Thread: Matchmaking has failed.

Basic Member

Matchmaking has failed.

So Dota 2 is officially out and there's still no transparency in the MM. No idea what level I'm in, whether I'm being ranked with newbies or if I'm up in high. I'd like to know what level of players I am playing with so I can adjust my tactics and picks accordingly, if I'm in higher, I'll probably support more, but if I'm in low I might be more likely to pick a "fun" hero or carry.

Either way, 90% of games aren't fun. They are pubstomps either way. It's not fun if I win because it's easy mode and the entire enemy team plays like they're new to the game. When I lose the other team is simply too good, or my team makes bad judgement and decisions.

MM should be fixed by now but in fact it's just got worse. I can't remember the last time I had a really close, challenging game in either early, mid or late game, and the lack of transparency is horrible. I'd like to know what level of players I am playing with so I can adjust my tactics and pics accordingly. I'd like to know what level of players I am playing with.

Very disappointing for what is now an officially released game, not in beta.

Basic Member
    Yes, its quite bad. On my main account i got 650 wins or something. Got on the classical win streak, never asked for it, and didn't break a sweat to win the 6-7 games in a row. Now im in for a treat though because now im getting into games where i face flying courier, ward, counter ward, TI3 lineup, town portal to save ally etc. This while my team consists of... no smoke riki, 6 wins Windrunner, 5th pick void in a team with 2-3 carry etc. So i know, i will lose 6-7 games no matter what I do... i simply cannot carry such games alone.

Quote Originally Posted by hollowcrown View Post
    So Dota 2 is officially out and there's still no transparency in the MM. No idea what level I'm in, whether I'm being ranked with newbies or if I'm up in high. I'd like to know what level of players I am playing with so I can adjust my tactics and picks accordingly, if I'm in higher, I'll probably support more, but if I'm in low I might be more likely to pick a "fun" hero or carry.

Either way, 90% of games aren't fun. They are pubstomps either way. It's not fun if I win because it's easy mode and the entire enemy team plays like they're new to the game. When I lose the other team is simply too good, or my team makes bad judgement and decisions.

MM should be fixed by now but in fact it's just got worse. I can't remember the last time I had a really close, challenging game in either early, mid or late game, and the lack of transparency is horrible. I'd like to know what level of players I am playing with so I can adjust my tactics and pics accordingly. I'd like to know what level of players I am playing with.

Very disappointing for what is now an officially released game, not in beta.
    Matchmaking won't fix it.

Bad drafting decisions that are the major cause of stomps. To minimise the chances of being involved in them, or at least on the losing side of them, you need to do 3 things:

1) Learn to pick a good hero, to balance your team and counter the enemy team.
    2) Pick late. Last if possible.
    3) Win more matches to improve your rank.

Now to the reason that matchmaking won't fix it.

No. 1 and No. 3 are difficult. Very difficult. It takes a lot of experience to be able to do them sucessfully. Even the most experienced players fail at them. New players have no chance at the first one. It takes many 100s of hours of experience.
    Last edited by Craig; 07-12-2013 at 06:18 AM.
    To avoid LPQ:

Don't draw attention to yourself
    Don't use voice or chat except for 'ss'
    Mute all at lvl 1
    Only play in parties
    Get alternate accounts
    Limit your usage to one or two games per day per account
    Don't play too well
    Don't play on Sunday or Monday
    Wait until the developers reset LPQ status

If you're getting matched with trolls or feeders:

You may have been placed in a hidden pool. There is no known way out of this, apart from moving to a different account.

Basic Member
    You don't play to win in pubs. There is no way to quantify a player's level of caring when they queue up. There is no way quantifying a player's tendency to troll. There's no way to quantify whether a player will pick accordingly to for their team to have a good line up or not.

Besides, -ap mode is for players to choose whichever hero they want to play and disregard everything else.

If you're serious about winning then find some friends and stack or make your own team.