Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: About the Alpine Ursa set

they'd continue to whine, but they'd have gotten over it. I've seen it a million times with TF2. They add a lame looking item, it gets hate and ridiculed for a week or two and then everyone forgets it exists.

If a lot of people use a "bad" item it means that it was popular because lots of people are using it. If nobody uses a bad item because everyone hates it, then nobody will see it because nobody will use it.

It's a problem that would fix itself, and there are people (like myself) who upvoted the set and wanted to buy it and that ability was taken from them/me because enough people just couldn't stand the thought of an item they don't like being in the game. Making it immortal did nothing. It just made it more important, more sought after and is now a status symbol. An item set that would have been a trash uncommon/common people practically gave away is now one of the most expensive and most sought after item set in the game.

The total opposite of what people wanted.

And the community suffers because no Ursa set has been accepted, let alone even made, since Alpine Ursa was removed, I'd argue in part due to the harsh response to Alpine Ursa. It also took a long time for more adventurous sets to be made for other heroes, and even those stand with people taking issue. The community lost more than they thought due to short sightedness and the ability to just let things ride.

Look at the Dotabuff issue. The huge hoopla that caused. You read the thread and you had people agreeing and talking about stuff that had nothing to do with the situation, but they decided to just band wagon up and spew nonsense because the thread was large, fast moving, and it was a "big deal." The Alpine Ursa set was exactly the same way, with exactly the same posting patterns. Counter arguments were ignored and people just starting hopping on the hate wagon because everyone else was.

There were people who literally thought every Ursa player on the planet would be wearing the full set. That's how ridiculous it was getting. (the counter argument to that being that if everyone is wearing it, it's obviously a popular and liked item)
    Last edited by ned_ballad; 02-28-2013 at 12:45 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hefaistus View Post
    It was the community that asked for it to be removed... The forums were total hell when the Alpine Ursa was first added to the shop, and the one thread we kept open about it hit 100 pages within 24 hours. Meanwhile, any threads that are made requesting for its return sees a large opposition to the idea, and they hardly get any momentum as well. I highly suggest you don't claim 'it's unfair to the community', because it was the community that got this set removed in the first place. And I do mean the Dota 2 community, not the trader community.
    The problem here is the set didn't get "removed" per se, it just got pulled from the store and drop lists. People with it can still show it in-game wich is exactly what the community didn't want, to see a set in-game that was totally unfitting for a hero. The proper fix would have been a refund or item replacement for something else for those that got it, not making them obsenely rich for arbirtrary reasons.

Some clarifications beforehand: I never opposed the inclusion of the Alpine Ursa into the game, nor did I support its removal from the store. I did not like the set, and I wasn't too happy with the possible implications that it brought, but otherwise I had no problems with it. Hell, I defended it when it was first added. The reason I oppose its re-inclusion to the store is because I am tired of the constant arguing among the community, the superiority complex both sides display, the horrible argumentation, and the controversies. Let this set be, leave it alone. Move on. We don't need Valve constantly undoing their previous actions.

That being said, I feel the need I should point out several wrong statements you made.

Quote Originally Posted by ned_ballad View Post
    And the community suffers because no Ursa set has been accepted, let alone even made, since Alpine Ursa was removed, I'd argue in part due to the harsh response to Alpine Ursa. It also took a long time for more adventurous sets to be made for other heroes, and even those stand with people taking issue. The community lost more than they thought due to short sightedness and the ability to just let things ride.
    You are arguing wrong. There have been Ursa sets posted on the Workshop after the Alpine Ursa has been removed. There is also the fact that other heroes, such as Nature's Prophet and Bloodseeker, haven't had any new sets in-game since. Correlation is not causation.
    By the way, its removal did not stop adventurous sets from being made in any way, shape, or form. Not even 'right after the removal of the set'. Particularly the Polycount contest - hardly 2 months after the removal - had a large amount of adventurous sets (Samurai Pudge, anyone?).

Quote Originally Posted by ned_ballad View Post
    Look at the Dotabuff issue.
    Not even remotely comparable. When the Alpine Ursa was added, people had to come to the Dev forums on their accord, which they did. When the Dotabuff thing happened, the douchebags behind Dotabuff posted an url to the Dev forums and specifically told people to post there. And please don't remind me of that particular debacle.
    Yes, they were both hate threads. That's where their similarities end.

Quote Originally Posted by pipipr7 View Post
    The problem here is the set didn't get "removed" per se, it just got pulled from the store and drop lists. People with it can still show it in-game wich is exactly what the community didn't want, to see a set in-game that was totally unfitting for a hero. The proper fix would have been a refund or item replacement for something else for those that got it, not making them obsenely rich for arbirtrary reasons.
    Fairly certain that there are rules in place that disallow Valve from suddenly removing goods you purchased from your backpack, even if you get reimbursed. Not to mention that that would've brought greater concerns than the Alpine Ursa brought altogether.
    Anyway, the reason you brought up was why I supported making the Alpine Ursa set untradable as well.
    To keep these forums clean and friendly, please read and follow the forum rules.
    Before making a new thread, be sure to have used search, as well as checking the stickies of the appropriate section.

Lore moderator.

Basic Member
    ITT: bunch of whiners who were too slow or missed out now having a cry that other proactive people made huge amounts of profit that they didn't

I hope it doesn't get readded, it was removed for a reason. Valve could have refunded the sets, but with many that had already been traded, it was too late. They did what they had to after the mistake was made. The people in this thread should have a proper think about what Valve could have done, and what they did before they make stupid posts.

The immortal tag makes it very unlikely that you will ever be able to get it again.

Have a cry whiners xD

There's nothing wrong with the way the Alpine Stalker Ursa Set, or the Timebreaker incidents were handled. People who got them have them, and it's become a limited good in the marketplace. Collector's items like these are bound to be expensive for a reason.

What I don't like is how people are now using this past example as a precedent, to help them in accumulate inventory value by speculation. For example, a large number of people who complained about the Tools of the Haruspex set for Lone Druid, featuring the infamous Panda spirit bear, were just people who were speculating on it, bought a number of them, and hoped their complaining would have it removed and placed into Immortal status so they could rake a profit. This is the problem, not the value inflation of the Timebreaker/Alpine Stalker sets due to limited circulation.

Basic Member
    If you want the Alpine Stalker Set so bad, imagine this in the possible future:

You can buy the ursa action figure (without accessories, "naked") and customise it with a blister containing the alpine stalker accessories:
    it comes with a redeeming code to unlock your special digital version of the Alpine set!

Good idea?

I Realy would like 2 see this set back in the store i finde it unfair that some pople bought it and some cant now when its immortal....

Basic Member
    Pls restore this set

Basic Member
    y restore it pls

Quote Originally Posted by RiderOfDarkness View Post
    I Realy would like 2 see this set back in the store i finde it unfair that some pople bought it and some cant now when its immortal....
    There are a lot of rare items that can't be bought now, either because they were limited edition real world item bundles, specialty items in chests or event items. They are rare items now, live with it, it's something you can't have, just like many of the other items.
    D̶̪̏̇͛͂̈̊̏O̬͉̱̭̤̐ͤ͝T̥̼̗̦̯͙ͣ͐ͮͨ͛̐Ä̩̣̖̘̖͍̹͐ͮ̊ͣ̆̎ ̗͖̘̲̝͔̅͐̀̎͗͌̐2̢̔̄ͭ̋͌̾