Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: [Suggestion] 'Game is Paused' window improvement

[Suggestion] 'Game is Paused' window improvement

Hello there,

I'd like to suggest a simple addition yet that IMO will prove useful for both pubs and even tournaments.

When someone DC or team needs a time to chat about strategy, you normally pause:
    *When someone DCs, normally we say "let's wait a couple minutes" or something like that;
    *On tournaments, a team has a set number of pauses with a set time to be spent;

But how they count that? On tournaments probably a stop watch. On pubs, until someone gets bored/angry and unpauses. But you can't really tell the time without an external device (clock, stopwatch, whatever).

So, in this little 'Game is Paused' window:

The addition would be:
    Current Pause Time: {a timer here, starting from zero}
    Total Paused Time: {a timer with sum of all times + current pause here}

Like this (edited on Paint, sorry ):

Therefore when someone askes for "one minute", all players can CLEARLY see the timer. And if some douche unpauses, someone can pause again and see the Total and make the maths for the current.

This is what I mostly miss in pub games (since I'm no pro player) where DC's are constant and unpredictable.

Edit:
    On tournament/team modes, this could be done:

What do you think? Let's discuss more about this ;D

Best Regards,
    Raphael
    Last edited by RaphaelDDL; 02-28-2013 at 08:37 AM. Reason: added tournament/team suggestion image

A good idea.
    For tournament game, a timer and counter should be present but no mechanism should prevent the teams from pausing (or any automated unpause). There are some rare cases where both teams agree on a timer extension.

Basic Member
    +1

I like the first screen shot set. Definitely good for pub matches where people start raging about how someone has been paused "for like 5 minutes". People are incredibly impatient and have no ability to tell time or have a decent concept of time. So, if there's a visual counter that clearly shows that we've only been paused for 1m30s, then at least we can tell them to calm down and realize it really hasn't been that long. This also helps with the situations of long DCs where someone asks to wait, time is going by and we can at least reference the timer here and say "hey, we waited for 3 minutes, they haven't reconnected yet, let's move on."

Overall, good idea, and can be utilized in a lot of pause/unpause fighting situations.

note: The pause system is FINE as is, this is just a nice feature to have a visual aid so people can rationalize how long they've been paused, etc.

Basic Member
    good idea ... but i think you will keep calculating as there is always an idiot who wants to unpause

Basic Member
    +1

Great stuff!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by deejaybos View Post
    +1

I like the first screen shot set. Definitely good for pub matches where people start raging about how someone has been paused "for like 5 minutes". People are incredibly impatient and have no ability to tell time or have a decent concept of time. So, if there's a visual counter that clearly shows that we've only been paused for 1m30s, then at least we can tell them to calm down and realize it really hasn't been that long. This also helps with the situations of long DCs where someone asks to wait, time is going by and we can at least reference the timer here and say "hey, we waited for 3 minutes, they haven't reconnected yet, let's move on."

Overall, good idea, and can be utilized in a lot of pause/unpause fighting situations.
    Exactly what I was thinking when I got this idea. "OMG we waited 10mins" and was actually 2min, because impatient people seems to have a clock running faster than The Flash.

I normally open the Dota Profile of the DC'ed person and see the "Last Online: X minutes ago" to know barely how much we waited. But it's annoying and sometimes the person didn't logged off from Steam (Like client crash only, not energy/internet drops) so isn't 100% guaranteed.

+1
    i like it
    Never underestimate the power of the masses.

I think that this bullshit is not necessary, there should be mini-games while the game is paused.

Quote Originally Posted by Renusek View Post
    I think that this bullshit is not necessary, there should be mini-games while the game is paused.
    Of course!
    And when you are just on middle of it or winning, someone unpauses and reset your mini-game.
    Awesome.

#not

ps.: y u so polite?
    Last edited by RaphaelDDL; 02-28-2013 at 02:10 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Renusek View Post
    Yeah, mini-games will definitely help us keep track of how long the game has been paused. Super cool thread contribution. Wait... no.