Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Visualise pathing on the minimap

+1. But in my opinion should be done only when you right click on the minimap. Although, one consideration is, how many customizable on/off options is the game going to have if they try implementing this.

I don't know if that's really an issue deepak. There is a million advanced options for TF2, like whether or not you hear a ping when you hit someone, ping noise if your sniper scoped has reached full charge and again when you exit scope, lefty view models, custom crosshair, display damage over enemy, etc... Options are always good. It's one of the many things that makes PC games better than console games.
    This ain't ova.

Basic Member
    not needed in my opinion, learn the map by heart and you will know exactly between which trees your hero will walk. and multitasking is essential in dota, so just watch your bloody hero while purchasing (which is so much easier now btw..)

Basic Member
    Long time warcraft 1,2,3 and dota player here. Let me just start by saying that Pathing is a COMPLICATED SUBJECT.

I want to be clear that yes there could currently be bugs + undecided upon edge cases in the current dota 2 beta.

But lets talk about pathing in terms of what it is for dota. The first notable thing that comes to mind is fog of war -
    If you are walking through the enemy jungle, you could possibly encounter any number of enemy heroes
    while you path through the fog.

If you and that hero are both inside a one way tree path, but neither of you can see each other yet...
    what should the engine decide to do about your pathing?

It's not a simple scenario and it has to be decided upon like MANY other edge cases that prop up + can cause
    funky behavior.

The people at valve work on those types of things and as far as I know they are trying to "mimic" what is going on
    in the Warcraft 3 engine, with some exceptions or additions.

What I'm trying to show here is that pathing isn't always a magical solution to have your hero do exactly what you
    wanted it to do. Sometimes you need to click more than once, to make sure you go to the correct spot if it's taken
    or if its blocked or any of the other things that could possibly happen.

A great example I see happen to every single person who is new at this game -

they are running back in lane from attackers, the creeps just spawned a bit ago and are about to approach the lane.

the person running back has clicked on the well, and is pathing straight back down the lane. they collide with the creeps
    HEAD ON and cause the creeps to get 'blocked' and for them to be basically completely stopped for a second.

when they scream at the pathing for not going around them, it's just because they don't understand that the pathing
    isn't going to go around them for you. you have to actually make sure you clicked around them in order to succesfully
    avoid them.

So the end point about this lesson in pathing for the OP and anybody else - is that there is no UI for pathing that
    you can display that will satisfy your pathing needs. There would be a sloppy mess of a line that could possibly
    change or be obstructed.

Pathing is complicated and knowing the game well will teach you exactly the behavior of the heroes on this small static
    map.

Someday you'll get to a point where you don't need to look at your hero and you will know exactly where he is.

Basic Member
    God why people are so stupid?

This is to make the game easier to new players, of course better players will guide their hero clicking all the way to where he wants.

BUT NONE START THE GAME KNOWING EVERYTHING. And because you had to learn from the terribad learning curve DotA has now, it doenst mean it cant be improved to newer players.

Basic Member
    Do what ever with this, since its useless, only half brained people cant relalise where the hero is going when they right click. Maybe OP had common problem where hero would go in oposite direction since he misclicked on minimap or something dunno.

Anyhow if that would be implemented option to turn it off would be must.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jblanch View Post
    Long time warcraft 1,2,3 and dota player here. Let me just start by saying that Pathing is a COMPLICATED SUBJECT.

I want to be clear that yes there could currently be bugs + undecided upon edge cases in the current dota 2 beta.

But lets talk about pathing in terms of what it is for dota. The first notable thing that comes to mind is fog of war -
    If you are walking through the enemy jungle, you could possibly encounter any number of enemy heroes
    while you path through the fog.

If you and that hero are both inside a one way tree path, but neither of you can see each other yet...
    what should the engine decide to do about your pathing?

It's not a simple scenario and it has to be decided upon like MANY other edge cases that prop up + can cause
    funky behavior.

The people at valve work on those types of things and as far as I know they are trying to "mimic" what is going on
    in the Warcraft 3 engine, with some exceptions or additions.

What I'm trying to show here is that pathing isn't always a magical solution to have your hero do exactly what you
    wanted it to do. Sometimes you need to click more than once, to make sure you go to the correct spot if it's taken
    or if its blocked or any of the other things that could possibly happen.

A great example I see happen to every single person who is new at this game -

they are running back in lane from attackers, the creeps just spawned a bit ago and are about to approach the lane.

the person running back has clicked on the well, and is pathing straight back down the lane. they collide with the creeps
    HEAD ON and cause the creeps to get 'blocked' and for them to be basically completely stopped for a second.

when they scream at the pathing for not going around them, it's just because they don't understand that the pathing
    isn't going to go around them for you. you have to actually make sure you clicked around them in order to succesfully
    avoid them.

So the end point about this lesson in pathing for the OP and anybody else - is that there is no UI for pathing that
    you can display that will satisfy your pathing needs. There would be a sloppy mess of a line that could possibly
    change or be obstructed.

Pathing is complicated and knowing the game well will teach you exactly the behavior of the heroes on this small static
    map.

Someday you'll get to a point where you don't need to look at your hero and you will know exactly where he is.
    A line displaying pathing has been implemented in both LoL and HoN, and there is a reason for that: it is useful. A very thin white line does not count as a "sloppy mess of a line". If you want to know what it looks like, go check out LoL or HoN, play a quick game, and check out how your character path is displayed on the minimap.

Even as a fairly experienced player, there are oddities in pathing sometimes (which you mentioned yourself) that are practically unpredictable. A small line showing what path your character will take can fix that entirely.

As far as changing goes, of course the pathing will change, and therefore the line will update to show the new pathing, and the only way I could see it being obstructed is if someone is drawing on the minimap, which could easily be fixed by putting the pathing line on a higher level than the minimap drawing.

Lastly, don't confuse pathing with this line. The pathing will stay the same, all this line will do is tell the player WHERE that pathing is, which is decided as soon as a player clicks to move, so the pathing wouldn't be affected at all by this line.

Personally, I think this is a good idea. It could even be off by default, for all the people who don't want it, and then anybody who does can just turn it on.

Basic Member
    +1 To showing minimap pathing when you click on it.

just make this same as in Dota1: a green polyline with key points appearing when SHIFT is pressed

Basic Member
    wont change the metagame at all. +1 for making this an option.