Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 16:9 vs 16:10, inequality

Basic Member
    keeping c constant isnt absolutely fair in general.
    2:1,5 (-> c = 3) is better than 3:1 (-> c =3) to make an obvious example.

"For example, a 5:4 player will get used to have more vertical vision than the rest, and will be at a disadvantage if the tournament only offers 16:9"
    The solution to this would be that an optional black bar mode is available to force the wanted ratio on any screen.

Quote Originally Posted by gnaLor View Post
    keeping c constant isnt absolutely fair in general.
    2:1,5 (-> c = 3) is better than 3:1 (-> c =3) to make an obvious example.

"For example, a 5:4 player will get used to have more vertical vision than the rest, and will be at a disadvantage if the tournament only offers 16:9"
    The solution to this would be that an optional black bar mode is available to force the wanted ratio on any screen.
    look at the post above and you will realise why C constant is better.

i dont care about the 4:3 player, i am more interested in equality between 16:10 and 16:9.

Basic Member
    +1
    :/ Honestly if fairness is that much of an issue, just have a chosen ratio forced for tournaments or something. I don't really mind if another pub player can see the entire map at once.

Banned
    16:10 does see a bit more height though, Valve could zoom the game for 16:10 out slighty to make the visible screen the same size.

Basic Member
    It seems clear to me that if widescreen resolutions get more width then non-widescreen should get more height. It's not like the non-widescreen resolutions are somehow inferior or obsolete, they are just different; and I don't think players should be penalized just because they happen to have a 4:3 or a 16:10 monitor.

Banned
    yea; its annoying - i agree 100% with what karadoc just said.

Basic Member
    Now this wouldn't bother me that much if Dota 2 wasn't a competitive game where the ammount you actually see on screen at any given time can DRASTICALLY change the course of a game. People with 4:3 monitors are at a huge disadvantage simply because of that.

Here are some screenshots of what a 4:3 monitor player sees (I used the main menu as a refference since it's easier to notice the difference):

4:3 resolution 1280 x 1024 :

2011-12-06_00002.jpg

16:10 resolution 1280 x 800 :

2011-12-06_00001.jpg

So as you can see players using 4:3 monitors are either forced to play with an extremely horizontally cut image or use the 16:10 setting and play with large black borders that for some reason dissappear when I upload the screenshot even though i can clearly see them in my steam screenshots as well as ingame. They basically take 1/6 or 1/5 of the screen vertically. I won't even start comparing it to 16:9.

As I said Dota 2 is a game where what you see on screen may determine the fate of the game and putting players at a disadvantage just because of their monitor is definitely not a good choice. As far as I'm concerned this isn't something that could get fixed, this is something that MUST be fixed.

Edit: just so you don't get confused it's the same thing ingame. The bottom part with the hud is not cut, however the actual game area is.
    Last edited by Pleau; 12-06-2011 at 06:12 AM.

16:10 has more vertical space while 16:9 has more horizontal space which balances them out. 4:3 is just at a huge disadvantage. Atm I'd rather play at 16:10.

PS. HoN already solved this problem long time ago, but it also kept the crappy zoom level...
    Last edited by akaHideinlight; 12-06-2011 at 06:28 AM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crow View Post
    not sure why you hold sc2 as the holy grail of balance, the game suffers heavily from lack of polish, dota2 on the other hand has the time in the world to get it right, and i don't know why we should not aim for a better solution?

all i am saying is to make the area viewed EQUAL, i don't care what 'a' and 'b' are in the equation, as long as 'c' is always constant. (a * b = c)

that is the ONLY way to have equality over different monitor resolutions.
    Sc2 has a lack of polish ? Are you trolling? Not the best forums to troll on.
    There is no 'fix' for this issue, get a widescreen monitor or stay in the past, think all the game devs agree on that.

Basic Member
    4:3 is not "the past". It's just a different shape.

If I'm reading a website, or doing some programming, or writing an essay; I'd much rather fit more lines of text than have longer lines of text. ie. I'd rather a 4:3 aspect ratio than a 16:9 aspect ratio. Wide screen is not better, or newer, it's just different.

The 'fix' for this issue is to let players with wide screens see more width, but player with high screen see more height...