokes, while Valve actually makes the game playable? TL: DR: Change the sound files/ replies

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hefaistus View Post
    And that isn't even mentioning the fact that Valve has specifically stated that the Radiant doesn't represent good, and that Dire doesn't represent evil.
    That's quite a few heroes, and I'm not saying Radiant and Dire should be representing good and evil, but there should be something in the lore that makes the hero 'Radiant' or 'Dire'. Clinkz for example is clearly not evil in the lore, but the fact he's now eternally on fire and dying means he's suited to being Dire. There's nothing in Trolls lore that warrants him being a Radiant hero, or even a Warlord at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Godhand View Post
    Must be late for the party, since I thought the leaked concepts for the voiced lines were a joke, but the Lore is pretty solid, the problem is that his voice lines are worse than anything Valve has put out thus far. "Anonymity, the friend to every troll.", "I can see I'll have to carry us to victory.", "Just try not to feed"? Are you kidding me? I know there are shout-outs like Visage going "Herp-Derp Dirge" and the Left 4 Dead references, but this is taking it too far, just because he is a troll doesn't mean he is an internet troll. Do we see Pudge making constant poop-jokes? Or Necrolyte talking about HIV and AIDS? How about Nature's prophet, are we going to see jokes about him growing marihuana in the future? Can we let the player base make the jokes, while Valve actually makes the game playable? TL: DR: Change the sound files/ replies
    No his voice files are fine, when they were more explicit about breaking the 4th wall with lines like trololol or forever alone those were bad, now the most you'll hear in game is "feed the troll" and "you've been trolled".

Many of those were already removed.

no fun allowed

Basic Member
    So I'm guessing with doctor isn't a troll then because he's not on the list?

Makes sense, he's kind of lacking the features the other 5 have.

Xaxas: What list are you talking about? Do you mean the Lore Megathread? Since that's just made by normal forum-goers. The list isn't always right; for example, some characters, like Warlock and Alchemist, weren't put down under their respective races immediately since there was a lot of debate on whether or not they were Oglodoshi/Keen. And I think there's still some debate on whether or not small-keen are keen folk or a sub-race. I think someone even suggested they were separate races altogether, although that's a bit...

I'm fine with Ja'rakal's lore. Not every hero needs to have some grand, mysterious past that turned them into the legends they are now. Sometimes it's fine if they just had the potential to be total BA's from the start, discovering how great they can be through happenstance.

I suppose all trolls are naturally very quarrelsome? Although I'm guessing the monger trolls are the most vitriolic, compared to, say, the hill trolls or Dazzle & Huskar's race?
    Last edited by The_Codfish; 01-23-2013 at 11:08 PM.

Basic Member
    Best Lore Ever...

"Please do feed the trolls.", "I bring out the troll in everyone.", "The ultimate in trolling!", "You been trolled.", "Fortune favors the trolled.", "Enjoy your ban.", "Why are my allies so weak and pathetic?", "I can see I'll have to carry us to victory.", "Just try not to feed.", "Anonymity, the friend to every troll.". Are you saying thsese aren't just breaking the 4th wall and winking at the players? I know Harbringer has a line about Hard carries, but he's probably going to go through (an unnecessary) revamp due to the name changing. Can't they just change the lines to something more simple? Like: Please, feed me your hatred! Evertone, act like trolls! I'm the ultimate troll! Beware the troll. Now YOU'RE Banned, Pugna! You're weak, just like my former warband. Looks like I'm going to have to do this all on my own again. Don't let them kill you or I'll kill you myself! I'm a sneaky troll. TL: DR: Like I said before, I must have been late for the paarty, since they actually made some guy say these lines, but some of them are still ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by Kosmo View Post
    Hey all, that wasn't quite the final, final version. Here it is, with the obligatory typo fixed, and the addition of Troll Warlord's name.
    As THE man said, that was not the final lore.

But from Dota2Wiki I brought it:
    http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Troll_Warlord

"Many races have been recorded and forgotten throughout the ages, yet none have suffered as miserable an existence as the trolls. Few have personal possessions. Many never leave their familial dens. Their lives are short, culled by wars waged with spears at the behest of libel. Most are incapable of writing, and virtually none retain the history of their kin or race. They fail to interact appropriately with other races, often choosing to fight or flee when tested, and are regarded as little more than petty annoyances by those who acknowledge them. Most don’t even like each other, segregating themselves from one another based on subjectivity or petty difference. Yet despite these faults, the trolls have lived on indefinitely for countless generations, surviving in small dens or encampments secluded from so-called civilized peoples and squabbling amongst themselves.

Ja’rakal recognized this lack, somehow. Perhaps he considered the vast cities of other species; elaborate monuments to their success that overshadowed the dim, humble hovens his kind dwelled within. Perhaps he was told of his inadequacy by others, as was a pastime of daring adventurers seeking to test the primitive yet savage ferocity of troll-kind. Whatever the reason, Ja’rakal found within his heart a burning desire that could not be satiated within the confines of his den. Instead he traveled to others, bringing with him little more than a pair of axes and an existential bitterness. Patriarchs fell; blood was spilled. Confused, huddled masses of orphaned kin followed within his violent wake, for they knew of no other quality of leadership than brute strength. Many soon after tried to surrender upon witnessing Ja’rakal’s massive following, yet none were initiated without first severing the tendons of prior leadership. Where tribes fell, a single empire slowly grew.

Ja’rakal was neither a fair nor just leader. Troll society continued to abide by their usual brutish customs. Few lived any longer, and their livelihoods did not improve. Yet now, trolls had a means of channeling their aggression in to more progressive endeavors. Societies that once saw trolls as ornery beasts in the wilderness now regarded them as a singular threat. Caravans were ransacked. Envoys vanished. Entire villages, full of modest people, were found razed and looted. For better or for worse, the troll race transformed in to something far more fearsome than they were before. Yet the potential for this rebirth was always there; Ja’rakal understood that. All it took to transform his people was one single, devoted mind with which to guide them. With this vision, none could challenge the trolls. None could challenge the troll warlord."