Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 16:9 vs 16:10, inequality

16:9 vs 16:10, inequality

Seems 16:9 gives a lot more area than 16:10, it would be nicer if 16:10 was a bit ozomed out to kinda equal out all the area lacking from the sides

here are the 2 comparison shots:

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/64...7B4F9F88492DD/
    http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/64...6124D6B017B7D/

i'll let you decide which one is the 16:10 (the one with less area derp)

Yes, this happens with other games, like Sc2.

It benefits screen resolutions the more panoramic the better, but at least DotA2 (as far as I know) doesn't give you super-vision if you have a multi-monitor panoramic setup, so 16:9 is the maximum.

Quote Originally Posted by shalafi View Post
    Yes, this happens with other games, like Sc2.

It benefits screen resolutions the more panoramic the better, but at least DotA2 (as far as I know) doesn't give you super-vision if you have a multi-monitor panoramic setup, so 16:9 is the maximum.
    you completely dodged the thread, i already know everything you said, the thread is about fixing it, please give ideas, stating the obvious doesn't help anybody.

Basic Member
    I use 16:10 and this is bullshit, even in 1.6 you can see more on widescreen resolutions, and a lot of the pros opt to play with lower 4:3 ones. And 1.6 is one of the most competitive games of all time. Right now it's way too zoomed in.

Basic Member
    If you take a closer look, you can definitely see it's almost the same vertical space. But because it's stretched, it looks different.

2011-11-21_00001.jpg
    2011-11-21_00002.jpg

Basic Member
    This is a really annoying issue for me, since I already struggle with such a zoomed in camera view. I hope they end up zooming it a touch back. I feel like my face is mashed against the ground

Problem is: if you zoom out the 16:10 then the horizontal observable area is the same, but the vertical observable area would be larger for 16:10 than for 16:9, so you will still have an inequality.
    specs for bugreports:
    i5-4200U
    AMD Radeon HD 8750M
    win 7

Quote Originally Posted by crow View Post
    you completely dodged the thread, i already know everything you said, the thread is about fixing it, please give ideas, stating the obvious doesn't help anybody.
    Oh, I discussed and defended the right for 16:10, 4:3 and 5:4 to get a fair amount of terrain-view in blizzard's forum during SC2 Beta, just like you are now.

They ignored it completely, and some people (some e-sport related people too) said that it was simply easier making 16:9 the standard. The thread was deleted with the rest of the forums with the migration. What I suggested was:

Quote Originally Posted by Shalafi@SC2BetaForums
    No matter the screen ratio, the game should adjust the zoom so everyone sees the same amount of square tiles. A square tile is the standard terrain unit in the map editor. A typical map goes from 64x64 to 256x256.

So if we measure how many horizontal tiles you're seeing and how many vertical, and make the product, that should be a constant across all computers.

For example, if the constant is 100:

16:9 should see 13.333 x 7.5 tiles
    16:10 should see 12.64 x 7.905 tiles
    4:3 should see 11.54666 x 8.66 tiles
    5:4 should see 11.18 x 8.944 tiles

I can make a script in 5 minutes that adjusts the zoom so it works like this
    This is actually the only elegant solution. The problem some people involved in e-sports pointed was that if a resolution is not simply better than the rest, people will get used to certain resolution and then be handicapped if the tournament computers dodn't offer that resolution. For example, a 5:4 player will get used to have more vertical vision than the rest, and will be at a disadvantage if the tournament only offers 16:9, which lets him see more horizontal view in exchange for vertical view, but he's not used to that.

Why should be 16:9 the chosen one? I guess because it's the most common resolution according to the steam hardware survey.

It's funny to see you fight my fight, but I guess we lost it when SC2 simply accepted 16:9 as the standard, since it's one of the most recognized e-sport titles.
    Last edited by shalafi; 11-21-2011 at 06:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shalafi View Post
    Oh, I discussed and defended the right for 16:10, 4:3 and 5:4 to get a fair amount of terrain-view in blizzard's forum during SC2 Beta, just like you are now.

They ignored it completely, and some people (some e-sport related people too) said that it was simply easier making 16:9 the standard. The thread was deleted with the rest of the forums with the migration. What I suggested was:

This is actually the only elegant solution. The problem some people involved in e-sports pointed was that if a resolution is not simply better than the rest, people will get used to certain resolution and then be handicapped if the tournament computers dodn't offer that resolution. For example, a 5:4 player will get used to have more vertical vision than the rest, and will be at a disadvantage if the tournament only offers 16:9, which lets him see more horizontal view in exchange for vertical view, but he's not used to that.

Why should be 16:9 the chosen one? I guess because it's the most common resolution according to the steam hardware survey.

It's funny to see you fight my fight, but I guess we lost it when SC2 simply accepted 16:9 as the standard, since it's one of the most recognized e-sport titles.
    not sure why you hold sc2 as the holy grail of balance, the game suffers heavily from lack of polish, dota2 on the other hand has the time in the world to get it right, and i don't know why we should not aim for a better solution?

all i am saying is to make the area viewed EQUAL, i don't care what 'a' and 'b' are in the equation, as long as 'c' is always constant. (a * b = c)

that is the ONLY way to have equality over different monitor resolutions.

This topic has already been brought up

If you think 16:9 is unfair, look at the 32:9 example in the other topic.

http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?...=multi+monitor