View Poll Results: Should the default privacy option be public?

Voters
2565. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1,883 73.41%
  • no

597 23.27%
  • Other (tell your opinion in the thread)

85 3.31%
Page 1 of 234 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: DOTABUFF and Privacy Option Feedback

Basic Member

DOTABUFF and Privacy Option Feedback

Original Post was edited by mods due to content and to keep people updated! This first post will be used to link information and statements.

A change was added in the recent patch.

- Added a privacy setting in the UI so that players can specify whether they want to allow external 3rd party websites to be able to access their match history (defaulted to private).

All this does is make individual player data anonymous unless they change the switch to public. You can still get match information of private players. It is just done with an anonymous name tag. So you can still do consolidated analysis, etc. So you can still do things like most played heroes. most common items on heroes, etc. You can still get match information as well, just some of the player names will be random numbers. Most people don't realize this and are thinking it's a bigger deal than it is. What 3rd party sites can't do well now is specific player information (unless someone is marked public of course). Valve is not restricting the use of statistics by 3rd party websites, but the current setup with the WebAPI seems to be unsatisfactory in the eyes of Elo Entertainment. They were scraping data using a custom client-based API to use on Dotabuff, which involves reverse-engineering the client and obviously isn't intended for use by 3rd parties, and are apparently unwilling to work with the WebAPI that has recently been brought back online. This is why they have closed their site temporarily as they now have to use the official method of gathering data (and are clearly unhappy about that).

Dotabuff.com has referred people to this website to complain, so we are leaving this thread in place for this feedback. All other threads on the topic will be deleted.

Please discuss this in a mature and constructive manner.

Thanks.

-slowreflex

useful links and statements:

reddit thread
    Teamliquid's HotBid statement
    DotaWiki's Serious Lagg statement
    CyborgMatt's statement
    some more from CyborgMatt, showcasing very early attempts at figuring out what can be done with the WebAPI
    An interesting and detailed read about someone who attempted to do the same thing Dotabuff did
    Last edited by DLRevan; 01-26-2013 at 05:39 AM.

Basic Member

DOTABUFF and Privacy option feedback

- Added a privacy setting in the UI so that players can specify whether they want to allow external 3rd party websites to be able to access their match history (defaulted to private).

So, this means sites like dotabuff will become totally useless now?
    Atleast change the default to "public"

EDIT by slowreflex: You can still get match information of private players. It is just done with an anonymous name tag. So you can still do consolidated analysis, etc. So you can still do things like most played heroes. most common items on heroes, etc. You can still get match information as well, just some of the player names will be random numbers (I believe). Most people don't realize this and are thinking it's a bigger deal than it is. What 3rd party sites can't do well now is specific player information (unless someone is marked public of course).

EDIT by DLRevan:
    Quote Originally Posted by DLRevan View Post
    Valve is not restricting the use of statistics by 3rd party websites, but the current setup with the WebAPI seems to be unsatisfactory in the eyes of Elo Entertainment. They were scraping data using a custom client-based API to use on Dotabuff, which involves reverse-engineering the client and obviously isn't intended for use by 3rd parties, and are apparently unwilling to work with the WebAPI that has recently been brought back online.
    Last edited by DLRevan; 01-25-2013 at 08:39 PM.

And from me, a sincere thank you for destroying dotabuff. Couldn't stand it, really.
    Heroes this user should seriously reconsider ever picking again.

THE DOTA 2 LORE MEGATHREAD IS TO BE UPDATED BY JULY 5TH

Visit the Dota 2 Lore Megathread. Renovation ongoing.

Good move.
    Last edited by Noya; 01-25-2013 at 09:10 PM.

I like the option, but I agree with having the default be "public"

Banned
    The noobs won this one guys.

Instead of taking their poor stats into consideration and using it as an incentive to get better, they want to hide their stats so they won't get their feelings hurt and stay bad until they quit this game.

Riot >>>>>>>>>> Valve

Thinking about quitting this game because it's boring as hell without competition. I love dota but I hate not knowing where I stand. I do my best to get better and then valve shits all over any type of stats visibility.

I won't be surprised if this game dies relatively quickly (compared to other games) after release. I might be happy if it does.
    Last edited by BNi-PoweR.; 01-23-2013 at 02:36 PM.

Other

People have a right to privacy. If some other website is exposing this information without their consent, then a having a privacy option is necessary. Defaulting it to private is also standard. If you want your information exposed, you must be the one to click "public" to consent.

Dotabuff is a potential breeding ground for useless stat hate and pissing contests thanks to their new ranking system rolling out tomorrow. Valve did an excellent move by implementing this privacy option, and many are thankful they did it.
    Last edited by blindsniper; 01-23-2013 at 02:36 PM.

Basic Member
    i expected something like this to happen. but i have to say that community projects like dotabuff should not be torpedo'ed like this unless they willingly decide to oppose valve's policies (which as far as i know are not known yet).

afterall fans invested alot of time and effort (and money) into that page and now they did a good deal of it in vain. the provided webapi implicated that projects like dotabuff are indorsed rather than tolerated.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1337_n00b View Post
    And from me, a sincere thank you for destroying dotabuff. Couldn't stand it, really.
    for what reason? you can check game history in much easier way and get some harmless statistics as well. If all of you are annoyed with upcoming DBR, then i don't understand, as all these things are subjective and shouldn't mean much, nor should they create so much hatred upon them. Dotabuff made a huge work, i don't see a reason to destroy it.

Basic Member
    If valve recorded stats as detailed as dotabuff, we won't need 3rd party websites at all.