Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Show skill range on hotkey use, not only on mouse-over.

Basic Member
    Kautzman, you're right about new players and the learning curve that's why i think this option should be implemented on practice games, not in real games. That's the main use of practice games to get used to the hero, skills, etc.
    If i were to follow your thinking i would also suggest that it should be displayed on screen when an enemy player is missing from your global vision, it will reduce the burden of your allies from say'n it.

Quote Originally Posted by mk07ki View Post
    You don't understand, there's already 2 kinds of range indicators available through console commands, it is already in game. The only different is that it doesn't work the way OP suggests, which in my opinion is better than how it is right now.
    If there are still 2 kinds of range indicators we dont need to discuse...
    i never saw the console command for the range indicator.

If its ingame everyone who need it can activate it else just leave it.

Basic Member
    think of it this way, you have a crosshair in a first person shooter right? but adding range indicators on hotkey press and not on mouse over is like adding a laser target to every gun an a fps. yes its all information that is available to the player if they take the time to find it, but having it available at quick glance in a team fight changes the outcome of teamfights.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sterls View Post
    think of it this way, you have a crosshair in a first person shooter right? but adding range indicators on hotkey press and not on mouse over is like adding a laser target to every gun an a fps. yes its all information that is available to the player if they take the time to find it, but having it available at quick glance in a team fight changes the outcome of teamfights.
    It would rather be like removing the crosshair from every gun.
    Sure you can fight without it. You know where the middle of the screen is somehow, but only hardcore players will be able to do it under stress situations.

@ Vaana
    That defeats the purpose.
    The indicator is there for the noob. The noob would be rather unlikely to open the console and start tinkering with settings.
    If anything, it should be the other way around.
    Let the pros take it away if they want, so they have more screen real-estate.

Basic Member
    Edit: added indicators for all Shadow Shamans abilities, also tried to bind toggle off to mouse buttons, but it seems like you can't bind anything to it right now.

Messed around with a config for sake of testing, here is what I got:

Create a test.cfg file in Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\cfg with the following lines in it

Code:
    alias "ability_Q" "enable_Q"
    alias "enable_Q" "dota_range_display 600; alias ability_Q disable_Q"
    alias "disable_Q" "dota_range_display 0; alias ability_Q enable_Q"
    bind "Q" "ability_Q; dota_ability_execute 0"

alias "ability_W" "enable_W"
    alias "enable_W" "dota_range_display 500; alias ability_W disable_W"
    alias "disable_W" "dota_range_display 0; alias ability_W enable_W"
    bind "W" "ability_W; dota_ability_execute 1"

alias "ability_E" "enable_E"
    alias "enable_E" "dota_range_display 400; alias ability_E disable_E"
    alias "disable_E" "dota_range_display 0; alias ability_E enable_E"
    bind "E" "ability_E; dota_ability_execute 2"

alias "ability_R" "enable_R"
    alias "enable_R" "dota_range_display 550; alias ability_R disable_R"
    alias "disable_R" "dota_range_display 0; alias ability_R enable_R"
    bind "R" "ability_R; dota_ability_execute 4"
    Type exec text in console

I've tested it on Shadow Shamans Q, it pretty much toggles range indicator of certain value on and off whenever you press Q. It is also very half-assed, the range stays on after you use the ability so you have to hit the key again to toggle it off, in theory you can probably bind toggle off to right and left mouse buttons.
    So yeah, the point still stands, the basic functionality is in there, it's just not accessible to everyone as a proper option.
    Last edited by mk07ki; 12-07-2011 at 07:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by feyo View Post
    @ Vaana
    That defeats the purpose.
    The indicator is there for the noob. The noob would be rather unlikely to open the console and start tinkering with settings.
    If anything, it should be the other way around.
    Let the pros take it away if they want, so they have more screen real-estate.
    The bets way would be to let every player decide by themself if they want the "Skill Range Help" or not.
    So put it in the Seetings.

Or an extra "mode" for noobs/beginners.
    Noob Mode: With Skell Range Help and other stuff to make the first time playing easier.

So yeah, the point still stands, the basic functionality is in there, it's just not accessible to everyone as a proper option.
    Yeah so just put it as a checkable Box in the Settings!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by feyo View Post
    ITs a bad compromise, bcs you basically tell people to have learned their characters in 15 minutes and not any more.

And the advantage of the indicator is simply that noobs do not have any idea how long 1000 units is.
    15 minutes arent enough to change that in the short term.

And the indicator is all about changing the short term.

In the long term nothing changes as people learn the ranges by heart then anyway. (as it is now)

I meant to say the first 15 games with a particular hero not the first 15 minutes in each game.

Basic Member
    I still don't what the problem is, you guys obviously are decent enough at the game to know what 1000 units are, newer players obviously don't know this. What is the problem with giving an option to have them on so the new players don't get scared off by the already massive learning curve?

Quote Originally Posted by treyhyde1 View Post
    I still don't what the problem is, you guys obviously are decent enough at the game to know what 1000 units are, newer players obviously don't know this. What is the problem with giving an option to have them on so the new players don't get scared off by the already massive learning curve?
    I agree, Just let the single player decide if he want the "Range Help" or not.

Quote Originally Posted by mk07ki View Post
    Edit: added indicators for all Shadow Shamans abilities, also tried to bind toggle off to mouse buttons, but it seems like you can't bind anything to it right now.

Messed around with a config for sake of testing, here is what I got:

Create a test.cfg file in Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\cfg with the following lines in it

Code:
    alias "ability_Q" "enable_Q"
    alias "enable_Q" "dota_range_display 600; alias ability_Q disable_Q"
    alias "disable_Q" "dota_range_display 0; alias ability_Q enable_Q"
    bind "Q" "ability_Q; dota_ability_execute 0"

alias "ability_W" "enable_W"
    alias "enable_W" "dota_range_display 500; alias ability_W disable_W"
    alias "disable_W" "dota_range_display 0; alias ability_W enable_W"
    bind "W" "ability_W; dota_ability_execute 1"

alias "ability_E" "enable_E"
    alias "enable_E" "dota_range_display 400; alias ability_E disable_E"
    alias "disable_E" "dota_range_display 0; alias ability_E enable_E"
    bind "E" "ability_E; dota_ability_execute 2"

alias "ability_R" "enable_R"
    alias "enable_R" "dota_range_display 550; alias ability_R disable_R"
    alias "disable_R" "dota_range_display 0; alias ability_R enable_R"
    bind "R" "ability_R; dota_ability_execute 4"
    Type exec text in console

I've tested it on Shadow Shamans Q, it pretty much toggles range indicator of certain value on and off whenever you press Q. It is also very half-assed, the range stays on after you use the ability so you have to hit the key again to toggle it off, in theory you can probably bind toggle off to right and left mouse buttons.
    Also couldn't bind the mouse properly, wanted to make a hold passive where right clicking re-enabled auto-attack.
    The build in range indicator (not the circle) should be made a default option, I have no doubt about that. It won't bother the pros at all, it requires the player to move the mouse in order to get the range.
    Having a circle is another story, you see the precise range without any real user input. Disabling it would technically put you at an advantage, not so much for the above.
    Last edited by akaHideinlight; 12-07-2011 at 11:45 AM.