Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: I want to post my frustration and disappointment about the Dragon Claw Hook situation

Basic Member
    (the ursa set is only infamous for it's terrible handling and folding to the whiners),
    The Ursa set should never have even made it into the game in the first place. It was hated when it was first spotted in the files, and it was hated a second time when it was shown in the workshop. The complaints were very much justified, because Valve ignored their own promise to let the community choose the cosmetics it wanted.

I think it's worth pointing out that this could easily be a case of a bugged rarity.

We know that Immortal means the item is permanently fixed at it's current number, from Valve's own description of the Timebreaker problem. No more will ever be dropped or sold in the store. The fact that there has still been drops while it is Immortal shows that something is wrong with either the tag or the drop list.

The reason why it's safe to assume that it's a bugged tag, and not a bugged drop, is because there's nothing wrong with the Dragonclaw. The only other Immortals in the game are Timebreaker (removed to set an example of copyright breaking), the Ursa Alpine set (almost universally hated by the community, with 2* ratings in the workshop before the set was implemented), the unique-colour unusual couriers (the colour system must not have been seen as a viable route for Valve to continue with), and the International couriers (specifically stated before release to be limited-edition to celebrate The International 2). The Dragonclaw has nothing to justify extreme rarity.

Although if the Dragonclaw does remain Immortal and gets removed from the drop list, I completely expect Valve to release a statement on why.

There were posts from a Valve dev on Reddit stating that the DC hook is not on the drop list. I assume it dropping is a bug.

Basic Member
    There were posts from a Valve dev on Reddit stating that the DC hook is not on the drop list.
    Valve dev, or "Valve dev"? Reddit's hardly an official platform.

Basic Member
    That's a replay taken from when the Hooks were briefly droppable. Replays work by recreating a set of commands, and the command to 'Show a Hook drop' does not account for the rarity of the Hook changing after the fact.

Please make Baby Roshan immortal too, it would be really nice for me if nobody else could get it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterlord View Post
    Valve dev, or "Valve dev"? Reddit's hardly an official platform.
    http://www.reddit.com/user/BrandonReinhart I belive it's his official reddit, but can't be sure

Quote Originally Posted by CinderN View Post
    Please make Baby Roshan immortal too, it would be really nice for me if nobody else could get it.
    Oh yeah while Valve is at it I have a list of items I would like to be made immortal to really help me out, since Valve bailed out dragonclaw hooks I could use the same treatment.

Basic Member
    if valve wants i can send them my whole inventory, got lots of crappy commons and uncommons which would look so cool if they turned into immortal. comon valve help a bro out.

Basic Member
    I copypaste what DarkCovah (just a normal player) from DotA2Traders has posted:
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthCovah
    I don't understand what Valve were doing. In their virtual economies pamphlet they state that one of their main guidelines (I'm paraphrasing here) is that they will never de-value an item, so as to never screw the players/traders/collectors over.

What they did in this patch was completely RUIN the economy for this period. They took two expensive items, made them droppable, which they were not. Hoarders and traders panic-sold for low prices (low meaning if the item was 10-13, they sold for 10). Then, after violating their main guideline (they de-valued player items significantly) they mess up the economy and damage it irreparably by making the Hook Immortal and the Stache Legendary.

Hook went from being 17-20 keys and rising, to 15-17 keys quicksell, even lower, and dropping fast, to (as threads I have seen show) 20-22 keys and rising very, very fast. This is a colossal upset to the Dota 2 economy, and should NEVER happen. Anyone that wanted a Hook and did not have a ton of keys at the ready is now NEVER going to be able to get one, since the price will rise to be about twice that of a Timebreaker, most likely - not to mention that there will be very few, if any, sellers.

Legendary Stache means that even though the Stache is now droppable, the extremely low drop rate will ensure that the item will slowly but surely rise in price. I predict that it will probably reach Timebreaker in price.

I feel sorry both for collectors and for traders, even for hoarders, because only the people who completely missed the rarity changes altogether or lucky/ignorant people will profit, and all others will probably lose value even though the logic they were using was correct. It is one thing to get items as an investment because you think the item is going to be rare/desired/whatever, and gain/lose keys because of that, and another entirely to gain/lose keys for an investment because Valve is playing with the drop tables and the rarities.

And don't even get me started on the Alpine Set...

Finally, I should also mention that the mass increase in these items' prices (DC hook, Stache, Alpine), as well as the rarity changes, will mean that other Immortal items will probably either stop rising in price altogether, for a time, or have the rate of value gain significantly decreased. For items such as GG, this is very bad, as they were barely rising in the first place.

TL;DR: I love Valve, but they fucked up big time. First they introduce a swarm of bugs into the game itself, then they blow up part of the foundation of the Dota 2 trading economy. I don't see a point to all this.
    It sucked major for those who had a lot of Dragonclaw hooks. They quickselled their DC just to see they did a "mistake". if Valve didn't update it to Immortal they did everything fine.
    I am one of them and have sold 13 hooks because of it.

If I hadn't traded that day.. I would still have my 13 hooks + Immortal tag on them...

I was hoarding-gambling the hook.. But it is an very unusual method to drop the said items making it drop A LOT and 24 hours later turn it to Immortal making it worth more than before.

Every changed you made regarding the dragonclaw hook produced winners and loosers. If change was necessary and one time.. Ok do it. But don't make it drop and next day Immortal.
    Last edited by GermanViet; 02-23-2013 at 02:06 AM.

Basic Member
    That is extremely unjustified move by Valve. Why should not DC drop? Stache drops, Brew mythicals drop, Baby roshan drops, Grull drops, how come that hook is any different?
    By that logic they have to make all uncrated items immortal, or revert the DC change, because otherwise this will be a testament of awful treatment of the customers.
    As for me, I'm done with cosmetics from now on, and I'm pretty sure there are plenty who think the same.
    Last edited by andzie; 02-23-2013 at 02:35 AM.