Thread: Voice Chat issues

Basic Member

Question Voice Chat issues

I am having a problem all of a sudden where I can no longer voice chat in Dota 2. It started randomly as I had no problems prior to last week.

When I press 'g' my hotkey for voice chat (also the default if I am not mistaken) the little symbol that appears just above the inventory is light red with a line cutting through it, as if telling me my mic is muted or not working. What I don't understand is why it is not working anymore when before it worked fine, also my mic works fine in all other applications just not in Dota 2. If I go into the Steam settings and test microphone it works perfectly fine as well.

I am at a loss trying to figure out what I am doing wrong, any help appreciated.

Even the most simple suggestions.

Thank you.

Banned
    Go to the Settings and from audio to there.
    From there you check if the right microphone is beeing used by DotA 2 (Sound Device either "Windows default device" or the Device itself e.G. "Speakers (Name of your Speakers here)")
    If that's allright pull the "Open Mic Threshold" bar to the very left and check if it notices ANY sound, while you're speaking.

Basic Member
    The sound device is where the sound comes out of isn't it? I have it on Default device anyways, but changing it around does nothing for me, I do not have open mic established but the slider is right in the middle I have never touched it and it worked before. Is there a way to test in in the settings? I know that in the Steam settings under 'Profile' then 'Settings' when I test it works fine.

Banned
    Changing the Sound Device usually works while using a headset.

Did you reconnect your microphone while DotA was open? Try disconnecting it from your PC, close DotA, reconnect the mic and start DotA again.
    The way to test it in your settings is, if the Green bar, right beneath "Open Mic Treshold" moves while you are talking into your mic.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the replies, when I enable open mic and speak the green shows up. As for the connecting of my mic it is always connected to my computer. I will see if it works in game or not.

Edit: Solved the problem thanks!
    Last edited by nicoman; 02-27-2013 at 02:34 PM.