Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd Party Privacy etc...

Basic Member

3rd Party Privacy etc...

- Added a privacy setting in the UI so that players can specify whether they want to allow external 3rd party websites to be able to access their match history (defaulted to private).

How many here think this is actually an incredibly terrible idea?

Why would you just kill off so many community driven projects that revolve around this simply because one of them is (oh gosh oh dear) trying to incorporate a feature that should already be in the game. All current players will be scored by DB's system once it goes live anyway so I don't see the point in this massive overreaction.
    The defaulted private setting is just evidence that this is purely a dick move and not any actual concern for privacy as the vast majority of players not only don't care for privacy but also don't care for turning it back to public for the greater good of statistics.
    I'd forgive valve for it if they were planning to eventually release their own extremely sophisticated MMR that will truly show everyone's skill a la performance bars but I don't see any hope of them doing it themselves.

Basic Member
    Because Valve violated their own principals. The fact of the matter is having a visible rating is a part of most public inhouse systems. If you played in a leaver protected system, you had a rating/stats tracked. Period. And it was public; it wasn't something you could hide. People did it so that people would know who was good, who was bad, what heroes people could play, etc. It is absolutely silly that they are doing this. They say in interviews they don't want to remove the 'hardcore' nature of DotA 2, and turn around and basically coddle a bunch of idiots who can't take the fact that a rating system is going to demonstrate to them how good/bad they really are.

Fact of the matter is, you will never improve, and your general population will never learn the rules of the game if you don't feed them VISIBLE information as to how good they are in relation to the general population. Right now a new player has no fucking clue how good he is or how bad he is.
    Last edited by allbusiness; 01-23-2013 at 02:21 PM.

I think it is a bad idea indeed.
    specs for bugreports:
    i5-4200U
    AMD Radeon HD 8750M
    win 7

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Why would you just kill off so many community driven projects that revolve around this simply because one of them is (oh gosh oh dear) trying to incorporate a feature that should already be in the game.
    Excuse me, what community driven project bullshit are you talking about?

If you mean implementing custom leagues for players and check their ratings, just enforce them to show their profiles if you think it's neccesary. Oh Gosh Oh Dear so ez.

This is a really good move by Valve IMO. If you want to show your rating, do it, if you don't, don't, simple as that.
    I will be showing mine, so don't begin with the "Bronze Scum Detected" comments.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noya View Post
    Excuse me, what community driven project bullshit are you talking about?

If you mean implementing custom leagues for players and check their ratings, just enforce them to show their profiles if you think it's neccesary. Oh Gosh Oh Dear so ez.

This is a really good move by Valve IMO. If you want to show your rating, do it, if you don't, don't, simple as that.
    I will be showing mine, so don't begin with the "Bronze Scum Detected" comments.

That's not the point; the system doesn't work and cannot be accurate without all the information. If even 25% of the population clicks 'hide', it's going to screw up so many games because you cannot accurately make a good MMR without all the information available.

Not just that, Valve also essentially killed dotabuff as a site. Now it can't even properly track stats.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    -

(Wall of shit)
    Dude what drugs are you taking?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by allbusiness View Post
    That's not the point; the system doesn't work and cannot be accurate without all the information. If even 25% of the population clicks 'hide', it's going to screw up so many games because you cannot accurately make a good MMR without all the information available.
    Then too fucking bad. It's privacy and we can do what we want with our own data.

Basic Member
    Just stopped to say that I agree with OP

Basic Member
    The default setting should be public. If players don't want their match history be shown they should manually change it to private.

Dotabuff would be screwed otherwise...

Banned
    Too fucking bad for people who are complaining. This is an excellent move by Valve to let us chose how we want our data to be handled. Where is Streammix, i want to shove this in his face.