Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Performance Tab Remake

Performance Tab Remake

Personally, I found that this update to the hero performance page inspired me to try and improve it, as it made me think about what I’d like to see. The old performance page was not based simply on Wins and Losses, but a mix of stats behind the curtain that gave you an idea of your overall performance with a particular hero with the idea that it would be more accurate the more games you played. It did not do anything for me but frustrate because the heroes that I thought I was “good” with and enjoyed playing would find themselves near the middle of the pack regardless of how well I seemed to do and it was very difficult to impact the position of those heroes on that list. How do you improve a number when you don’t really know what it’s made up of? Why should you care where your favorite heroes stand when you don’t know what it is they stand upon? This got me a little excited for a brief moment when this last update came today. I thought, great, here is a new list with better features that might actually tell me something. No, no it did not. It has absolutely no new features and is basically just a different list. Not only that, but the list is out of “order” and provides even less information to the player. This is why I’m inspired to redo it once and for all the right way. Here we go.

First off, the list should be sortable, and in a way that the player can actually learn something from it. I hope to appease both stat junkies and the people that want to improve their game at the same time here. First off, just like any other list basically anywhere on the net or a computer, you should be able to sort it “up” or “down”. Ascending or Descending order should have been a part of this page anyway, and I have no idea why something so simple isn’t there already. Then, the components of what make up the list do not and should not be hidden. A simple break down of stats or an overall score would be a great start. Clicking on a settings button with a few simple options is all it would take, and it would look something like this:

Display Stats:
    □ GPM □ XPM □ Last Hits □ Denies □ Kills □ Deaths □ Assists □ Wins □ Losses □ Overall Performance

Give the actual value of the stat instead of a rating like 8/10. You have a 348GPM average with Leshrac tells you a hell of a lot more than having a 7/10 GPM for Leshrac. Averaging 9 kills a game with Storm Spirit makes more sense than 8/10. 10 what? Get my point? I’d hate to see these numbers continue to be hidden since there is absolutely no reason to hide them. Maybe a “WPM” (wards per match) would be a nice addition as well? Wards win games. Tells you the caliber of support as well.
    Again, this information can be very valuable to someone that wants to improve their game. Wouldn’t you like to know where your strengths and weaknesses lie for any given hero?

Gosh my XPM with Bane is so much lower than other heroes… I should learn how to support and keep up with my team at the same time so I’m not useless after the 20 minute mark and an easy kill for the other team. Or I should learn how to farm better with Antimage so I can carry my team and win more games. Holy crap I average 12 deaths a game with Shadow Shamen, I should practice juking and staying alive so I don’t feed the other team.

Granted, these things shouldn’t be epiphanies… if you suck with a hero you probably know that, but individual hero stats that are easy to sort and identify should encourage players to practice and improve their scores. The idea here is to improve the quality of players you encounter when not playing with a group, and who wouldn’t want that? Also, it would give players an actual gauge they can understand because it will be comparing hero performance to yourself and should align much closer to your perceived capabilities. Which leads me to the next improvement, comparison filters.

Compare Stats:
    □ Personal □ Friends □ Team □ Region □ Global

Seems logical that once you understand your abilities with different heroes that you would want to know where you stand against your friends, your teammates, your region, or the whole damn planet. Each hero would have a two part bar, one showing your score and the other showing the category average. It would make sense to be able to choose multiple options here to show multiple category averages. Knowing who’s GPM, Kills, or Overall Performance is better, you or your friends, is fun to brag about or again a form of motivation to be the best.

My performance score averages higher than my friends and team and regionally I’m not doing too bad, but apparently I have work to do if I want to be president of Earth. If you want to know you’re dragging your team down whenever you play Spirit Breaker, there it is. When your team needs someone to play Tidehunter because he’s just too good to repick it’s probably best to give him up to the most competent person with him.

Maybe even a quick way to check performance with the people you are currently in game with on your team? Might be nice, especially since we have All Random now or even for Random Draft and Captains Mode. Personally, I think the only other thing to do with this would be to be able to compare directly with another player. Where do you stack up against Dendi? Your team captain? Your best friend? That schmuck that trolled you all game for being terrible? Use a search box or click their name and find out from a new menu option of course!

View Dota Profile
    View Steam Profile
    ↗Compare Stats
    Etc…

Well, that’s what I think anyway. With this system or something like it I would be much more aware of my strengths and weaknesses, and we all have those friends that think they are really good with a certain hero and this would definitively tell them that no, no they are not.
    Hopefully this was a good read and gets people talking about what the performance tab should look like so we get something that doesn’t completely suck like what we have before us today.

Thanks for reading, leave your thoughts, and happy gaming!

-Hobbes
    Last edited by Hobbez; 02-01-2013 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Formatting

Basic Member
    Interesting. I really like your ideas. Sure they might not be epiphanies like you said, but we play a lot of games and some of us play a lot of heros. We might not realize exactly why we suck or what is going wrong when we are playing certain heros. But up against the information from the rest of the community the mistakes would be made clear. I approve of this message. I would love to see individual stats to learn from.

Exactly, I have played about 600 games but even my top heroes only have about 25-35 games. I don't want to play the same hero over and over and over again, I try to play as many heroes as I can and grow my strategy and find my strengths with each of them. Id like to know these things just to improve my strategy if I need to. Its a way of telling what ain't broke so don't fix it, and what needs attention. Thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts on this and express your support. I appreciate that =)

If something like this comes to fruition, though, I'd rather see "Compare Stats" be a Friends-only option.

I've thought about the times that people criticize you simply based on your dotabuff stats. "oh my god, you suck with that hero, I'm picking a carry instead of a support because I don't trust you"... Unfortunately, if there is a way for people to see your stats that is bound to happen. I'd still like to be able to see the information, but I can certainly appreciate that perspective. Profiling isn't fun for anyone, and there are always people that will do it =/

Basic Member
    Awesome ideas! I especially like the compare stat option for exactly that same reason in OP. Perhaps guys behind dotabuff.com could join efforts on this to make sth directly into the game.
    I would not worry about flamers much thx to the mute button

Banned
    Man this idea sounds like shit and the guy who made it seems like a jerk. -1

Jking I love you buddy <3 I support this fully.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordwainer View Post
    Awesome ideas! I especially like the compare stat option for exactly that same reason in OP. Perhaps guys behind dotabuff.com could join efforts on this to make sth directly into the game.
    I would not worry about flamers much thx to the mute button
    Amen, brother.
    It would be nice if more people learned how to mute/ignore people instead of crying and QQing about it... Well said

Oh, and Dran, lmao you're such a troll :P
    Last edited by Hobbez; 02-01-2013 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Dran...

totally agreed

Basic Member
    Well i dont wanna see that kill/death/gpm count on our stats. It would really suck coz everyone will start ksing just to improve his stats. Or farm with a support hero all game long.

Agree on the sortable thing about performance and the rest of them too