Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Game Time and Replay Time slightly out of sync

Basic Member

Game Time and Replay Time slightly out of sync

I noticed when parsing replays and then checking my calculated game time versus the game time on the official scoreboard, I was often a few seconds off. I'm not sure how widespread this is but noticed the following on a few replays:

Match ID:94522449
    Replay Time: 27:16
    Game Time: 13:23
    Difference: 13 minutes 53 seconds

Replay Time: 48:34
    Game Time: 34:43
    Difference: 13 minutes 51 seconds

Match ID: 100467627
    Replay Time: 12:13
    Game Time: 0:05
    Difference: 12 minutes 08 seconds

Replay Time: 55:21
    Game Time: 43:18
    Difference: 12 minutes 03 seconds

It appears that the game time is slightly faster than the replay time.
    datdota.com -- Dota 2 Stats for the Professional Scene

No... :D
    :D

This thread is actually funny :D

Man, replays begin recording the game from the first second where a user finishes loading.
    Replays begin with 0:00, and from that 0:00 on;
    • Loading phase happens (max 2 mins)
    • Picking phase happens (1 min)
    • Pre-game phase happens (1 min 30 secs)
    • only THEN, the game time hits 0:00

And if it is a Captains Mode game, then it is a lot longer till the game reaches 0:00 game time. I assume the replays you were working with were Captains Mode replays, hence that much difference.

I don't know about parsing. I think you are now having issues on timestamping events. There must be some global texts that are being announced in the fixed times regarding the game time.
    Now, I have checked a random replay, and I have seen that

Don't forget to report players with bad conduct. [...]
    text is being displayed at 0:00. Again, I don't know anything about parsing and all, but I think you can use this text display time as your base point for the timestamps.

Basic Member
    i think appelsin misunderstood.
    did you account for pauses?
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

Well, that too, but why not? From which part have you realized that he has calculated the pre-0:00 time correctly and might have only failed at the pause aspect?

He has solely subtracted the Game Time from the Replay Time while putting down those Differences. I don't think he opted out the pre-0:00 period correctly...
    That difference can only come from those things I have listed, plus, the pauses you have just made me realize.
    Also, the post-game, which I have forgotten... The Replay Time increases although the Game Time comes to an end by the time ancients get destroyed.

Basic Member
    i think appelsin misunderstood.
    did you account for pauses?
    Match 100467627 didn't have any pauses. Match 94522449 had a pause at around the 11 minute mark. That's why I went from game time 13:23 to game time 34:43 instead of from an earlier game time mark.

Also, the post-game, which I have forgotten... The Replay Time increases although the Game Time comes to an end by the time ancients get destroyed.
    All the times I quoted above are prior to the ancient being destroyed and after the initial horn.

I think you're misunderstanding me ThoAppelsin. The numbers I quoted above do not come from my calculations, they come from physically loading up and viewing replays. Try it. Watch a replay with no pauses. Go to one time early in the game and see the difference between the game time and the replay time. Go to any time later in the game (20+ minutes) and see the difference between the game time and the replay time. As long as there are no pauses, the difference between the two times should remain constant.

Here's another example. Match ID 37590330. I do not have any pauses listed in this game. I tried running the replay with Bruno's replay parser and it also does not list any pauses. This is one of the matches from the International 2012 between Na'Vi and LGD in the upper bracket finals. I don't recall there being any pauses in this game.

http://i.imgur.com/5EEBbSt.jpg
    Replay Time: 10:26
    Game Time: 00:20
    Difference: 10 minutes 6 seconds

http://i.imgur.com/pMhNJnq.jpg
    Replay Time: 57:58
    Game Time: 47:56
    Difference: 10 minutes 2 seconds

I'm wondering why the difference between the two times would change as the game progressed. If there are no pauses the difference shouldn't change.
    Last edited by Razumov; 01-27-2013 at 08:27 PM.

Oh... Well... This is embarassing. Now I understood.
    And I was wondering why the 2nd and 4th reference did not have a Match ID...

Okay, I think there really might be an issue there. adrianlegg had also pointed out some time issues long ago.
    Here is the thread: http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?...l=1#post398247

It is not the same, I think, but still...

And there was some other thread pointing out that either the day or the night being significantly shorter than the other. I couldn't find that one though...

Sorry for my initial misunderstanding once again.

Basic Member
    is this sync issue reproducable in private games/all replays? is it linear with gametime?
    just asking since you seem to have a quick way of verifying it.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blash365 View Post
    is this sync issue reproducable in private games/all replays? is it linear with gametime?
    just asking since you seem to have a quick way of verifying it.
    I'm not sure, I'd have to look into it some more. It's not really fast for me to check and kind of aggravating due to the in game replay viewer being kind of sluggish for me when I want to load up and skip around large replay files.

Basic Member
    does the webapi still not allow you to download replays?:/
    nice site btw.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blash365 View Post
    does the webapi still not allow you to download replays?:/
    nice site btw.
    Thanks. When the API was rebooted recently the ability to download replays was removed. I'm hoping it will be added back at some point in the future. In the meantime I have to download the games manually.
    Last edited by Razumov; 01-29-2013 at 11:52 PM.