Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: About language filter

no

This suggestion would only encourage racism. I highly disagree with it.

I've said it a few times now, but this new matchmaking feature is only there to help increase the chances of someone getting to play with people that speak their language. It's not a fix, and it's not there to enforce speaking a certain language. The DotA 2 community is international after all (you know, like the name of Valve's tournament)

If someone is a dick, report them for text abuse regardless of their nationality. Don't bring the russian argument in there, Valve doesn't care and the proof of this is that every russian-related posts are being closed on this forums.
    Last edited by Bleako; 02-07-2013 at 07:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pie Flavor View Post
    but as of now this is nothing but a placebo, a way of calming the community, and I sincerely DOUBT this setting affects matchmaking in any kind of form.
    Think about this logically. Let's say you have 100 people that are put in the matchmaking pool regardless of their language, and 12 of those only speak Chinese. Your chances of getting a chinese player on your team is pretty high.

Then, have the 100 players select language(s). 10 of those only pick "chinese". If you have picked "english", your chances of getting chinese players on your team are much smaller because you're actually put in the matchmaking pool with 90 people, with the 10 others going in their own chinese-speaking matchmaking pool.

This is no placebo effect.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CvP View Post
    Stupid suggestion.
    Why though? If you select "english" and you meet people just chatting russians, why shouldnt that be reportable?

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenkrow View Post
    Why though? If you select "english" and you meet people just chatting russians, why shouldnt that be reportable?
    Read comment above.

Banned
    T-Up if it automatically bans the reporting player

Will failure to select correct languages be reportable? Yeah the same way you can report unintentional feeding by reporting it as intentional feeding you gonna be able to call it text abuse, even though it's not abusive to use the chat function in your own language or hinders your own game experience in anyway, beside if you're allergic against cryllic letters... I would hate to have to check every single redneck report incoming with this new system, ...

I think it has some kind of a right point in it. if valve already made a filter, so we are able to choose who we want to play with...then it should be respected, but (!!!) only if someone not speaking english/chineese/russian picks the language and trolls, feeds or flames. Everybody should be able to choose what they want, if a russian wants to play with german people, and learn a bit german that way, why not? The bigger problem are just this trolls, and it is not about respecting the filter, but respecting the other players and be aware of getting reported, at the moment noone is affraid of getting reported... the only thing u hear if you say "i report you!" is, "UMAD? REPORT ME SUKA I DONT CARE NOTHING HAPPENS HAHAHA!" ... And sadly, its true, something like 1-2 days of lpq doesn't hurt anyone... some days of ban would.
    Prepare for unforeseen consequences.

Basic Member
    yeah, I thought about that. Call it flaming if I dont understand what he sais and he is in an "english" game. But I'd rather have a new report option

There should also be punishments for false reportings

This has realy NOTHING to do with racism. I don't hate Russians. One of the persons I most play with is a Russian, but he is capable of speaking English (and German, but that doesn't matter that much). It has to do with the huge impact that missing communication has. It's worse enough if you get matched with people that don't want to write, but adding another set of players that can't speak English is awefull. Especially MMOs are the perfect example: there are different servers for different languages, NOT for the region. That's no racism, but a required thing in team games.