Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Show skill range on hotkey use, not only on mouse-over.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lsdacidfreak View Post
    While we do this make sure to increase camera distance, remove gold loss when dying, have a feature to calculate the mana cost of your combo skills, have some annoying voice effect screaming "GET BACK Or YOU WILL DIE HORRIBLY" when you are out of position (hard algorithm to implement but after what you guys did with the bots i think you can code anything!), upgraded courier and 2 sets of wards in base at game start and have a visual and audio que when creeps are in last hit range. Hell make a "i am 12yo and I deserve to win without using my brain" button you can press once a day to auto destroy the enemy ancient.
    - Changing camera distance isn't a horrible idea.
    - Gold Loss on death is a gameplay mechanic, not a UI issue.
    - Calculating mana cost of a full set of CDs isn't technically a bad idea, but implementing it to be anything other than unweildly is probably a challange; It's probably not worth it.
    - An alert when you are out of position would be touching on auto-decision making, a place a UI shouldn't go. Being out of position also represents a gameplay level decision.
    - Having items at the beginning of the game represents a gameplay mechanic, not a UI issue.
    - Visual and Audio queues when creeps are last hit-able is something that approaches auto-decision making and isn't the job of the UI. That doesn't mean that current creep information couldn't be improved. It is also important to note that even if such queues existed, by the time you'd react to the queue, more often than not, the creep would be dead, making this a meaningless gesture.

So you managed to list a bunch of things that have nothing to do with the current topic in the name of hyperbole to defend a point ("It makes my game too easy") that has been discussed to death in this thread in others. The one item you mention that happens to exist in the UI problem set actually is a valid point of discussion, but I'd imagine you'd retreat to the same lines of hyperbole instead of actually having a discussion about the issue.

My I recommend actually reading the thread in the future?

...have some annoying voice effect screaming "GET BACK Or YOU WILL DIE HORRIBLY" when you are out of position...
    One of my old friends (but pretty new to DotA games) already have this feature. Me. :-D

I think it should be optionable, if you want such a thing or not, because it will not be comfortable for all the players, but still good idea. +1

Basic Member
    part of the game is knowing what spells the other players have, when they "should" use them, and when to go in and out of battle. just as knowing when exactly to blink in and out is about knowing the game. right now, what they have implemented is fine. and about the creep issue-i agree that having the game tell you when its denyable is obsurd. denying is a skill, as it should be, and due to reaction times, creeps would already be dead by the time you listened.

Basic Member
    While we do this make sure to increase camera distance, remove gold loss when dying, have a feature to calculate the mana cost of your combo skills, have some annoying voice effect screaming "GET BACK Or YOU WILL DIE HORRIBLY" when you are out of position (hard algorithm to implement but after what you guys did with the bots i think you can code anything!), upgraded courier and 2 sets of wards in base at game start and have a visual and audio que when creeps are in last hit range. Hell make a "i am 12yo and I deserve to win without using my brain" button you can press once a day to auto destroy the enemy ancient.
    i just lol'd.

Basic Member
    How about, if everyone can see the skill range, who cares? It doesn't even make the game easier, especially if everyone has it.

only toggleable option.

Quote Originally Posted by xxniaoxd View Post
    agreed with this, but 1 more suggestion for this function is, you can turn on and turn off this because somebody will don't like it
    +1
    Last edited by Patrician; 12-25-2011 at 07:03 AM.

No. You learn skill ranges through experience, this is just lowering the skill cap.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryHan View Post
    No. You learn skill ranges through experience, this is just lowering the skill cap.
    No, making learning proccess less tedious does not lower the skill cap.