Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: REQUEST FOR DEV CLARIFICATION: 3rd Party Privacy

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post
    In which case, what is the problem? I doubt people are going to pay for stats simply to flame each other...
    I never considered "flaming" argument to have any basis. People flame others for doing something they don't like, they absolutely don't need to know DBR of feeding idiot to call him out on it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcosMcc View Post
    This is just great!
    I want to know where I stand in the community. I want to know what kind of players i'm being matched with. It seems Valve is worried about how DBR will show how poor their matchmaking system is right now.
    If they publish the data as they said they would on Friday you can see how good/bad it is from their historical data that then stops working for future games when the patch hits.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sosseres View Post
    If they publish the data as they said they would on Friday you can see how good/bad it is from their historical data that then stops working for future games when the patch hits.
    Sure. And I expect to dislike what I'm going to see.

But in the future Valve will claim their matchmaking system is getting better and we will have nothing to help us question that (in case MM doesn't improve much).

Basic Member
    This is just great!

So the average player will see those random numbers, get confused and ask people why that is happening. They will get to know about the UI option and some will make their profiles public.

Hell. It just ocurred to me that having your profile in private mode will get you flamed.

Not everything is lost!

That changelog was the very first time Valve truly disappointed me in years.

I want to know where I stand in the community. I want to know what kind of players i'm being matched with. It seems Valve is worried about how DBR will show how poor their matchmaking system is right now.
    When was the last time you looked at the account_id field? The average player, like you, won't even notice this update. It only affects sites which scrape for stats.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Alert View Post
    When was the last time you looked at the account_id field? The average player, like you, won't even notice this update. It only affects sites which scrape for stats.
    Damn, I got that wrong. Thought the names of the players would be numbers in the match history in the Dota 2's interface.

I understand you are provoking me and I should just ignore it. But I need to ask. How did you conclude I'm the average player?

And I'm noticing it even before it was released.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post
    In which case, what is the problem? I doubt people are going to pay for stats simply to flame each other...
    Not to necessarily flame but I have enough disposable income to pay for stats to want to have that information over those who don't and wont pay for it.

If the pseudo-account IDs are still consistent across matches, then theoretically the DBR is still possible, and you would only be able to view your own stats or stats of other people with privacy disabled.

I believe this is completely reasonable. You should be able to see your own rank as a percentile of the total Dota population, just not others'.

It is not necessary at all to view other people's rankings because Valve's matchmaking system guarantees the aggregate MMR of your team to be similar to that of the other team; It is not necessary to investigate yourself whether this is the case.

How did you conclude I'm the average player?
    Probably the naive response to this patch?
    Last edited by Infinitywraith; 01-24-2013 at 06:40 PM.

Basic Member
    EDIT by slowreflex: You can still get match information of private players. It is just done with an anonymous name tag. So you can still do consolidated analysis, etc. So you can still do things like most played heroes. most common items on heroes, etc. You can still get match information as well, just some of the player names will be random numbers (I believe). Most people don't realize this and are thinking it's a bigger deal than it is. What 3rd party sites can't do well now is specific player information (unless someone is marked public of course).

Anyone here can read?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    Anyone here can read?
    Jumping on bandwagons and spreading misinformation is more fun.

Basic Member
    So is the current DBR accurate, since it's based on historical data prior to the new privacy setting that was released on tonight's patch? Or does it affect all the stats on all the previous games I've played - thus, making it inaccurate? Just wanted some clarification if anyone knows. Thanks!