Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Show skill range on hotkey use, not only on mouse-over.

Basic Member
    In console: dota_disable_range_finder "0"

Whenever a spell-hotkey is pressed it shows area affected, range, etc etc.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Azanul View Post
    In console: dota_disable_range_finder "0"

Whenever a spell-hotkey is pressed it shows area affected, range, etc etc.
    That's totally different. This thread is about having a circle implemented (as it already is when you hover over it with your mouse) as an option to see the skill's range.

Basic Member
    Banja Luka ,Bosnia and Herzegovina(Republik of Srpska)
    Should be added as options since people that have been playing this for long time already most of times will know where the range is so its usseles

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito View Post
    That's totally different. This thread is about having a circle implemented (as it already is when you hover over it with your mouse) as an option to see the skill's range.
    Exactly.

Basic Member
    Hell no.

Basic Member
    It'll make the game too easy. Seriously, League of Legends has this and its one of the main things that make it an easy game.
    I'm a nono for this, no point to ruin Dota more and making it A LOT easier with such stuff.

Banned
    I wouldn't use it myself. Can understand some would, but it does ruin the need of feeling of using skills a bit as you know exactly when you can hit something.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 711 View Post
    It'll make the game too easy. Seriously, League of Legends has this and its one of the main things that make it an easy game.
    I'm a nono for this, no point to ruin Dota more and making it A LOT easier with such stuff.
    This is such an awful argument.

The depth of the game should be in it's mechanics, not in it's UI. Crippling a UI in the name of raising the skill ceiling is an awful idea. Can one present a reasonable argument for the exclusive of a targeting circle besides "It will make it easier"? By this logic, wouldn't it also be a good idea to only allow movement via typing in coordinates instead of allowing mouse control? It would be harder and raise the skill ceiling a great degree! Mouse control is what LoL does and it ruins my game because it makes it easier!

One should be able to interact with the UI in such a way that it feels 'effortless', so that there is no barrier between the user's actions and the user's intended actions. That should be the end goal of UI design. Obscuring information (Lack of Damage Text, Lack of meaningful range finders), Excluding information (Lack of Cast bars), and other such nonsense should be checked at the door as it has no place in a modern UI. There is a time and place for some UI restrictions (Limited field of view, non-adjustable camera angle), but those are pretty special cases for very specific reasons.

Basic Member
    Should be an option. I, for one, think it clutters things up. The skill range should be in your head anyways. But then again, no harm with this.

Agree for maybe practice games but not for matchmaking? I think that would be a fair in-between for most players.