Thread: Can't type "c" in team chat while in game.

Basic Member

Can't type "c" in team chat while in game.

My c key works just fine, but I can't ever type it in chat, and it's pretty annoying. How can I fix this?

Basic Member
    I cannot type the letter "i" in chat. I have nothing bound to it.

Basic Member
    have you tried unplugging and replugging your keyboard in? this happens to me sometimes.

Banned
    Seems to be a bug in dota. Alt Tabbing did fix it for me when it happened (very rarely)

Basic Member
    I had the "i" issue as well twice. You will see it's not quite a dota thing. The reason I am saying this is because "i" will work in the console (and maybe the dashboard chat).
    For me, the fix was closing some applications that registered "i" as a hotkey (for example winamp registers ZXCVBN by default). For short, close any non-essential applications while playing DOTA and preferably don't register hotkeys if you do have any of them opened.

Not saying this is necessarily the cause (since it didn't happen for me anymore), but at that point it fixed it for me. I closed so many though, that I am not sure which caused it.
    Explanations on the normal, high and very high brackets in replays: here, here & here
    Why maphacks won't work in D2: here

Basic Member
    I've restarted the computer a few times, and every time it's the same -- 'i' doesn't work in the in-game chat.

- If caps-lock is pressed, 'i' does work (but becomes 'I')
    - 'i' works in console no matter if caps-lock is pressed or not.
    - I have a laptop, a USB-disconnect inside the chassis is unlikely (but not impossible)
    - I only have Steam and Dota 2 running, nothing else.

You will see it's not quite a dota thing. The reason I am saying this is because "i" will work in the console (and maybe the dashboard chat).
    This logic eludes me. If 'i' works in one place in Dota, but not in another, how can it be another programs fault if that program is running all the time?

UPDATE: I solved it. I removed "-console" from Set Launch Options in Steam. Now 'i' works every time. The console is bound to ' for me, so it shouldn't give any problems.
    UPDATE2: So I fooled around with this some more. You cannot bind the console to any key you'd like, it can give you these in-game chat problems. I have now bound the console to F11 and it works great.
    Last edited by apanloco; 03-26-2013 at 09:52 AM.

Basic Member
    Same issue but with letter 'p'.

and i cannot type "o"... i have it on "missing", which works, but i cannot type it in chat (tried to unbind it from missing, same shit)

edit: 3rd steam / dota restart (2 times both, then rr pc, then one more dota&steam rr) "solved" this... now find the source and fix it, it's really annoying.
    Last edited by ExecutorQ3; 07-28-2013 at 10:50 AM.
    General Ranked Matchmaking Feedback Thread - Share your experience.
    Which modes should be available in ranked matchmaking? - Let's try to make something important happen.

Phase 1: Collect Underpants
    Phase 2: ?
    Phase 3: Profit

Basic Member
    bump? its really annoying, this happens even in csgo

Banned
    When this happens, try to use capital letters (N, O, I) and see if it works.