Thread: Stash the stash.

Stash the stash.

This is the best place I found to mention this, and I did a little digging around to see if it had been brought up already. Far as I can tell, it has not been directly addressed.

It seems many people are unhappy with the size of the HUD itself. Personally, the HUD is fine. It's all we know for DotA2, we shouldn't even know what a smaller HUD feels like while playing the game (and its the same size for everybody), so I don't understand this particular complaint. That said, however, there is something about the HUD that drives me crazy every single game. The stash.

I know I'm not the only person that buys things from across the map when I have the money to do so (pretty much in case I die and don't forget to spend the money). What happens when you do this? A complete eyesore of an inventory popup flies out from the side of the screen and just freaking sits there. Sits there until you finish your item, put it on the courier, or sell it so you can get that part of your screen back. Unlike changing the size of the HUD itself for some reason, everyone has actually experienced the game with/without that part of the screen covered up and does so on and off every single game. We should be able to control how this is displayed. I've sold countless TP scrolls, branches, potions, and several other things from my stash because it was just in the freaking way and it needed to go.

Just move your screen so you can see better, idiot.

I know. I know. But somehow that stupid stash gets in my way and I have a simple and elegant solution to this "problem". Just like you can show/hide the onscreen keyboard on tablet PC's, add a little arrow button to the left edge of the stash that you can push to make it roll off the screen where it belongs. There could be a little button left behind at the edge of the screen to get it back if you need it (forget what you bought already?), and even have a few interface settings to control its behavior. Wouldn't have to be much, basically just a lock/unlock stash, auto-hide stash when not within shop range, and whether or not to display the stash for a duration (like for sell back) after buying an item that is sent to the stash.

Perhaps a personal gripe I'll just have to get over, but it has bothered me pretty much every single game I've played of DotA2.

All that aside, I love the rest of the shop system and especially the courier system. I wish there were separate Suggested Items as well as "Preferred Items" to make shopping a little faster, but editing and reworking the default list is good enough for now. Please, just please fix the stash.

Thanks for reading and please share your thoughts on this, I'd really like to know if there are other people out there that feel the same way

-Hobbes

Basic Member
    Yea, most of the time it doesn't bother me, but sometimes it's really annoying.
    I'd like to see this feature to hide the stash in game, and support the idea. Wouldn't hurt anyone, so I dont see why not to implement it.

+1

Basic Member
    Eyesore effect is intended so you don't forget to pick up your items from the stash.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Treads View Post
    Eyesore effect is intended so you don't forget to pick up your items from the stash.
    So, we should have an eysore effect to items in courier?
    Anyway, it would be optional. If you want your stash to be the way it currently is, cause you think you would forget the items you bought, just don't activate the option to hide it.

Yea I figured that's why its so obtrusive, but items combine and automatically move from the stash to your inventory when you get back to the fountain, and there is a button (mine is T) that automatically transfers all items from your stash to your inventory such as non-combinable items and already combined items. So really, there are multiple ways already there so you don't forget. They could add some glittery glowing effect to the arrow I spoke of to inform you there are items in the stash, like a notification. If they did, the glow would almost be as annoying to some, so that should also be toggle-able.
    But that's the whole point of having stash settings so everyone can choose "classic stash" if they want or customize it like I'd want to. It's nothing ground breaking or uber important, but should be simple to control and implement since there is obviously already code in place to show/hide the stash based on whether or not you actually have items in there, otherwise it would just always be there.

Aha, well then, I clearly am not alone