Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: REQUEST FOR DEV CLARIFICATION: 3rd Party Privacy

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by r7jwt View Post
    So is the current DBR accurate, since it's based on historical data prior to the new privacy setting that was released on tonight's patch? Or does it affect all the stats on all the previous games I've played - thus, making it inaccurate? Just wanted some clarification if anyone knows. Thanks!
    It is based on everything they gathered so far, like 1,5+ years of stats or so. If you think 1 day of missing(private) stats will skew the results by any significant amount...

Basic Member
    They didn't miss stats, because they can't respect privacy option properly yet.

Basic Member
    You can only get the DBR of a person if they are in the top 50,

or ask a friend to login and tell them theirs.

Basic Member
    I am just going to drop this generic reply here in every dotabuff/dbr thread just so the dev knows there are people like me out there:

About Solo MMR/DBR being visible:
    Dota is a team game. There is no number can indicate someone's skills in a teamwork orientated game with 100+heroes. Yes, a MMR can roughly show that if you are good at this game or not BUT who knows you are not Pirate (that SK guy, not implying he is good or bad but player like him exclusively playing only one hero for 2k games) or just some tryhard players only play 10 heroes but are completely trashcan on 90 other heroes? Or how is that fair if they showed a MMR of some guy who soloqueue 100games against the mmr of some guy who played 100games in full stack? While KDA is a hit and miss because 0/10/5 can mean an average support or some mvp support who gets to be the cannon fodder against specific line up, the amount of wards bought doesnt count because anyone can spam wards.

If you want to be competitive in a 5v5 game you go make a 5men team and go cw/scrimming etc etc, team mmr should be visible and it can show how good your team is (albeit Team MM is not available yet). Not something like you go stacking up with 3-5 people and go play against 5 randoms and you own them and you tell the world you are good.

FYI chinese dota1 ladder has this system of giving rankings to the heroes you use, ie you are good with sniper then you will have a high ranked sniper, so if you lost your game with sniper you lose alot points on the hero and vice versa. And even so those ex-pros (like 820/2009) said the system is still not fair enough.

I am not against a MMR that can truly show that how skillful people at anything in this world but there is no such thing existed in dota world, at least nothing existed can persuade me on that (yet). I have nothing to hide about my stats (my dbr is 1878 plat 98% percentile fyi) so please dont label me with anything else.
    Clearly Valve didnt like DBR going to public too while it may due to the decision from the game designer/s or they simply dont want to risk that allowing a 3rd party website to have an impact on their product (that hasnt even released).

About Dotabuff monetize/fallen of their website due to shortsightedness:
    1. MM has been changed many times by Valve so this DBR should be taken with a grain a salt (ie, the accuracy is shit, yes it can tell good players apart from average but still the ranking is no way accurate).
    2. Why would Valve risking on a 3rd party site having any kind of impact on their game?

And personally to me
    3. They are looking to profit ie not really your friendly free of charge community service (ya money is required to run a website but please use google ads, $6 is a joke).

I have no pity to them tbh. The site is nice to have to check on many interesting facts (imagine after the game released and it get huge) but the people behind it are just stupid. No offense but in all seriousness why would you plan on releasing mmr which is highly against by Valve (remember we used to be able to check our ranking by console? It was fixed in such a short time). AND THEN they tried to make subscription from that DBR service. They killed their site with their shortsightedness and the more disgusting thing is that they tried to turn the community against Valve by releasing that crying letter.
    Solution:
    Team Match Making (TMM) is the only thing that people should be looking forward to. Dota is a team game, as in team work orientated game. Team MMR is the only meaningful mmr in dota and it should visible for all especially for competitive players.

Make some bracket/division ladder for team MM, allow more team members in a team, allow people to join limited amount of teams at the same time. We may see some pubstar teams to rise in future! And valve can invite the top3 teams or something to TI3!
    Last edited by BurningSera; 01-25-2013 at 08:08 PM.

DBR was never going to be visible... go quote something to prove me wrong.

DBR was never perfect, but the more stats the better?

Who cares if they are selling access to data? The data was free and available to anyone. If you wanted to compete with Dotabuff, make your own rating and give it away for free, or just don't look at the site?

Solution: Valve to clarify exactly where it stands, and what it plans to implement. Who can expect knee-jerk reactions, given no information... even when directly talking to Valve?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    EDIT by slowreflex: You can still get match information of private players. It is just done with an anonymous name tag. So you can still do consolidated analysis, etc. So you can still do things like most played heroes. most common items on heroes, etc. You can still get match information as well, just some of the player names will be random numbers (I believe). Most people don't realize this and are thinking it's a bigger deal than it is. What 3rd party sites can't do well now is specific player information (unless someone is marked public of course).

Anyone here can read?
    This quote isn't clear on whether or not the random IDs are consistent across matches or not.

Edit: never mind, I just tested and the censored player IDs are replaced with 2^32-1 (-1).

Banned
    So the match-details screen you get through the API is now worse in quality than the Match Details screen ingame, because you can't know anymore whether you played with certain people before or not.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Typhox View Post
    So the match-details screen you get through the API is now worse in quality than the Match Details screen ingame, because you can't know anymore whether you played with certain people before or not.
    And it doesn't give you the replay info anymore, making it impossible to easily get certain useful bits of data. And if someone uses a unique name, it's trivial to find their matches since unless Valve fixed it, searching by name will still give you private matches.