Thread: [Suggestion] A valve protocol user endpoint to watch in-game

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

[Suggestion] A valve protocol user endpoint to watch in-game

(posted here after Reddit had no solution)

Steam has it's own protocol, used for things like steam://takesurvey/1 steam://guestpasses/ and so on. Most of these are documented (https://developer.valvesoftware.com/...owser_protocol) here.

I was wondering if there was an undocumented (or documented in a different-) location of how I could link my profile in a manner like steam://users/noxville/watch_in_game or something, allowing people click to automatically join the server and spectate - much in the same way you can with HLTV.org provided links.

I currently stream on pretty much the fastest ADSL in my country available - but this is only @ 480p. Many people (who aren't neccessarily friends with me on Steam) want to watch games that I cast in HD/in-game - so I was hoping there was an easy way to let them see my profile, and start spectating with 1 click. At the moment, they can obviously go in-game, find my name in a public chat channel, right click -> Watch Game; but this is tedious when it could be done in 1-click from the browser.

Kind regards,
    Noxville

Administrator
    You should be able to do this with the following URL thingie, so give it a shot:

dota2://accountid=1234

Where 1234 is your account ID. I'm not sure what the easiest way to get your account ID is, but it's the number in the URL for your profile on many third-party sites like here: http://dotabuff.com/players/112064860 . So, with that link, the account ID is 112064860.

Good luck, and let me know if you run into any problems with it!
    Last edited by DanielJ; 02-15-2013 at 12:00 PM.

Basic Member
    Hey thank you for the reply.

"dota2" is not registered as a protocol on my computer (and I doubt on many others either), and also not in the steam browser. Is there a way to force this? An example is if you message via chat yourself a link like dota2://accountid=something it doesn't appear as a valid URL

Basic Member
    After re-installing Dota 2, this worked. Not sure why, but very happy. Ty!

Would really like to know about other commands. I tried searching but this is the only relevant thread to come up. Can anyone scrounge up documentation?

Sorry to bring up an old thread -- @DanielJ any idea if this is still working? When I used dota2://accountid=1234 it loads into game but doesn't actually go into the match..

Would be great if you could advise