Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [Example] Live League Game Signature Image

Administrator

Post [Example] Live League Game Signature Image

I wanted to write up a few examples of WebAPI consumers, so I spent some of my free time coming up with this one.

Source code and up-to-date description lives here: https://github.com/danieljennings/dota2webapiexamples

Live League Game Signature Image

This example is a feasible forum signature that will show forum-goers the currently-live league matches occuring on Dota 2 at the time. It will rotate through all of the live league games, giving each one 3.5 seconds of visibility before moving onto the next and wrapping back around to the first.

This image is an example of what the signature looks like, but is not live itself. Visit this link to see a live version.

Requirements:

Demonstrates:
    • WebAPI: GetLeagueListing
    • WebAPI: GetLiveLeagueGames
    • Caching: Using Memcached to reduce latency by caching WebAPI results

Source code: https://github.com/danieljennings/do..._signature.php
    Last edited by DanielJ; 01-29-2013 at 06:51 PM.

Great... except how often do we expect there to be league games on?

A neat concept none-the-less.

Sorry for double post.

Looked a bit closer at the code.

Why do you not use curl? File_get_contents does the job, but is not nearly as efficient (Can be more than 25% inefficient depending on number of requests). (Random Source http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5...er-performance)

How efficient is the code (how many queries does it require?) when you instead want to make a live sig of who the players are in those games?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmydorry View Post
    Great... except how often do we expect there to be league games on?

A neat concept none-the-less.
    The concept wasn't the important part of the project, I just wanted to fit the pieces together and hopefully make it easier for new programmers or new WebAPI users to create something. :-)

As far as Curl versus file_get_contents goes, I've always used file_get_contents and it has served me well enough. The code that I wrote would look different if I were trying to actually deploy it at any scale or ensure its maintainability.

For the player listing, it looks like the players, spectators, and commentators are all listed by name in the GetLiveLeagueGames method, which means the data is available to this sample code already.

Great. Thanks for the fast response. I am sure it will help someone.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielJ View Post
    For the player listing, it looks like the players, spectators, and commentators are all listed by name in the GetLiveLeagueGames method, which means the data is available to this sample code already.
    Last I checked (when there was a live game on), there's just a team ID that goes between 0 and 4 (at least). Mind posting the enum for that?

Administrator
    Here's an example GetLiveLeagueGames response for testing: https://gist.github.com/4675491

For the Team ID's, as far as I can tell:
    0 Radiant
    1 Dire
    2 Broadcaster
    3+ Spectator (not sure what the difference is here, but it probably doesn't matter)

Nice, I was waiting for someone to make use of the new live league API, surprised the big sites like Gosugamers and Joindota haven't implemented it into their ticker yet.
    // Economy
    "NotTheStringsYoureLookingFor"

What can we do with team_id in:

"radiant_team":
    {
    "team_name": "Absolute Legends Academy",
    "team_id": 231312,
    "complete": false
    },
    "dire_team":
    {
    "team_name": "4 Friends + Chrillee",
    "team_id": 41,
    "complete": false
    },
    Is there some Team API to list current players/get id (to use with getugc...) of team logo, basing on team_id?
    You gotta FIGHT!
    For Your RIGHT!
    To BUUUGFIX!

Administrator
    There's no GetTeam API (yet), but specifically team_logo should be present in the response to GetLiveLeagueGames when the next server patch goes live.