Thread: [Confirmed] Tower aggro in dota 2 different when issuing attack on heroes

[Confirmed] Tower aggro in dota 2 different when issuing attack on heroes

In dota 2 when you issue attack on an enemy hero the tower will aggro you and you can take the aggro off by issuing attack on a creep or an allied hero, however this won't work in dota 1, because when u start attacking an enemy hero or if u issue attack on an allied hero the tower won't stop hitting you unless someone else issues attack on a hero or you die.
    Also issuing attack on an allied hero is the same as attacking an enemy hero in dota 1. Creeps and towers will aggro you.

Basic Member
    try same thing when brood and veno would belong to different players.

edit: like this

or maybe im doing something wrong?
    Last edited by lunatic3k; 02-09-2013 at 08:40 AM.

The OP somehow did not understand how the system works.
    You can NEVER get the aggro off by attacking a target. You can force the tower to reevaluate the target system by switching targets. This happens also when attacking an own creep. If you're then the nearest target (or the rest of the priority), you're still hit. Something is wrong in his video at the start. A-moves WORK in Dota 1.

Basic Member
    added to sticky.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

May I ask why? OPs video feels strange. I'm pretty sure I've always done so in Dota 1 and lunatics video shows that it works.

Quote Originally Posted by lunatic3k View Post
    try same thing when brood and veno would belong to different players.

edit: like this

or maybe im doing something wrong?
    the owner doesn't matter but what you did made the tower switch targets which i thought you couldn't do. When I did exactly what you did the aggro switched, but when I did it again the tower stopped switching. Try issuing an attack on an enemy hero while in tower range, that's a better way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryil- View Post
    May I ask why? OPs video feels strange. I'm pretty sure I've always done so in Dota 1 and lunatics video shows that it works.
    Yes his video shows that you can do it , but that's just a simple aggro when you're attacking the tower, not a hero aggro. When you attack a hero while in tower range the tower won't stop hitting you until someone else attacks a hero (like the ward) whereas in dota 2 you can just issue attack on a creep or an allied hero and the tower switches its target.
    I've another video in just a sec with an enemy hero in it, that one should be better.

Team Liquid has this to show
    http://i.imgur.com/lgDjG.png

Seems reasonable to my experience.
    I have noticed that some orbs actually agro inside the towers range. That may need to be checked.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryil- View Post
    The OP somehow did not understand how the system works.
    You can NEVER get the aggro off by attacking a target. You can force the tower to reevaluate the target system by switching targets. This happens also when attacking an own creep. If you're then the nearest target (or the rest of the priority), you're still hit. Something is wrong in his video at the start. A-moves WORK in Dota 1.
    You are the one who did not understand what he was trying to say.
    In DotA 1 you can change the tower's aggro when:
    1)You attack the tower and you're the closest target to the tower, by attacking a creep you will alter it's target.
    2)When you're the only one in range of the tower and then creep waves comes in (creeps must come to a closer range of the tower than yours) and you attack a creep to alter it's target.
    3)You get out of range
    While in DotA 2 you can change the tower's aggro when:
    1) + 2) + 3) (from the above)
    4)When you attack an enemy hero and the tower starts hitting you by attacking a creep that is close to the tower range than you, you will be to shift it's target.

You can try doing No.4 all day long in DotA 1 you will never be able to change the Towers aggro unless you go out of range, die, get cycloned, phase shifted (if puck) disrupted etc.

You can make tower re-evaluate it's target only if you didn't gain the aggro by issuing an attack order on an allied or enemy hero.

In Dota1 enemy tower giving you aggro because you attack your own hero seems more like an engine limitation or a bug and not an intended mechanic (doesn't make sense that tower aggros you when you attack your own ally), either way I think it's better the way it is in dota2 because it encourages more aggressive play.
    Last edited by bob; 07-08-2013 at 04:22 AM.

Banned
    Bump. Huge thing, but it looks like intended.. It's even on the tips on the pregame loading screen.