Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: About the Alpine Ursa set

Basic Member

About the Alpine Ursa set

There are people speculating on that set. A mistake of a set is actually the most precious item in the game. And it wasn't even stated it was a "limited edition" set or courier.
    This abort of a set is around 800 dollars in value, just for a mistake on developer's part. I'd suggest to make it available into the store for a couple of weeks to reduce its value because that's ridiculous.
    Is that a game where if I really like a set I have to spend 800 $ to get it? Is that what Valve really wanted in the first place?
    Last edited by Fabrizio3k; 02-23-2013 at 04:13 AM.

After economy changes
    someone lose everything (trading everything for 1 set, then it becomes dropable)
    someone get unbelievable rich (the other guy ^^ or some other situations)

Get used to it.....And pray more for being second one if you care so much

Basic Member
    It's not that I care about the economy. I care about a set that became impossible to obtain, I'd like to have it but I can't. Why should I spend almost half my monthly income for a cosmetic item on a free game? Add the chance that, after spending 800 $ for that item, it becomes available again, rendering this item value 10 $ or so.
    There should be a cap for the value of an item. Valve have the power to lower values of items when they reach those levels, but they don't act.

I'll stop complaining anyway, since I noticed that I also posted in the wrong section. Thanks for the answer but my point of view is less focused on how the market behave but on how the value of some items are borderline immoral

Basic Member
    This abort of a set is around 800 dollars in value, just for a mistake on developer's part.
    That's actually exactly why it's so valuable. It was never meant to have gone public, so in essence it's a "blooper" set.

Consider an action figure; if a company accidentally ships a prototype of that figure, it will be a very valuable thing for a collector to have. It was never meant to have any worth, and certainly not meant to be more valuable than their finished figure, but it still happens because it was a slip-up.

I'm not saying it's a good thing, and Valve needs to (and has successfully done so far) keep the community reactions in mind when they implement items, but it's still a fact you have to live with.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio3k View Post
    This abort of a set is around 800 dollars in value, just for a mistake on developer's part. I'd suggest to make it available into the store for a couple of weeks to reduce its value because that's ridiculous.
    What is ridiculous, that the item set is highly valued or that there are people actually buying the set for that much?

I absolutly dont see the problem here.
    You dont need to have it to life, its absolutly luxory and i am actually happy that
    there are good items of actual worth out there.

Yes i would really love to have the golden roshan but i will not pay 1k dollars for it,
    i can limit my greed.

+it doesnt change anything gamebalance wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ttempest View Post
    Duh... its the IceFrog dude. Kinda like Chuck Norris just in Dota.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eddy23 View Post
    just becouse you are poor and cant buy for yourself?
    Chill down and stop with your kiddy trolling, I have a good job and that's not even my primary source of income. The point is, why should I buy an Ursa set? I'll never spend 800 dollars for a single set because it's immoral (that's not a grammar mistake), and surely not for something that can be worth 10 dollars the day after.

Nothing changes gameplay wise, but that's bad management on developer's side in my opinion. They introduce a set, they listen to the fans and remove it after a week, then they suddenly decide they should stop listening to the fans (there were petitions) that asks that set back because its high value is breaking the economy of the game, and the item is in fact impossible to get for 99,9% of the players

Is that the game you want, with sets that that suddenly and for no reason become the most valuable thing in the game? Everyone should have the right to be able to buy a set he wants. Time to go back to vanilla Dota for now
    Last edited by Fabrizio3k; 02-23-2013 at 07:48 AM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio3k View Post
    Is that the game you want, with sets that that suddenly and for no reason become the most valuable thing in the game?
    This isn't about the item. It's about people... nobody in Valve decided that Bow of the Howling Wind costs more than the T-shirt it comes bundled with. That's simply... user-made economy. It's become the most valuable thing in the game for absolutely no reason, that's right, but it's also the most valuable thing in the game for those who are willing to buy it. I personally don't give a damn about the Ursa set. You yourself said
    why should I buy an Ursa set? I'll never spend 800 dollars for a single set because it's immoral (that's not a grammar mistake), and surely not for something that can be worth 10 dollars the day after.
    So I think there is no problem at all going on in here?

that scarf and those gloves did not need to be removed. They fit Ursa fine.

Re-add those and let the hat and pants remain super valuable or whatever.

Basic Member
    valve does not care about us. me for example i like the alpine set, i would love to see it in the store again. i would buy it. the price of the set is just too perverse. if they deleted it from the store, why they didnt deleted it permanently and refunded those who bought it. if valve would care they would bring it back to the store. because today there are much more unique players then that time it was removed and definitely others like the set also.