Page 1 of 54 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: About language filter

Basic Member

Will failure to select correct languages be reportable?

I'm glad to see the implementation of a language option, it should help tremendously with language barriers, especially the Russian/everyone else divide. The only problem I see with this being an otherwise perfect fix is that it needs to be enforced in order to work.

As I understand it, the reason that so many Russians play globally is because they play from internet cafes, so they pay for their time and want to find games quickly, which means leaving every option open. Fair enough, as long as they're willing to handle a huge ping they should be able to do that. The ping wasn't the issue, after all.

However, they will probably continue to leave all options open, which means we will still see cyrillic characters on english servers unless it becomes reportable to speak a selected language.

I hope not. If they'd let us report people for speaking a different language than ours, they'd make this community even more racist than it currently is.

This new matchmaking feature is only there to help increase the chances that you will get people who speak your language on your team. If they truly wanted to keep russians from playing with the rest of the world, they would put a region lock on the servers and not bother with a simple matchmaking option.

Again, this is not a fix to the language barrier issue, just a little quality-of-life option.

Also, since this is clearly not a bug report for the Test Client but more of a discussion thread: my opinion is that even if a region lock was implemented, you'd still have the same percentage of pricks/trolls in the community. As much as people hate russians, the problem doesn't have anything to do with their nationality. It only has to do with the fact that some of them prefer to join a different server simply because the ping is better (even though the default spoken language is different than theirs). And who are they to blame? I mean, if the NA servers had horrible ping I would probably go play on the chinese or russian servers. At the end of the day what's better in a competitive game: no lag or no communication? Because I can tell you, I can make plays happen even if my whole team speaks spanish.
    Last edited by Bleako; 02-07-2013 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterlord View Post
    As I understand it, the reason that so many Russians play globally is because they play from internet cafes, so they pay for their time and want to find games quickly, which means leaving every option open. Fair enough, as long as they're willing to handle a huge ping they should be able to do that. The ping wasn't the issue, after all.
    You mistake Russia for China. Internet cafes are pretty much dead in Russia when you can find free wi-fi everywhere. Don't let stereotypes fool you.
    Russians are just dicks. Well, some of them.

And what is stopping you right now from reporting anyone for anything? That's right - nothing.
    It's not like adding another button will affect uselessness of reporting system.
    Last edited by SoJa; 02-06-2013 at 11:54 PM.

Basic Member
    Have you been to Russia? XD not everyone owns a pc there and cafes are popular! as for free wi-fi i dont think so. I as a Russian am not a dick only in LP when specter in lategame is levle 10 and farming top then i buy blink dagger, hop on a cliff and tp my noob team mate to me and blink out, just so that he doesnt feed( with keeper of the light)

Basic Member
    the language setting covers everything: not selecting anything means you don't have preference on the language

selecting english means you want to speak english, likewise with russian and chinese

if valve enforced MM to match people with equal language settings, we should allow reporting if said person does not indeed speak the selected language

but as of now this is nothing but a placebo, a way of calming the community, and I sincerely DOUBT this setting affects matchmaking in any kind of form.

Basic Member

[feature] Please add new report tab for not respecting the Language filter

+ there are bad people out there

Basic Member
    who wonders that those russians just choose english

Basic Member

as it has been repeated and reported: LANGUAGE FILTER DOES NOTHING

it's nothing more than a way of calming the community and hopefully silencing those kids that think they lose due to russians.

you won't get matched with people with the same language setting, you won't filter out people with different language settings, IT'S A PLACEBO

Basic Member
    I've seen there is only 3 languages available. What if I am not speaking English, Russian or Chinese? Should i get the report?

Stupid suggestion.