Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd Party Privacy etc...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by allbusiness View Post
    Chea, and I play against Merlini/Aui_2k stacks, point? You're in the minority just like me. Point of the matter is, the vast majority of people that don't want it are the ones who think they are really better than they really are, saying shit like win percentage, stats, etc. don't matter. That's a load of crap. That's like saying your PPG in the NBA doesn't matter.
    No, some of us are actually unskilled players or play one hero a lot and don't want to get verbally raped for it

Basic Member
    Good thing valve keeps destroying every single hope of people playing competitive games in matchmaking. Maybe it's a conspiracy so people stop playing their matchmaking and getting items for free? Can't imagine them being that dumb otherwise.

Or are you going to hit league of legends in terms of casual-ness? lmao

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sosseres View Post
    I agree, there is a stat that matters. Who you win and lose against. I personally see no reason to know about it. Didn't need it in SC2 either. Both games share the same trait in that you can improve without checking anything. Replay analysing tools are truly useful though, will be interesting to see what people come up with in that category.

Yeah but you don't know if everyone is good or not, so how can you tell if you're improving or not as a new player? Currently there's no way to track progress other than 'gauging' yourself to see if you're getting better or not. Valve is really doing a disservice to new players, because how the fuck can you track if you're getting better or not? You know how difficult it is to do that? I played competitive CS all the way to Invite level, and I can tell you, that without real dedication and analytical skills, I would have never made it. Because, the point of the matter is, with good stats, MMR, replay analysis, etc. it makes it much easier to track your progress and IMPROVE. By hiding that rating from the player, you are more than likely stunting their growth.

WP Valve, WP.
    A new Hero, AR and this awesome feature that will prevent unnecessary raging.
    This is the Valve I know!

Basic Member
    I think its a bad idea to make the settings buried in the menu and private by default. This kills any possibility of a representative sample on any stats site, as only the very few will go in and change the setting.

Still, I can understand why people may be averse to a "public-by-default" situation too, as this could cause people to be unaware that they have surrendered their privacy. As a stats lover, I wish everything in dota would be public by default, but I am respectful of people's privacy concerns.

The most fair way to address this, then, imo, is to force players to choose whether they wish to be public or private whenever they next (or first) log in. This would allow everyone to make a decision, rather than being unknowingly opted into a specific privacy choice. While everyone here on the dev forums, or on reddit, may be aware of the issue and change the setting to what the desire, the majority of the player-base always differs from the most hardcore and would be better served by making the option and its implications much more obvious, at least for the sake of broader dota stats ecosystem (and any other future potentially innovative dota-stats products!).

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kaliteros View Post
    Good thing valve keeps destroying every single hope of people playing competitive games in matchmaking. Maybe it's a conspiracy so people stop playing their matchmaking and getting items for free? Can't imagine them being that dumb otherwise.

Or are you going to hit league of legends in terms of casual-ness? lmao
    Fuck are you retarded

How does such a rating make your play more competitive in matchmaking?

You would still play with the same people, no matter what the DBR is.

Valve obviously did this for 2 reason.
    1) nowadays privacy is always good
    2) dbr wanted to sell access to the rating which should never be allowed

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi- View Post
    Fuck are you retarded

Then Valve needs to hurry the fuck up and get their shit together and get a public rating out. It's silly that players cannot track their status and see if they are improving or not. Rating would make things more competitive because now people have something to play for, rather than just 'oh i play for funzies'

Banned
    The only people who care this much about stats are insecure wannabe pro players who think that a number will show then how good they are. Tough shit. Only your games show that, not a number. Good players know how good they are roughly and don't need a number to tell them.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi- View Post
    Fuck are you retarded

They were not trying to sell access to the rating lol where did you get that info ?

Edit: they even state your DBR access will always be free.

Edit 2: Insted of this dumb shit Valve should make their own MMR available with the public / private option, this whole dotabuff thing is just to fill the void anyway.
    Last edited by TheAnml; 01-23-2013 at 03:00 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by allbusiness View Post
    Yeah but you don't know if everyone is good or not, so how can you tell if you're improving or not as a new player? Currently there's no way to track progress other than 'gauging' yourself to see if you're getting better or not. Valve is really doing a disservice to new players, because how the fuck can you track if you're getting better or not? You know how difficult it is to do that? I played competitive CS all the way to Invite level, and I can tell you, that without real dedication and analytical skills, I would have never made it. Because, the point of the matter is, with good stats, MMR, replay analysis, etc. it makes it much easier to track your progress and IMPROVE. By hiding that rating from the player, you are more than likely stunting their growth.
    There is one simple way. As you climb in the MM you face better opponents. This is so important, in DotA or CS this wasn't the case as you learnt the game. So you never got rid of bad habits because only 1 player in 100 was good enough to punish it as you played. Thus you got no constant feedback of the same thing due to people being worse than you once you climbed the 50% mark. The best players weren't even in the same pool due to the invite leagues you mentioned.

Another way is to after x amount of games go back and check a replay of how you played then and how you play now. I did that after 1 000 replays in DotA, the difference was staggering.